• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Climate change

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Almost as bad as a 1988 Ford truck?
Above^^^^^^^ is an amazingly in your face ya leap frog biotches .

I had a 88 Ford with the old 300 inline . One of the most dependable engines they ever made BUT on that model they replaced the old carb with fuel injection .
It was the biggest piece of **** vehicle I've ever owned , the low end torque was gone and so was the fuel mileage . They killed that engine.

It was a manual

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I've never known fuel infection to hurt performin' ants of a motor before?
Something must have been amiss?

I was talking about the keyswitch tumbler that plagued Ford for several years in there.
Others (Toyota?) have had issues with their switches as well, but I think Ford had the worst trouble with them.

My step dad lost a nearly new truck one day.
And you could drive down the hwy and see a Ford truck burning on the shoulder, and you just knew what the cause was.

I think they have moved some of that circuitry off the tumbler and down to the black box under the hood and use relays now.

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Neighbors truck lit up the garage in the middle of the night from ignition short.
Good dog saved their lives.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com

This just in from the power supplier to my shop:

You may have seen reports about electric reliability issues facing Michigan this summer. Here’s what that means for MEC:

The electric grid is a complicated and connected system with many players. MEC does our part by connecting the wires from the high voltage transmission lines to your home, but there are others you don’t generally hear about. One such player is a grid operator, which is an independent, third-party entity that manages the nation’s electric grid. These operators ensure the system works efficiently and reliably, and they predict and control the supply of electricity. Last April, one of our regional operators, MISO, announced the results of their annual generation audit that determines if there is sufficient supply to meet demand. The results for this summer are concerning. Nine northern states, including Michigan, are 1,200 megawatts short of the supply needed to keep the lights on when demand is highest. That equals 876,000 households.

If temperatures soar this summer, MISO could require blackouts to control electric load. If they do, we will have to comply.

What is driving the shortfall? Simply put, the power grid is changing. Primarily, coal and nuclear are retiring and being replaced mainly by weather-dependent renewable energy. The challenge placed on the grid is that for every megawatt of coal and nuclear that is retired, at least 2 megawatts (often more) of solar and 10 megawatts of wind are needed to replace that supply. This is because renewables need the right sun and wind to generate electricity whereas coal and nuclear plants can run more consistently. Therefore, more renewables are needed to make up for the times they can’t run. Additionally, it is impossible to permit a new coal plant, new nuclear is extremely cost prohibitive, and natural gas is becoming more challenging to permit. Our options are limited.

There is the potential for this problem to get worse. While we are already facing power supply shortages, nearly 10% of Michigan’s generating fleet of coal and nuclear plants are slated for early retirement in the next three years. We can’t let power plant closures get ahead of the new generation that must be built to replace them.

You can help by making your voice heard with legislators. Scroll down for more information on our Voices for Cooperative Power program.

The purpose of this email isn’t to scare you; it’s to prepare you and help you understand what we’re dealing with.

We will also continue our hard work of monitoring, maintaining, and upgrading our equipment as needed to ensure that MEC’s infrastructure can handle our demand. And we will do our part to make sure that our elected officials understand the impact of premature plant closures.

Sincerely,
Robert Hance, President/CEO

Premium Features