• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation & Review: Yamaha OEM Turbo & MPI Stage One Upgrade

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
So what are all the nytros favorite skis to run? As I said I'm new to this side of sledding. (Modding your sled)

I would love some opinions on skis, a arms, shocks and so for. Right now it's all stock. Not a huge boondocker but I do wish the sled rolled over easier.

M

Madprofesor

May 2, 2012
If you are going to add an air/fuel gauge and a boost controller, here is where we put mine last season when I did this install on my 2011.

Boost Controller -

8111360871_db6b11fb61_b.jpg

O2 sensor location -

8111359606_b3876a20c6_b.jpg

If you do install an o2 sensor and put it there, drill the holes and do it on the bench before you put it on the sled. The metal shavings from the unibit I used got everywhere and we had to remove it again and use a shop vac to get them all out of the exhaust.

And here is the clutching I am using -

Weights -

4.6g toe
3.6g center and heel

Spring 2 and 6 = 80 degrees

I was given that to use by Dustin at Outlaw Motorsports, and it was perfect for me last season.

Don't quote me on this but I believe that your o2 sensor should be mounted in or by your muffler not in the header. Reason being that the back pressure the turbo creates will give u false readings thus not accurate. I mounted mine in the silencer and haven't had a problem with it. Ben running 12 psi. With stock motor and pump gas for 3 years now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Reactions: christopher

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Some pictures from the snow show, still waiting for the ECU to come back from remapping

Cool sled wrap

e6ega3ad.jpg

9usyqe3y.jpg

Project bike

amy6yrav.jpg

For our female sledders!
umyqu8yv.jpg

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Don't quote me on this but I believe that your o2 sensor should be mounted in or by your muffler not in the header. Reason being that the back pressure the turbo creates will give u false readings thus not accurate. I mounted mine in the silencer and haven't had a problem with it. Ben running 12 psi. With stock motor and pump gas for 3 years now

I had mine mounted in the muffler last year and couldn't seem to get a good reading. That thing would be pulling really hard and the gauge would often read 17:1 and above with no running issues. I also talked to a turbo manufacturer and asked about that because theirs are all pre turbo and they have seen no problems with theirs. I moved mine to just behind the collector on the header so hopefully it reads better thete

Reactions: Madprofesor

1-800Oregon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Burns, OR
I have the base 180 kit also and have been thinking about uping the boost. The thing holding me back is cost. I see you got the stage one kit but have you got anything to upgrade the fuel system? From my understanding if you want to go over about 8 psi your going to need more fuel.
I'm no expert, just want to make sure you got good information. From want I've gathered the 180 kit is good to 6 psi (had mine to 8 with some race gas no problems). 180 kit with timing reflash good to 8 with stock fuel pump, then good to 10 pounds with mpi upgraded fuel pump. Then you add stage one kit to get the last two psi up to 12 pounds.
I was ready to get the reflash, wanted that 10 pounds then was told besides the 399 reflash I would also need the 500 fuel pump.
Again this is info I got from one of the big names in making big power yamahas.
FYI

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
I have the base 180 kit also and have been thinking about uping the boost. The thing holding me back is cost. I see you got the stage one kit but have you got anything to upgrade the fuel system? From my understanding if you want to go over about 8 psi your going to need more fuel.
I'm no expert, just want to make sure you got good information. From want I've gathered the 180 kit is good to 6 psi (had mine to 8 with some race gas no problems). 180 kit with timing reflash good to 8 with stock fuel pump, then good to 10 pounds with mpi upgraded fuel pump. Then you add stage one kit to get the last two psi up to 12 pounds.
I was ready to get the reflash, wanted that 10 pounds then was told besides the 399 reflash I would also need the 500 fuel pump.
Again this is info I got from one of the big names in making big power yamahas.
FYI

Let's talk about the need for a fuel pump. Nytros have weird pumps some need it some don't. What's your altitude you ride at? I'm a huge fan of the re-flash. We can always crank you boost up and if it runs then great if not we pull a little boost or do the fuel pump. BTW our pump kit is $399.

Last edited:
Reactions: adairtd1

1-800Oregon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Burns, OR
Matt thanks for jumping in here. I dont want to highjack CBP thread but I know a lot of people are getting the reflash maybe thinking they can just turn in up to 10 psi. This is what i thought at first. I have an air fuel guage but if someone did the reflash and pushed the pump beond its limits they could be in for a big surprise. I myself usally ride 6000 - 8000 feet but can get down to 4500. I was really considing the reflash but dont want to spend 399 only to find out I need to spend another 399.

1-800Oregon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Burns, OR
Matt thanks for jumping in here. I dont want to highjack CBP thread but I know a lot of people are getting the reflash maybe thinking they can just turn in up to 10 psi. This is what i thought at first. I have an air fuel guage but if someone did the reflash and pushed the pump beond its limits they could be in for a big surprise. I myself usally ride 6000 - 8000 feet but can get down to 4500. I was really considing the reflash but dont want to spend 399 only to find out I need to spend another 399.

Also going through this thread looks like cbr is going to step up to the stage one kit and just want him to be aware that to get the most out of that kit he will also likely need some more fuel.

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
I've tried turning my boost up past 10lbs, it goes instantly lean on the af gauge. Bigger fuel pump is a necessity for those who want to run more than 10lbs.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Feel free to discuss anything in here about mpi you want. I'll start install stuff again here shortly! I'm glad to have the discussion!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
So I want to share some new parts that are going to go into my sled! These just showed up yesterday!

sujyqudy.jpg

eza4uguq.jpg

vygu2yny.jpg

I'll get nice pictures of them after class!

Go skinz!

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010

The fuel pump is always going to be the limiting factor. For your altitude I think you'll run out of fuel pump before 10#. I know here at 8-10k I was ok on the stock pump but if I went to 11 it was done. The weird thing about the Nytro is its not consistent. The re-flash will allow you to run 2-3# more boost on the same fuel grade before the re-flash. It has nothing to do with fuel pressure. The poor guys that ride at sea level need a new pump to run 5-6# sometimes. It sucks I know but we need to pay to play.<O:p</O:p

M

Madprofesor

May 2, 2012
I've tried turning my boost up past 10lbs, it goes instantly lean on the af gauge. Bigger fuel pump is a necessity for those who want to run more than 10lbs.

There seems to be differences in the stock fuel pumps I have run 12lbs for 3 years and have had it up as high as 14lbs and had o2 readings around 12. This is at 8 to 10 thousand feet. I do turn it down to 8 to 10 for riding at home 3200 feet. Haven't had any problems. Except blowing the throttle body's off. Which was a direct problem with the pice of crap BOV that came with the stock push kit that I had. But fixed the problem with good parts (ie tail bov ). Also put a intercooler on and a head shim. Intercooler to help with the excess heat build up with higher boost. Head shim because I had it apart last year to check valve lash an saws that far so figured y not. Gunna get in touch with Matt at mpi and get a set of arp head shims and thinking of going to a water to air intercooler this year but not shure on that yet. Well this got long but I'm long winded I guess lol

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
I ride from 4,000-7,000ft and I also had problems blowing throttle bodies off with my push kit last year. I'm going with mpi's intercooler upgrade and physcosled bridge fuel controller this year that should solve all my problems.

Premium Features