• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whistler - Pemberton 08-09 official report

this is f---

stbd i think we are hooped talked to are buddy billy in gold bridge he says there isnt much snow and i think my buddies want to pull the plug on our trip . F--- me this is such a late season , there is still hope but i dont know if we are going to be coming up there untill we get some more pow:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

carpenter
rode the coq today...not worth the trip again, we are still gonna go up to goldbridge for christmas, maybe just for 2 or 3 days tho if there is no snow, we might go to crowfoot wednesday then drive to gold bridge after haha....i dont know what else to do, we may go to gold bridge and then just straight to revy or sicamous, i dunno, this is ridiculous

Was up the Hurley today. Unloaded at 9K , you could hear a bit of gravel every once in awhile on the switch backs. Was going to try and make it to Bralorne but turned around a few K past Hope creek because it was just to thin for my liking. Looks like some others guys had gone all the way though. Turned around and went up hope creek. Back country snowcats were still driving their trucks to their base and not even leaving any ruts, thats how thin it was. It wasn't to bad for gravel thought, turned around before the trees (had my wife with me) but up high it looked a lot deeper. Dumping tonight and heading out again tommorrow, The snowpack is pretty weak so be careful out there.

Rode on Brohm today. First day of the year. Went straight up to the ridge top but it was already getting socked in. We messed around near the cabin and found some deep spots, but generally it is quite thin. Trail was full of whoops, but otherwise not a bad day. Looks like snow in the forecast finally!

Hit Brandywine today. Lots of landmines everywhere, need at least another metre or so of snow and the stuff we got up there to firm up abit for a base. No way in hell your getting to chocolate bowl through Avalanche Valley, need a LOT more snow there!!!:(

Hurley report

Unloaded at the outdoors school, although we could have driven in to 4k. Some good sized boulders have been falling off the cliffs at the 4k parking area. Plan is to make the log sort at 4 1/2 k the parking lot sometime soon. A little thin to 18k lookout, but decent after that. Good depths at the pass(100 cm) but thins out quick after that. Dug a pit just above the pass in the trees. 105 cm depth but the good news stops after that. Really crazy snowpack like nothing I've ever experienced on the coast with a solid ice layer down 53 cm and easy SP releases on compression. Nothing but sugar under that. We experienced alot of whumping in the open glades while touring around - spooky. We need a bunch of heavy wet snow and a bunch of natural releases to make it better. Please be careful if you plan to go out.

http://www.avalanche.ca/CAC_Bulletin_Forecast?RegionID=1

www.whistlersnowmobile.com
www.snowcats.ca

We have been getting up into the alpine the last couple of days, broke trail into Headquarters yesterday. Unless you have extensive avy training and are familer with the area I would not recommend going into any avy terrain untill later in the week at the earliest. The hurley should have lots of snow now to be able to get to Bralorne for a good road ride. There are a couple of avy shoots that go to the road but there probably isn't enough snow down low to be a risk. It is always a good practise to be spread out anyways. This snowpack is quite unusual so what slopes you thought in the past were safe may no longer be the case. Ride safe

I'm guessing there's worse to come yet. Warmer temps arriving in a few days to top load the dry stuff that never adhered to the ground. Could be a while before we see any real stability compared to last season.

Except for losing my manifold bolts today, I had a great ride on Brohm! Nice pow and found lots that was still intracked! Not a cloud in the sky!

Premium Features

Back