• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alaska Conditions and BSing Statewide

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Man, that 500 was sweet too, oh well.....lol. Is she lovin the new 700? I wish i could get a christmas present liek that but all i ever get is socks.

Its all good, i have something in the works, but like i said its a secret.

Don't make me pull out the mod bravo. I'll ride cantwell if it gets more snow, that's about as far south as I'm headed until february though.

Just spoke with the nicest lady at the Seward Ranger district :) They did not get hardly ANY snow from that predicted storm that was supposed to hit last night.

All of the Seward Ranger District is still CLOSED to motorized use :( ...but, she did say that she would call me as soon as it is officially open. (specifically Carter Lake and Primrose trailheads)

got me a powdermax instead. cant wait to try it out!

Nice! Now youll be somewhat competetive. hahah. j/k man you should really like your sled now! It will be interesting to see how they climb with different clutches...Wanna test it out tommorrow? Give me a call.

i cant go this weekend....ive still got to get kims car back together...

probably next week, wed or thurs...or something....( i still need to dress the sled in its new skirt anyways...)

Just spoke with the nicest lady at the Seward Ranger district :) They did not get hardly ANY snow from that predicted storm that was supposed to hit last night.

All of the Seward Ranger District is still CLOSED to motorized use :( ...but, she did say that she would call me as soon as it is officially open. (specifically Carter Lake and Primrose trailheads)

Thanks for the update. Man and here I was going to hope we had a repeat of last years ride/party in Seward for New Years LOL

Good time, fun memories!

hey firecat i think that primrose is a lot easier then snug harbor is and i ride a short track snugs got some tricky climbs

hey we can go together since we are the guys on the "old" machines hahaha

Haha no doubt, im definately down to ride, you can show me what my sleds capapble of. im still a rookie. ive only got a few rides under my belt on my other friends sleds. i have a crap load to learn but there is only one way. ride with someone that makes you learn by playing catch up. i have a trailer and my buddy has a sledbed if only it fit in my truck. haha but once i get back i will be in touch. in the mean time let it snow, oh yea i got extended another week so now im not looking to be home til jan 24th. vance

Lookin' good!!!!

Heres the latest....

Today...Snow showers west of the parks highway this morning. Mostly cloudy elsewhere with snow showers likely in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 4 inches...mainly west of the parks highway. Highs in the teens to lower 20s. Light winds.

Tonight...Snow west of the parks highway with accumulation of 3 to 6 inches. Cloudy elsewhere with scattered snow showers. Lows 5 to 15 above except 5 below to 5 above toward the park and around willow. Northeast wind 10 mph.

Sunday...Snow likely west of the parks highway with up to 3 inches accumulation. Cloudy elsewhere with a chance of snow. Highs in the teens to lower 20s. North wind 10 mph.

I agree...not to many trail sleds getting up the snug side....but i could have used a set of studs going up primrose last year:D

See, I keep hearing different stories from different people. No studs in my track or my daughters track so we'd have a hellva time getting up primrose. Getting down too would be no fun for my daughter. Me I don't mind.

See, I keep hearing different stories from different people. No studs in my track or my daughters track so we'd have a hellva time getting up primrose. Getting down too would be no fun for my daughter. Me I don't mind.

Well last year it did the freeze melt thing a lot so the trail through the trees where snow doesnt get to much was solid ice....but right after it snows a lot isnt too bad but you have to break trail (if someone alredy hasnt) so really the best time to go up either side is before 500 others already have!! Snug harbor becomes a trench fest after a dump and a few people climb it and if it does the freze thaw then its REAL harry....so its all weather timing but primrose is the easier climb definately less techincal BUT its is a longer ride to the playground and i found if bad weather sneaks up on you primrose is easier to "see" on the way out but even when it was icy it wasnt steep enough to cause any issues coming down.:D

so im to lazy to post in the set place but p-vill had good snow close to a foot in the trees it was windy so u can figure what that did to the swamps but willow had a crap load of snow driving through it on the highway.

Anyone want to ride tomorrow? Don't care where...north, south, doesn't matter. just want to get out.

I drove up snug harbor rd tuesday, it was nasty. I've never seen it so icy. 4x4 with studs and I still had to chain up. I made it a half mile from rainbow lake, there was about a foot of snow. I hiked to the lake, it is frozen.

Primrose is by far the easiest way to get up to Lost Lake.Easiest drive in the truck,best parking, and The simplest trail. There are 2 gradual hills that can and do get icy,but if you aren't sleeping when you hit them, they usaully aren't much of a problem. All that to say, it is my least favorite way up because it is by far the longest and is kneep deep moguals for about 9 miles at crawling speed. Also the best way to tow out a dead one should that become an issue. The drive out Snug can scare anyone and can be a real pain if you are pulling a 4 place and hit the end of the road with nowhere to turn around and have to turn the trailer around by hand. That road is almost always sheet ice beyond the school bus turnaround. It does not get sanded beyond there. At times to turn the trucks around you have to put them in 2x4 and have guys push the backend around in a circle on the road. Depends on how late you get to the end and how many are already there.Right now it is all a mute point since it is closed and the rangers are writing tickets to the poachers up snug daily.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back