• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation & Review: Yamaha OEM Turbo & MPI Stage One Upgrade

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I bought this sled from Skinz and Jeff told me it was the only one they made like it. A couple of people here asked me about it too. Ive never seen another pic of one.

Thinking that it LOOKED like it might have come from SKINZ I fired off an E-Mail to Jeff last night. He replied this morning that he did in fact make that unit as a prototype for the Yamaha OEM Turbo kit that comes from MPI.

I have asked him if he could make MORE of them for anyone else wanting to get one.

Waiting on his answer right now.

I think this is absolutely THE BEST looking heat shield I have seen for a Turbo Nytro sporting the Skinz Seat!

===

Christopher,

Yes, we built two turbo sleds for Yamaha 2 or 3 years ago and this cover is one of the things we came up with to cover the turbo. We had 4 or 5 prototypes of the cover built. We sold the remaining three over the last two years. This picture is one of the sleds we built for Yamaha in which we did a deal with them to buy them back. We ended up buying only one back and a new MTX to build for a customer into a Black.

Anyway, you like the cover?

Jeff

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
This would look sweat with your new SKINZ seat if you can do the custom fabrication or find out WHO did this original one?

IMG_2001_zpscd3dd097.jpg

I totally agree this cover looks good but my innovative mind thinks how hard would it be to move the turbo forward and under the skinz seat? What would it take? A new header.

I am sure that would not be a road you would want to go down but just a thought. Hopefully you can get skinz to build you one of these.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Waiting on Jeff at Skinz to write back and let me know if he would be willing to fab up another one for Chim Chim.

Meanwhile Chim Chim is in his garage Grinding and Cutting and Riveting away right now making something work for this weekend.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I actually looked at moving the turbo further under the seat. The problem you run into is the silencer. If you just ran a straight tunnel dump it might work but there isn't much room as you move farther forward. I know a couple guys with the MCX kits that sit pretty far under the seat but their setup has the muffler going out the back.

I have ridden with some Impulse sleds that are straight tunnel dumps and those things are LOUD.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I want to see a nice clean sharp image of the sled as it is now.

Chim Chim thought it looked pretty sweet as well.
I know he just got the drawings for a new Orange/Blue wrap he is planning on putting on in December. but your sled looked pretty dang nice.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
That is gorgeous! A company called fokus graphics is currently designing me a wrap for the sled.

Alright back to the install.

So for the last steps we finished adding all the parts back to the sled. ( along with skinz seat, bumper and running boards)

When we first started her there was a bit of smoke, but Matt at mpi confirmed that it was just cutting oil on the metal. Once we got that run out of the way we changed the oil, radiator fluid and buttoned her up.

As I'm typing this up we are headed up to island park to go test her for the first time. I pray that everything works out!

ta8ehu4y.jpg

Her is what she looks like! Stay tuned for review on how the sled runs and any problems we face!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Well we are half way there.
ru6yrene.jpg

Not looking like much snow is gonna be found to play in. But then again this is a Shake down.

I have Christopher and Slash here with me so it should be an interesting day. Along with the girly, Christopher just changed the pulleys on his sled so he is also shaking down his.

Slash has found a puddle of radiator fluid under his sled...

But shania (my girl) is riding a 1991 Polaris Indy 500 with tow straps to drag us out when we all die. It may turn out that hers is the only one to make it back alive.

Lets see how MPI's 180 hp Yamaha oem kit runs. (And how well of a home install job was done)

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
That is gorgeous! A company called fokus graphics is currently designing me a wrap for the sled.

Alright back to the install.

So for the last steps we finished adding all the parts back to the sled. ( along with skinz seat, bumper and running boards)

When we first started her there was a bit of smoke, but Matt at mpi confirmed that it was just cutting oil on the metal. Once we got that run out of the way we changed the oil, radiator fluid and buttoned her up.

As I'm typing this up we are headed up to island park to go test her for the first time. I pray that everything works out!

ta8ehu4y.jpg

Her is what she looks like! Stay tuned for review on how the sled runs and any problems we face!

You need a body saw to cut the tunnel along the bottom side of the new bumper to make it look good.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
That will be happening as soon as I get a new bumper. Don't worry it will happen!

Well we finished our first ride of the season. First off that Indy 500 is never coming with us again haha

Well in relation to my turbo, the low end of it is an absolute blast. Yet when I grab the throttle the engine is missing. We used some gas we had stored rather than new gas. We will ride again next week to be sure that it's only gas. But when we got up a couple thousand feet higher than where we started the problem lessened.

At that point the turbo was just a blast, haven ridden a nytro for years this was the first time when I would go for more throttle and I actually was able to get the power I wanted. Whereas before when I was out playing it want uncommon to be throttled out and want more!

Overall MPI's turbo is great, I'm interested to see why it is missing. Once we can fix that and I can open it up all the way I'm sure I'll love it even more!

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
You're probably hitting rev limiter at lower elevations. Get a manual boost controller and you can fix that with a few turns. There are some big elevation changes in and around Island Park. It's well worth the hundred bucks. Also, I'd give MotoPsycho a call so he can get her running perfect!

Premium Features