• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation & Review: Yamaha OEM Turbo & MPI Stage One Upgrade

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
The kit I installed is supposed to be 6 - 8 lbs of boost. I'm chatting with MPI currently on what they want to do.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I called MPI last year when I had my 180 setup and this is what they said I needed in my primary clutch.

Rivet - 90261-06033-00 qty of 9

Spring - 90501-551L3-00 qty of 1

Roller - 8CR-17624-20-00 qty of 3

These are all Yamaha part numbers. You use the stock weights with a rivet in each hole. Change out the rollers and the spring to the ones listed above. The primary clutch doesn't even have to come off to do this. However, since you are planning on putting your upgrade kit on after, you will need to change clutching again and these rollers and weights aren't cheap. If I were you, I would install your upgrade kit now and then do the clutching afterwards. I'm sure someone can provide you a good setup with 10 lbs of boost and that way you will only need to buy clutching parts once.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
dont think it was the rev limiter was a loaded misfire more random than limited
The missing was VERY audible for those of us that were riding with him.
And as we gained elevation the problem dimished.
This makes us think it might be that he needed MORE OCTANE in his fuel.
So he will drain the tank, fill with fresh 91 Ethanol Free and a splash of 110 and go ride it again next weekend.

If the problem vanishes, then it was gas.
if the problem persists, then we begin the process of figuring out whats going on.

The other issue he had was with his Engine Overheat Light.
It was lit 100% of the time!
This looks like it was related to the ECU safety reflash.
But without a Water Temp Gauge, there is no way to be "Sure"...

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
The missing was VERY audible for those of us that were riding with him.
And as we gained elevation the problem dimished.
This makes us think it might be that he needed MORE OCTANE in his fuel.
So he will drain the tank, fill with fresh 91 Ethanol Free and a splash of 110 and go ride it again next weekend.

If the problem vanishes, then it was gas.
if the problem persists, then we begin the process of figuring out whats going on.

The other issue he had was with his Engine Overheat Light.
It was lit 100% of the time!
This looks like it was related to the ECU safety reflash.
But without a Water Temp Gauge, there is no way to be "Sure"...

One thing to know about the engine is that if it is denotating the water temp will go up. The denotation on the nytro is hard to hear but the coolant temp going up is a dead give away. If you were having issues and the temp was high likely you could have an issue there.

Also if the coolant system was not bled completely.

Another thought about he misfire could be related to spark plug gap. Bring the gap down to .018".

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
One thing to know about the engine is that if it is denotating the water temp will go up. The denotation on the nytro is hard to hear but the coolant temp going up is a dead give away. If you were having issues and the temp was high likely you could have an issue there.

Also if the coolant system was not bled completely.

Another thought about he misfire could be related to spark plug gap. Bring the gap down to .018".
I think he plans on pulling the plugs.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Might be hitting the rev limiter??
<O:p</O:p

That’s my guess. The gauge might only show 7500 RPM but if you’re hitting that hard that’s what it will show. The gauge reads ignition pulses, the rev limiter cuts ignition that’s why it reads so low.<O:p</O:p

Ok yep I have not done any clutching yet. Not really sure how to do that haha. But I know it needs to be done
Page 9 in the instructions has a full range of clutching recommendations based on your altitude.<O:p</O:p

Famous gems controller

Hey now I know its not the greatest but first ride?:face-icon-small-ton
Your sled looks good BTW!<V:p</V:p<O:p</O:p

I think he plans on pulling the plugs.

What’s wrong with the stock plugs? We don't recommend changing them to anything different. The stock plug work fine. We have thousands of kits working just fine on stock plugs.<O:p</O:p

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<o:pWhat’s wrong with the stock plugs? We don't recommend changing them to anything different. The stock plug work fine. We have thousands of kits working just fine on stock plugs.<o:p</o

Did you see what MY plugs looked like when I pulled them after a season or two with the supercharger??

They looked a little "rough".
picture.php

I have to give PsychoSled credit.
he had me change out my plugs and the GEMs unit for his "Bridge" controller and all my problems with the supercharger vanished..
Can't say for a fact that changing the plugs did or did not make any difference, but they were part of the packaged solution that absolutely worked.

I guess the better question for you Matt is whether or not there is any DOWNSIDE to changing out the plugs?
Since plugs are Easy to change and cheap to buy, is there any compelling reason NOT to change them?
</o
<o:pPyschosled is strongly suggesting that you swap out the OEM spark plugs and replace them with NGK CR10E.
picture.php

</o

Last edited:

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Did you see what MY plugs looked like when I pulled them after a season or two with the supercharger??

They looked a little "rough".

I have to give PsychoSled credit.
he had me change out my plugs and the GEMs unit for his "Bridge" controller and all my problems with the supercharger vanished..
Can't say for a fact that changing the plugs did or did not make any difference, but they were part of the packaged solution that absolutely worked.
I don't think it had anything to do with the spark plugs.

I guess the better question for you Matt is whether or not there is any DOWNSIDE to changing out the plugs?
Since plugs are Easy to change and cheap to buy, is there any compelling reason NOT to change them?
</O[ color="black" COLOR]<font FONT][><O:pPyschosled is strongly suggesting that you swap out the OEM spark plugs and replace them with NGK CR10E.

</O< font>
As the manufacture of the supercharger and turbo kit we don’t recommend that you need to change the spark plugs to something different. If you think it has some advantage then go ahead and do it. We just don’t think there is an advantage or disadvantage to changing to something different.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Fair enough.
The stock OEM plugs "should" do the trick in your opinion.
I guess the next thing to do would be for me to pull out the new plugs the next time I have the fuel tank off and compare them to the old ones to see if there is any significant visible difference after a full season of use.

Chim Chim is in NO HURRY to pull this fuel tank back off the sled :face-icon-small-hap, so changing out his plugs is NOT high on his priority list...

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Fair enough.
The stock OEM plugs "should" do the trick in your opinion.
I guess the next thing to do would be for me to pull out the new plugs the next time I have the fuel tank off and compare them to the old ones to see if there is any significant visible difference after a full season of use.

Chim Chim is in NO HURRY to pull this fuel tank back off the sled :face-icon-small-hap, so changing out his plugs is NOT high on his priority list...

Its even more fun when you try to put it back in after the engine is out. If there is any wire or hose that is not sitting in exactly the same spot as before it will turn into quite the job. Even more exciting if you have a trail tank that takes up more room haha.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have the trail tank on mine.
Nice to have extra gas for a hungry supercharger and NOT have to worry about ever running low on fuel!!:face-icon-small-hap

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Matt in relation to the clutching....

I saw the instructions on page 9!

But I honestly have no idea what to do with that... haha to be honest i dont know if clutching is something I can even do or do I need to take it to a shop to be done?

I would love if someone could tell me that!

Also with the spark plugs... I figure the next time I am forced to pull the seat off and the tank off I can throw the spark plugs in there! Ill go order a set of them now!

But until then I am going to pump the gas out of my sled and replace it with a higher octane and see if that does the trick!

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Matt in relation to the clutching....

I saw the instructions on page 9!

But I honestly have no idea what to do with that... haha to be honest i dont know if clutching is something I can even do or do I need to take it to a shop to be done?

I would love if someone could tell me that!

Also with the spark plugs... I figure the next time I am forced to pull the seat off and the tank off I can throw the spark plugs in there! Ill go order a set of them now!

But until then I am going to pump the gas out of my sled and replace it with a higher octane and see if that does the trick!

Dude you just installed the turbo kit by yourself! Of coarse you can do the clutching by yourself. I'll send you what you need and then we can talk about how to do it. It's not that hard at all.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
haha thanks Matt!

I really do want to be able to do this whole thing my self! But again I have no idea what goes into it!

Thank you again for your help, I look forward to hearing from you!

(lol and you know this means all of you are going to hear about this too!)

Premium Features