• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Caribou Hills

I sure hope you werent the douche bag driving the white denali towing the enclosed that cussed out my friends. They were trying to pull a broke down sled up that hill, and were having a problem getting it to the top, much like a truck towing a trailer would. I was in the parking lot right past that hill and saw that truck blow by at no less than 60. If it was you... slow the hell down and you will be able to stop better....and learn some manners.... if it wasnt you then I apologize.

Yes that was us and your buds with the broke sled were off to the right but the other two where in the middle blocking the road.period. and that is a no to going sixty. just if you break down on a hill pull every one off to the side for saftey.

5am and we are just loading up and heading to the Hills for a few days a riding. If you see a Black firecat and a MXZ550f that will be my daughter and myself. Stop and say hi!
Hey I forgot to ask.............is the park up top open for riding yet?

just got home from the hills snow was deep and lots of it light sucked but what can u do stayed in the trees

i heard hc was still closed

Yes that was us and your buds with the broke sled were off to the right but the other two where in the middle blocking the road.period. and that is a no to going sixty. just if you break down on a hill pull every one off to the side for saftey.

If they were in the middle of the road then that is a different story. No one should be riding in the middle of the road, just plain dangerous. Regardless, caribou hills yesterday was the best day of riding I have had since I have been in Alaska. Tons of fresh snow, and yes High country is open. Right now caribou is a boondockers paradise. Just dont jump off your sled, youll fall chest deep in the pow..... Lot of people up there.... get to it before it gets tracked up....Absolutely AWESOME ride.... Guy pulling the trailer....no hard feelings sounds like both sides were in the wrong....

Where were you riding? There were signs up all over the place that the refuge was still closed to riding. The trails were just JUNK and not much snow from 4 corners north. May be different out towards Caribou Lake or Boxcars area.

yea not sure about HC we went form 4 corners towards testamena lake and we found DEEP snow every where it was insane im workin on pics right now

The trails all around 4 corners were junk at best. The further you headed away from Sterling HWY the better the snow got. I'm sure up closer to the tree line there were some better bowl areas of snow.
I didn't venture off and do any boondocking. I was too busy taking in what the fire had done to the entire area I love. This was the first time I was able to really see any of it up close. While we were coming into the hills Sunday we came across one of the groomers but all he was doing was clearing the trail where trees had fallen. Not enough snow to groom the trail.
I still haven't had a chance to download the pictures yet from my camera.

Rode in from Waterhole yesterday. The sign still says the refuge is closed, but I've heard otherwise, and there are alot of tracks in the refuge. Can't believe that it would still be closed, plenty of snow to cover all those annoying willows...:) The snow in the back valleys and bowls was awesome. Some places waist deep, no joke. I found it hard to believe that it wasn't already tracked up, all the parking lots were full...? Anyway, still very good snow to be found, you just have to find it. I rode turny on Sat, and the hills were a way better ride yesterday. :cool:

If the refuge was open the signs would be gone. It's also posted on they're website if it's open or not.
Waterhole Trail is one of my fav's. Love getting to the treeline and then hangin a right following the treeline to Caribou Lake.

If the refuge was open the signs would be gone. It's also posted on they're website if it's open or not.
Waterhole Trail is one of my fav's. Love getting to the treeline and then hangin a right following the treeline to Caribou Lake.

One of mine too. Do you usually ride to the lake/ Box Cars hills area on 5000 rd...? I sometimes hang a right off Waterhole as well, skirt the tree line, come to the pink cabin, and follow the hills around to the east side, but I can't seem to find any of those trails back in there...(eg. Boundry Line Tr.) Everytime I ride back in there, I never seem to ride in/out the same way as the last ride. It's fun to ride new country, but I'd like to know exacly where I am. Should get a GPS I guess and start making waypoints...:)

I've used the 5000 rd quite a bit. Fun little road.
Those trails are back there. You just have to go searching for them. And the Boundry Line Trail. Well, really isn't a trail but markers you follow. Sometimes you find markers and other times not. Somehow they get taken out.

There are a bunch of places to park. Follow Johnson Lake Rd in Kasilof to about mile 7 or 8 and you'll see the Centennial Trail entrance, Park where youi can. Clam Gultch has parking on the left hand side as your heading south. PLENTY of parking there.

or u can head even farther and take a trip down oil well road and theres parking all along that road and ur right there no long trail ride in

I didn't know Yamaha's could fly

I sure want a Yamaha LMAO :D
Drew15.jpg

Drew14.jpg

Drew11.jpg

Drew6-1.jpg

I just got back from the Hills. We went to the Glory Hole and played up on top some. We heard that it was open... Whoops..
The tree riding north and east of 4 corners was great! Stay off the trails they're for sissys.
I got to see my "New Cabin" for the first time ever though!. The new one looks alot better than the rubble left after the fire.
Near the pavillion btw.

I just got back from the Hills. We went to the Glory Hole and played up on top some. We heard that it was open... Whoops..
The tree riding north and east of 4 corners was great! Stay off the trails they're for sissys.
I got to see my "New Cabin" for the first time ever though!. The new one looks alot better than the rubble left after the fire.
Near the pavillion btw.

Now if you have a cabin up there you know well enough that if the signs are up there ain't no riding up there.....lol....didn't know.....lol

Glad to hear you have a cabin back up. Many still do not. I was lucky enough not to be affected by the fire. I won't up up this weekend but next I'll check out the tree boondockin. With no tree coverage now I'm sure any tracks made during the day are windblown away at night

Premium Features

Back