• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whistler - Pemberton 08-09 official report

Flipped plane on Mamquam Glacier

Watching the news tonight and saw a Piper Cub on skis that couldn't get off the hill. He dropped off the passenger to get more speed, and flipped it into a crevasse.
I think it's the same guy I've seen up there before. He's ok, but the plane isn't gonna buff out. 120 horsepower just isn't enough, I guess.

Last edited:
Had some great rides the last couple of days. With a deck you can drive up to 17K on the hurley to unload. No gravel to ride on if you drive up that far. Hey Graveler those red ribbons are still hanging there and you wouldn't believe how high up they are.

Rutherford snow conditions late Mar/early April

Plan to ride up there on April 1/2. Any sense as to whether all the snowbridges before the toe to the Appa will still be present? Will we need to drive much further in than 5K to unload?

Yea you would make it, saw a couple of 2 wheel drive vehicles pulling trailers. Conditions were awesome today 20cm of fresh -8C no wind and SUN.

What a great day yesterday. Was up brandywine with our assoiation AGM ride. Yamaha had a couple of 2010 Nytro there for us to try. There was some new snow and sun and it was still pretty light on the north facing slopes. Went as far back as Millston

Saw a few groups doing some pretty retarded things, One group hitting a steep slope all at once and another group 4 stuck on a hill with another guy still riding up and down.

Also saw a couple of poo's at the end of a rope, broken crank on a 900 ( I thought those had all broken by now) and a seized motor I think on a dragon (drag on).

Should be great weather next week but the avy rating will be high on Monday

Hey Ray... Whats the access look like for a 4 place enclosed trailer. We have a group heading up this week and were trying to decide if we can throw the sleds in the trailer or if they need to go on the decks. Really dont want to ride on miles of dirt to get on the snow. Thanks!

Here is what it looked like up there on Saturday.

3457807065_c279ea20f1_o.jpg

Nice pic Shawn. Here one from up near Millston. What you see is about 5% of the riding area of the Icecap. I have tons of pics on my website. With the snow we have we should be sledding Mid May and later
Icecap%20P4140001.JPG

Best access to Whistler alpine (April 23)

What's the best access to Whistler alpine/icecap? Brandywine? Rutherford? .. who's been up on these bluebird days!?!?! Going tomorrow and Saturday.

Easy access from either point right now as there is still lots of snow. Rutherford is by far the easiest route to the cap, especially if you do not know your way through Brandywine. It is just an extra 35-40 minutes of driving from Van when you could be sledding! :)

far out

finally made it to the ice cap,it is ........ huge! Went in on rutherford, other than a 15 min delay for road construction in whistler, awesome. now if i could only figure out how to ride from brandy wine to rutherford.......maybe next week. if ive been to the snocat and a range past that, how many more ranges past that, and, where is millston?

You need to pack alot of gas especially if you are pushin snow and you are a long way back if you have problems:D and sleds never break lol

finally made it to the ice cap,it is ........ huge! Went in on rutherford, other than a 15 min delay for road construction in whistler, awesome. now if i could only figure out how to ride from brandy wine to rutherford.......maybe next week. if ive been to the snocat and a range past that, how many more ranges past that, and, where is millston?

If you have been to the Snowcat at Brandywine, then go past that through the next valley and then around "stupid hill", then west for a couple of K and then head North towards Callaghan. When you see "refrigerator" on your right (east), you head west again to the second safty barrel. Then drop down towards Ring Mountain. Once you get to Ring, you can either go up over a big hill and drop down the other side or head right towards the trees. Once around Ring, and through a avalanched area, it will bring you on to the cap. Once you get on the cap, head north until you drop down over a hill to Ryan Lake and from there you go east again towards Rutherford. I have done it tons of times but it would be tough to do if you do not where you are going. Good luck!

If my wife makes up her mind if she wants to go or not, we might do it on Sunday.

Premium Features

Back