• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whistler - Pemberton 08-09 official report

Looking to ride 15th - 18th somewhere around Whistler/Pemberton if anyone is willing to let me tag along. I've taken level 1 Avy certification, and have been riding for a few years now. Just up visiting Whistler for the week and decided to bring the sled along in case i could get out!

I will be driving by but will it really be worth it???? it was 43 in the alpine at Whistler today!!!!! LOL

Have fun in Revy while I am searching for more than 2 feet of snow and avoiding crevasses in Whistler! LOL

I am hitting Sicamous, Enderby and Revy last week in January!

I will be driving by but will it really be worth it???? it was 43 in the alpine at Whistler today!!!!! LOL
It might have been warm, but the last 2 days have definitely been worth it! Beautiful sunshine and decent snow. Guys are playing safe out there with a couple of exceptions, but overall pretty good riding. Watch the cornices they're getting big for this time of year, and rocky south facers are heating up in the sun and starting to get sloppy. Play safe.
Cheers.

Ok, what or where is the chocalate bowl? Is it the Toilet bowl? Gauntlet? S chute? Avalanche alley?
Thanks!

Hey Gros chien what do you mean ???? I 've been there many times I live Vancouver area been there for the last 4 years. And tha Chocolate bowl is Avanlache Valley.

Was up the Rutherford to day. Trail was groomed very nicely. Only 1.6 meters of snow at the meadows and Appa Lake. 2 meters at the bottom of the glacier and 3 at the top. It was +7C so felt like spring time riding. Coldest temp I measured in the snow pack was -5 so the facets should be starting to decompose, maybe in a couple of weeks our snowpack will be back to normal. Once we get back to colder temps things should start to tighten up but the worst might not be over untill then.

advisory

avalanche advisory is down to "considerable", does that mean the slopes are relatively safe to ride in our area now???

the current advisory is lower than it was for most of last year.:confused:

Not necessary Apache, the hazard rating "considerable" in my opinion is the hardest rating to deal with.The definition of CONSIDERABLE= natural avalanches possible. Human triggered avalanches probable. Be increasingly cautious in steeper terrain.
Really be wary of terrain traps, convex slopes, unsupported slopes, and leeward slopes(slopes where the wind deposits snow) and slopes under cornices.
After all that then it is up to you and your group and what you guys feel comfortable with.

On a different note, have you been out? I've been sick all week watching the sun wishing I was up high.

haven't been out all week, I've also been sick with a cold.

kinda wish I went today, although it must be busy with the avi course on this weekend. they sold out this year, to no surprise.

let me know if you go during the week, I can probably get away for a day.

Anyone run up the Birkenhead forest service road lately? Have a cabin there at the private end (south end) of the lake and am thinking about going up this weekend but not sure if the road has enough snow to sled?:confused:

Hey Gros chien what do you mean ???? I 've been there many times I live Vancouver area been there for the last 4 years. And tha Chocolate bowl is Avanlache Valley.
Oups! another guy from Stampede town has frenchie for nickname :face-icon-small-sho Avey valley all over the place this year :brokenheart:

Birkenhead conditions

Was up there from the 14th- the 20th. Snow is icy on the road but passable getting sparse at portage road. Decent up the hill some nerd took a toyota 4x4 to the top of 3km hill but did not chew it up too much. Supposed to snow this weekend may be up on the 30th cheers

Birkenhead Conditions

Was up there from the 14th- the 20th. Snow is icy on the road but passable getting sparse at portage road. Decent up the hill some nerd took a toyota 4x4 to the top of 3km hill but did not chew it up too much. Supposed to snow this weekend may be up on the 30th cheers

Griz, Thanks for the info. I'm opting out this weekend. If you go on the 30th, let me know what you find. May go up on Feb 7/8.

Premium Features

Back