• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

** Turny Updates **

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Rode turney today. It was Deep. Went to the backside and caused a avy to come down on me. about a 2 ft breaker. Abs pack did exactly what it should do and kept me on top. Ride safe everyone. There is a Nasty icey layer under neath all this fresh. Will be out there on sat.

If anyone wants to tag for next time we have 1 spot open in our 4 place.

05 1000sdi
06 m7
02 800.

bottom, you ok? sounds scary..what happened? did you get your sled out or did it get buried?

B
Nov 26, 2007
yeah im fine. scared the living crap out of me. sled got stuck at the top of the break and i took the slide all the way down. prob a 500 ft run. Tried to swim and couldent even move. sled is fine and is back on the trailer. Freind watched while i got swept. Dad was behind a small hill so lucky he didnt see it as it happened. Really all I can say is. Thank god I got this pack. I was Burried up to my chest when it stoped.

Sorry Don't have any pics. be safe guys. I am usally the one that dosent try way to crazy of stuff.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
yeah im fine. scared the living crap out of me. sled got stuck at the top of the break and i took the slide all the way down. prob a 500 ft run. Tried to swim and couldent even move. sled is fine and is back on the trailer. Freind watched while i got swept. Dad was behind a small hill so lucky he didnt see it as it happened. Really all I can say is. Thank god I got this pack. I was Burried up to my chest when it stoped.

Sorry Don't have any pics. be safe guys. I am usally the one that dosent try way to crazy of stuff.

glad you had the pack...and used it.....I bought one this fall..like you I normally dont do the crazy stuff......avy danger has to be huge with all the warm weather/rain that proceeded this last storm..I hope everyone heeds this and rides careful this weekend..glad your ok bottom feeder..must be a way way weird /scary feeling...

Reactions: BottomFeeder m7.
B
Nov 26, 2007
dont know the name of the bowl or area. when we went over we didnt go into the first bowl we kept going right and droped into a Different area. I think you can see it from the PowerLine side. Tell ya what. Im getting my arse into a avy class. I made the mistake.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
Glad your ok and glad the pack worked as designed. Did you call the ranger station in Girdwood and report it? If not please do, lots of people read the snow reports and they post all reported avalanches.

A

AKkatz

Jan 9, 2008
ANCH. AK
dont know the name of the bowl or area. when we went over we didnt go into the first bowl we kept going right and droped into a Different area. I think you can see it from the PowerLine side. Tell ya what. Im getting my arse into a avy class. I made the mistake.

Avay classes are a bit expensive BUT I took one when I was mountaineering alot with my brother and it was an excellent class. You learn how to recognize the dangers, and understand the snow pack (it's actually very simple to read if you know how) and you learn rescue techniques. Practice makes perfect-right well then you don't want to learn how to use a beacon or set-up a probe-line while trying to find your homey. How about: I'll start a new thread about avays and we'll see if there is much interest in getting a Sno-West crew together and get in a class.

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
Damn Robert, glad you made it out. I am seriously thinking of bitting the bullet and buy a pack this yr. I think I might go with the snowpulse though. You can get those brand new on ebay for about 829.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Damn Robert, glad you made it out. I am seriously thinking of bitting the bullet and buy a pack this yr. I think I might go with the snowpulse though. You can get those brand new on ebay for about 829.

Yeah and the snopulse is never tested and takes 3 seconds to inflate. GEt the abs.

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
Yeah and the snopulse is never tested and takes 3 seconds to inflate. GEt the abs.

I dont know about it not being tested, but I have read the snowpulse seems to be a little better.

Refill is about 30 compaired to 150
Gives you better protection againist trama
Inflates with air and slow deflates in 90 secs, that can posiably give you air if you are buried
3yr warrenty.

Not sure which is better, but I am goin hold off till i can try each on and see which feels the best for me.

S

SnowFlinger

Jan 9, 2008
Anchorage
www.myspace.com
Glad to here your ok Robert, ABS collects data, so send them your info about the accident. Also, they would send you money if only you had pictures. The most important thing is that your all right and can ride another day. You could be dead, be careful.

B
Nov 26, 2007
yeah. im gona call the avy center and tell them how it happened. The hill i was on didnt even seem that steep. Shows what a bad layer can do to ya. sucks. Watched a Dozen More Turns again. Kinda felt stupid because i did almost the same thing. Pushed it a little to far. O well. Lesson Learned.

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Better get yourself a refill kit ASAP (If you don't have one). Sometimes those things can be a pain to get shipped up here.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Mulletville, AK.
yeah. im gona call the avy center and tell them how it happened. The hill i was on didnt even seem that steep. Shows what a bad layer can do to ya. sucks. Watched a Dozen More Turns again. Kinda felt stupid because i did almost the same thing. Pushed it a little to far. O well. Lesson Learned.

Did your crew take a picture of the slide path and location? If so, please post it. Good to hear you are OK and the ABS worked its magic.

Thanks, MTNSLD

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
I need it now. :D Was going to sell just because we were going into the summer. Wouldn't want to ride without it. Definetly get one for your old man though.

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I need it now. :D Was going to sell just because we were going into the summer. Wouldn't want to ride without it. Definetly get one for your old man though.

Where are you guys buying these abs pack in Alaska, I have had no luck trying to order , they say the cartridge is considered hazardous, cannot ship, so how is everyone getting their packs.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Where are you guys buying these abs pack in Alaska, I have had no luck trying to order , they say the cartridge is considered hazardous, cannot ship, so how is everyone getting their packs.

I ordered mine thru first place parts..they shipped it fedex ground...plus their prices were pretty good......took 8 days to get here from when I placed the order...http://www.firstplaceparts.com/

Premium Features