• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whistler - Pemberton 08-09 official report

Couple of trucks were broken into today @ Brohm. I think if I heard right they were parked overnight but still.... we don't need that sh#t!
Anybody hear different?

the guys that were parked overnight had a golden F350 dully. they had several full jerrycans of gas and some other stuff stolen from under the deck, I don't know if the thieves got inside the truck.

last year west van police caught a guy breaking into cars at white cliff park. he was driving a stolen van with a stolen summit in it. it turned out the summit was my friend's. it was stolen with his F350 from Surrey a couple of days earlier. this piece of chit was hitting parking lots from surrey to Squamish. wondering if he's back to "work"...

word of advice to F350 owners:

all it takes to drive your truck away is a flat head screwdriver. get an immobilizer, or wheel lock. Ford is not putting immobilizers on their work trucks, not even the HD model.

lets inform the Squamish RCMP, maybe they'll set up a trap. LOL

word of advice to F350 owners:

all it takes to drive your truck away is a flat head screwdriver. get an immobilizer, or wheel lock. Ford is not putting immobilizers on their work trucks, not even the HD model.

My F350 was stolen out of my driveway in September. The theives apparently used it to do a drug run across the border through the woods and caused over 12G worth of damage to it. I put the best alarm/immobilzer money can buy in it after I got the truck back. Right after I had in installed, ICBC offered a free immobilizer to anybody with an F350 due to the high amount of them getting stolen.

F350

mine was stolen from my driveway at 5pm. I saw them drive away, called the VPD clowns right away, but they couldn't find a black F350 with a deck TOWING a white cargo trailer during rush hour in Vancouver, shocking:eek: the guy drove it to all the surrey that day, where they found it the following morning.

I got the immobilizer too, now they offer it for free.

Dug a bit at Triconi today. Sketchy. The bottom foot is very loose granular marbles and failed easily with a shovel shear test. It was 8' down. A couple other instability's in there as well. Stay clear of the alpine and ride safe people. This isn't going away for sometime, if not the season.

Did you park at Chance Creek or go in from High Falls side? I heard the Govt is towing anyone parked between H99 and the Cat shed.

Can someone share why there is so much theft in Canada? is it because you don't have any guns? :D

Joking aside - what's the deal? Not even the mountains are safe there any more. makes me think twice about bring my $$$ and truck up there...

Can someone share why there is so much theft in Canada? is it because you don't have any guns? :D

Joking aside - what's the deal? Not even the mountains are safe there any more. makes me think twice about bring my $$$ and truck up there...

Guns Have worked out well in the states there is no crime there!

Avalanche Risk Pemberton Hurley Bralorne

With the avalanche risk being high even below the treeline, I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea about the potential avalanche risk from Pemberton to Bralorne through the Hurley. Is there any areas along that route that are prone to problems.

The other area I was hoping to get to was Brandywine bowl - Is that area safe at this time.

Thanks

Chris

Last edited:
With the avalanche risk being high even below the treeline, I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea about the potential avalanche risk from Pemberton to Bralorne through the Hurley. Is there any areas along that route that are prone to problems.

The other area I was hoping to get to was Brandywine bowl - Is that area safe at this time.

Thanks

Chris

There are some huge avy paths that cross the Hurley between the steel bridge and green mountain. On the east Hurley there are some too. Right now there is probably not enough snow up high to make it to the road.

Was up in the Alpine today . The weather was quite mild and the snow has been hammered up top from the wind. The warmer weather will make natural avalanches happen easier which could help in getting rid of the facets if it goes to ground, of course you don't want to be around when it does it. The facets take quite a while to break down but warmer weather does help so there is good and bad to the milder weather. When we get a fresh dump this wind crust becomes another sliding surface. The cornices are very fragile since the facets holding them up are quite week. Saw a hugh slide started by a long corince failure setting off a slide then as it ran it stepped down to ground. Don't even think about jumping cornices and I wouldn't get within 30 feet of the edge.

Last edited:
Did you park at Chance Creek or go in from High Falls side? I heard the Govt is towing anyone parked between H99 and the Cat shed.

We parked at chance creek. Didn't seem to be a problem with parking. Probably 8-10 trucks there. The far side of the Cheak. is cleared really well for parking, but most people parked on the highway side. We went up near the cat ops, dug our pit on a ENE aspect still below treeline, and played around in the meadows and on the roads. I think riding in from Highfalls or the chance creek to Tricouni proper would be HIGH risk until things change significantly.

We parked at chance creek. Didn't seem to be a problem with parking. Probably 8-10 trucks there. The far side of the Cheak. is cleared really well for parking, but most people parked on the highway side. We went up near the cat ops, dug our pit on a ENE aspect still below treeline, and played around in the meadows and on the roads. I think riding in from Highfalls or the chance creek to Tricouni proper would be HIGH risk until things change significantly.

Thanks for the info. Parking at Chance Creek has never been a problem before but apparently technically it's illegal from H99 up to the cat shed. Something to do with danger from the barrier. Despite threats, looks like the govt. aren't enforcing it with towing. Good stuff.

Was up in the Alpine today . The weather was quite mild and the snow has been hammered up top from the wind. The warmer weather will make natural avalanches happen easier which could help in getting rid of the facets if it goes to ground, of course you don't want to be around when it does it. The facets take quite a while to break down but warmer weather does help so there is good and bad to the milder weather. When we get a fresh dump this wind crust becomes another sliding surface. The cornices are very fragile since the facets holding them up are quite week. Saw a hugh slide started by a long corince failure setting off a slide then as it ran it stepped down to ground. Don't even think about jumping cornices and I wouldn't get within 30 feet of the edge.

My boyfreind and I are thinking of going up to the Rutherford this week has anyone been up there? He seems to think it would be safer on the wide open glaciers but is a little worried about the road up. Has it been groomed?
Thanks

Trail is groomed, I don't think anyone has been on the Glacier yet. The flater glacier would be safer for avy's the problem might be the crevases may not be bridged strong enough, take lots of rope.

Grizz gotta go

goin up pemby way on the 14th- 19th will do lots of tests and report on snow conditions monday stay safe guys

My boyfreind and I are thinking of going up to the Rutherford this week has anyone been up there? He seems to think it would be safer on the wide open glaciers but is a little worried about the road up. Has it been groomed?
Thanks

I'm going up tomorrow, I'll give a report when I get down. Bringing lots of roop, uh, I mean rope.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back