• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me Build the "PERFECT" SnoWest Snowmobile trailer

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

PROJack66

Premium Member
Feb 9, 2012
Watertown SD
8.5 x 38 Mission Aluminum Gooseneck

Attached is the sketch of the mission trailer I just ordered. Looks like it should cover all seasons for me. THis will hall sleds, cars, and summer toys. This is the ultimate tailgate, sledding and hunting rig.

35k Heat / 13k AC
Sleeps 4-6
Microwave
Pizza Oven
Skillet
Vented closet with boot/glove dryers
Insulated all around
Polybead floor
angled ramp door like trailswest
windows
fuel doors
beavertail
spread axle
7k axles
7.5 ft. interior.
all aluminum
28ft of clear box length because the only cabinets are in the nose all others are elevated or can fold up off floor.

When complete I'll post pics.
picture.php

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: meathooker

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Attached is the sketch of the mission trailer I just ordered. Looks like it should cover all seasons for me. THis will hall sleds, cars, and summer toys. This is the ultimate tailgate, sledding and hunting rig.

Microwave
Pizza Oven
Skillet
PIZZA OVEN???

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
That makes TWO OF US.
I figured I had NOTHING to loose for asking, and sure enough, they were more than happy to do it!
They were even OK with me coming down to photograph the whole build process!

Something tells me this will be a very large thread to follow!!!
<script type="text/html" id="overlay_tmpl">
</script>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So I heard back from Mirage last night.
We are now going through the whole long "Wish List" and working on what they can really do vs. what is outside the scope of the trailers they build.

Even with a "Custom" trailer there are limits to what they are setup to produce in an assembly line manufacturing process.

Hopefully today we will nail down the final parts list.!!

Reactions: NorthMNSledder

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Something tells me this will be a very large thread to follow!!!
<script type="text/html" id="overlay_tmpl">
</script>
Could well be.
Not at all sure what I am in for when I go down to pay them a visit.
Don't have a CLUE how long it takes to actually build one of these trailers.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Food for thought and not sure it applies in all areas. Here, when you go to a tri-axle, you are now required to stop at weigh stations. This might be something to look into for your areas of travel.

That is NEWS TO ME!

Not to derail, but I don't think that necessarily applies, especially for recreational rigs. I've been through a lot of states, and passed a LOT of 'truck cops' with my tri-axle race trailer without so much as a passing glance. I think overall weight might be the biggest concern if you get checked around here, but for a sled trailer that will be a pretty good effort to exceed.

Christopher and PROJack, I definitely want pics of your rigs posted when you get them. I see a lot of sweet features I might just need to plan on in the future.

Reactions: christopher

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
QUESTION FOR ALL TRAILER OWNERS.

How do you use your trailer when the truck is UNHITCHED?

A question about trailer use and stabilization has come up.
The general rule of thumb is that a trailer is not to be "Loaded or Unloaded" when it is not attached to a vehicle. ie, once you disconnect the trailer you're not supposed to be driving sleds into or out of it.

But the reality is in many places we visit you want to "Park" the trailer and still have your truck available to run errands.

So how are you stabilizing the trailer to allow you to move sleds in and out of it while its parked?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just got off the phone with Mirage.
Verdict is, They can do everything on the list.

mirage_trailers.gif

Turns out MIRAGE is very big on CUSTOM BUILDS after all.

The only thing standing between me and my "Perfect Trailer" will be my wallet. :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

pile-of-cash.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 94fordguy

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
Could well be.
Not at all sure what I am in for when I go down to pay them a visit.
Don't have a CLUE how long it takes to actually build one of these trailers.

My Legend took 2 months and I was quoted 3 months for the Featherlite.

But then again I wasn't going there and taking pictures of it being built, I bet they would build it quickly if you were there frequently taking pictures of the progress.

I wouldn't load the trailer without it hooked up to the truck, you would need jacks at the back and front if you wanted to do that.

I would get the larger jack at the front if you did do that. The one that cranks from the top though, not the side like the one pictured.

48000_1000.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I wouldn't load the trailer without it hooked up to the truck, you would need jacks at the back and front if you wanted to do that.

I would get the larger jack at the front if you did do that. The one that cranks from the top though, not the side like the one pictured.
Right now the plan is to have a pair of scissor jacks installed at the back of the trailer.
0001026_rv-trailer-24-scissor-jack.jpeg

Mirage told me over the phone that company policy, and industry policy is to NEVER load or unload a trailer that is not attached to the vehicle.

That said, I think we all know there are times when necessity demands we use our trailers in less than ideal conditions.

Why do you think a different tongue jack be warranted??

Not know for certain here, but I would "THINK" the key issue is read weight transfer and possible front end lifting. Though the way this trailer is being built I am guessing that is not all that likely at all. But planning ahead with the scissor jacks just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

PROJack66

Premium Member
Feb 9, 2012
Watertown SD
Jacks

I placed scissor jacks on the rear of my mission. 6 week build time on the mission also. If it's a bit longer I still bought myself a few weeks before our first trip right after xmas. Good times

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I park my trailer in my garage so I only have access to the front door, but I load and unload sleds all the time. I just have the tires blocked.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I placed scissor jacks on the rear of my mission. 6 week build time on the mission also. If it's a bit longer I still bought myself a few weeks before our first trip right after xmas. Good times

And that worked out OK for you??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
Right now the plan is to have a pair of scissor jacks installed at the back of the trailer.
0001026_rv-trailer-24-scissor-jack.jpeg

Mirage told me over the phone that company policy, and industry policy is to NEVER load or unload a trailer that is not attached to the vehicle.

That said, I think we all know there are times when necessity demands we use our trailers in less than ideal conditions.

Why do you think a different tongue jack be warranted??

Not know for certain here, but I would "THINK" the key issue is read weight transfer and possible front end lifting. Though the way this trailer is being built I am guessing that is not all that likely at all. But planning ahead with the scissor jacks just to be on the safe side.

I always felt that the stock jacks can't take too much lateral force. If you are going to load sleds, it's going to shift the weight forward when you hit the ramp. Actually I did bend the tubing on my stock jack this summer. It was a pain to crank up and down, I used a jack all until I get a new one or the insurance company hopefully writes my trailer off.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Interesting.
When I was looking at photos of scissor jacks on the net today I kept seeing ones with lateral cross bars attached to them and wondering WHY they where there. You comment perfectly explains it!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, and that is what I was going to install as well.
But mirage strongly suggested the scissors would be the BETTER solution.
My guess is because with them you can LOAD the jack and place it under pressure, whereas the other has to be free floating as it can only drop into place to the closest preset locked position.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Ya, and that is what I was going to install as well.
But mirage strongly suggested the scissors would be the BETTER solution.
My guess is because with them you can LOAD the jack and place it under pressure, whereas the other has to be free floating as it can only drop into place to the closest preset locked position.

That's odd; my last mirage had the drop stabilizers. As skibreeze said lower tongue, drop stabilizers, raise tongue to apply pressure to stabilizers. This worked loading/unloading cars as well.

Premium Features