• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting the Chain on the 2023 Gen 5 Ski-Doo Summit Sleds

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Just verifying level, it’s like a tiny bit on the chain case oil each ride. The tensions what is most notable. I’ve ordered the proper gears/chain that was supposed to come with the 23’ turbo, and will report back what happens after I install and ride. Would suspect less chain tensioning and hopefully solve problem as others have found.
if the chains are stretching because of slop in the coupling, you’ll still have that even with a new chain or did you order the TKI fix?

P

pnw.yami

Oct 23, 2020
if the chains are stretching because of slop in the coupling, you’ll still have that even with a new chain or did you order the TKI fix?
I havnt installed anything, still stock. But my plan is to install the TKI to fix the slop. And install the proper HYVO gears/chain to prevent the chain failure. When i searched the part # for the 53t gear my sled comes with, the sleds that come up are all NA sleds, with the exception of one turbo. I’d rather play safe with the parts that are listed. One guy I’ve chatted with installed the gears off his 21’ turbo after ordering a new 23’ chain because original chain failed on the mountain. The new 23’ chain he ordered did not fit the gears that came with his 23’ obviously. Since then he hasn’t had to tension chain every ride. Not sure if he also did the TKI solution or just the proper HYVO stuff.

Last edited:

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
No rubbing on mine near inside of chaincase. Bottom gear is wobbly though. Very little rub mark on inside of tensioner. I think with proper chain tension this shouldn't be an issue? Chain looks fine. My mileage is at 475. Tki axle kit otw. Ended up ordering hyvo chain n gear set as well 20/51

Last edited:

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Hotrod sled shop has hyvo kits in stock they are team/venom parts that are very good stuff . Fact is the china chain in the china5 just can’t take the hp of the turbo R and the movement of the coupler and from poor fitting bottom gears .

Since I have put a 2022 track shaft and hyvo gears in my 23 I haven’t had to adjust the chain once before this I was checking it every day
Will the hyvo setup fit on a 23 driveshaft?

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
i should pull my chain case apart and look to see what’s in there my sled is like 581 on the serial number how many did they build and are they all the same?

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I have broke a few chains when landing hard on the power a while back but I know it was operator error. With this new sled having this much power and a track that really hooks we are finding weakest link.

T
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
i should pull my chain case apart and look to see what’s in there my sled is like 581 on the serial number how many did they build and are they all the same?
From what it looks like and the part numbers showing different on the parts breakdown for some and yet some are correct. I would bet there was not enough supply HYVO chain and they outsourced and it’s biting customers in the butt. My lynx uses a different chain and I have only tightend it once barely. My dads xrs has taken a few turns now. Are these chains with a different part number a HYVO design but not a BorgWarner product? Or are the gears not a correct p/n as well? And if it’s not a HYVO and not a silent chain then what is it? Might take my dads apart and take a look at what I find. I ordered the tki for my sled, but might have to put it in my dads if the lynx are not having issues with this.

snowpatrol

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup WA.
you can pull the plug off the top of the chain case cover and see what numbers are on the top gear and the chain.

P

pnw.yami

Oct 23, 2020
Agreed, More importantly, these failures need to be documented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When i went to my dealer yesterday it seemed like nobody had brought all this to their attention. My salesman was already aware of the TKI solution. The non-HYVO parts were NOT on their radar. It appears a lot of this chatter blew up this weekend on their internal forums though. Now that this has been brought to their attention, they told me they needed a sled that had actually failed (have my buddy who's chain failed submitting a claim) in order to start a warranty claim. So its a tough one because if people are preventatively replacing parts, there is no claim to start since nothing technically failed....

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I put a claim in on my brand new sled in December, when I noticed the parts fiche discrepancy vs the parts that were in my sled. It was either a shoulder tap for BRP to update their fiche to help the parts counter, or my claim gets approved I possibly get a replacement set of hyvo. Still crickets from BRP.
There has been a full set of hyvo on the shelf for me since Dec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
here are pics of the chain and gear set on my 23 shredder turbo 3900. Correct part numbers according to the parts fiche. Although this is a “silent chain” which from my understanding is not as strong a HYVO. But for those of you who are suppose to have HYVO but have a different part number what chain do you have? Also the lower gear rock is not as bad as some I have seen videos of. Tki kit on the way. Not sure if I should slap it in and chance warranty issues if something were to happen. 267 miles on my sled. Adjusted chain once at 75 miles and was still solid when I took it apart. Figured I would check everything out since I’m updating the rollers on the secondary. I also have the RPM charge tube and blow off I can put on, but not sure how I feel about putting a hole in my intake socket boot.

F2107C7C-F18D-42CB-8A11-EB09D045F409.jpeg 8BE72845-417D-42A4-99DE-FA336D4B15D4.jpeg AA72CF2C-D872-49E8-AD25-B30A3E35A265.jpeg

Premium Features