• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting the Chain on the 2023 Gen 5 Ski-Doo Summit Sleds

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
here are pics of the chain and gear set on my 23 shredder turbo 3900. Correct part numbers according to the parts fiche. Although this is a “silent chain” which from my understanding is not as strong a HYVO. But for those of you who are suppose to have HYVO but have a different part number what chain do you have? Also the lower gear rock is not as bad as some I have seen videos of. Tki kit on the way. Not sure if I should slap it in and chance warranty issues if something were to happen. 267 miles on my sled. Adjusted chain once at 75 miles and was still solid when I took it apart. Figured I would check everything out since I’m updating the rollers on the secondary. I also have the RPM charge tube and blow off I can put on, but not sure how I feel about putting a hole in my intake socket boot.
Thats called rexnord aurora.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
That’s what the sticker on the case says. But the parts fiche says silent chain. What’s the difference between the Silent chain and aurora? HYVO still stronger? View attachment 399670

I’m not sure, I tried looking it up. It looks like a stronger bigger pin chain. I heard the lynx had a different gear and chain, and they are not compatible with the other two.
I know the difference between hyvo and standard chain is the cut of the pitch, and the chain has thicker plates.

T
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I’m not sure, I tried looking it up. It looks like a stronger bigger pin chain. I heard the lynx had a different gear and chain, and they are not compatible with the other two.
I know the difference between hyvo and standard chain is the cut of the pitch, and the chain has thicker plates.

I can’t find anything on this type of chain either. I did find a Rexnord silent chain for a comparison. Moon of the chain is different on this one. So I am assuming it is stronger than the average silent chain, but stronger than borgwarner? I have no idea.

60D8B1C7-EED2-4CAD-A049-6A95025EDC1C.jpeg

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
here are pics of the chain and gear set on my 23 shredder turbo 3900. Correct part numbers according to the parts fiche. Although this is a “silent chain” which from my understanding is not as strong a HYVO. But for those of you who are suppose to have HYVO but have a different part number what chain do you have? Also the lower gear rock is not as bad as some I have seen videos of. Tki kit on the way. Not sure if I should slap it in and chance warranty issues if something were to happen. 267 miles on my sled. Adjusted chain once at 75 miles and was still solid when I took it apart. Figured I would check everything out since I’m updating the rollers on the secondary. I also have the RPM charge tube and blow off I can put on, but not sure how I feel about putting a hole in my intake socket boot.
This is a great chain and gears same durability as the hyvo .

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
got the hyvo stuff in and the TKI kit.

Is the TKI kit a proper fix? Or something the dude threw together to sell. TKI fix dosent seem like a long term solution more of a temporary thing. Seems like if you want to properly fix the wobble you need to change to a 22 driveshaft, sprockets and chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Is the TKI kit a proper fix? Or something the dude threw together to sell. TKI fix dosent seem like a long term solution more of a temporary thing. Seems like if you want to properly fix the wobble you need to change to a 22 driveshaft, sprockets and chain.

Sent from my iPhone using i
It’s a great product IMO he’s selling it way too cheap. A track shaft from a 22 is 550$ Canadian by the time you pay the tax on it . Also the track shaft was available a week ago but is now on back order .
The best would be TKI kit and upgraded chain gears ,
If you guys are riding a 154 you can go to 21/51 and a 114pin chain as the 154s are geared way to low same ratio as a 175 ??‍♂️
You can’t just keep cranking the chain tight there’s a limit to the chains ability to stretch if you tightened it more than 4 times it’s at its limits

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019

I really don’t know but it seems like a long term fix but I want something to see me thru this season and not have any issues for an upcoming sled trip and then I’ll deal with whatever BRP comes up with, if anything.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
I really don’t know but it seems like a long term fix but I want something to see me thru this season and not have any issues for an upcoming sled trip and then I’ll deal with whatever BRP comes up with, if anything.

If this turns out to be more I’m sure BRP will have a fix for it. What that looks like I have no idea.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
If this turns out to be more I’m sure BRP will have a fix for it. What that looks like I have no idea.

We will find out on the 20th of February.
I doubt we will see anything for this MY, especially if there are no claims put in for concerns or failures.
I would be putting a dial indicator on the bottom sprocket and see what the actual movement is.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
It’s a great product IMO he’s selling it way too cheap. A track shaft from a 22 is 550$ Canadian by the time you pay the tax on it . Also the track shaft was available a week ago but is now on back order .
The best would be TKI kit and upgraded chain gears ,
If you guys are riding a 154 you can go to 21/51 and a 114pin chain as the 154s are geared way to low same ratio as a 175
You can’t just keep cranking the chain tight there’s a limit to the chains ability to stretch if you tightened it more than 4 times it’s at its limits

It’s a great idea and a fast solution if you are having wear in your chain case that some are experiencing. Piece of mind for those that are concerned.

Would love to know where you get your data from that these chains provided by BRP can only be tightened 4 times before it reaches its limits…

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
We will find out on the 20th of February.
I doubt we will see anything for this MY, especially if there are no claims put in for concerns or failures.

Well according to these forums and the members that have experienced chaincases failures BRP should have tons of claims flying in from all these blown up chaincases on the G5.

I mean if the TKI guy went out of his way to create a product to fix the wobble that BRP engineers either overlooked or didn’t see a problem with there must be a problem. Unless he is capitalizing on a few failures and forum hype to line his own pockets

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
It’s a great idea and a fast solution if you are having wear in your chain case that some are experiencing. Piece of mind for those that are concerned.

Would love to know where you get your data from that these chains provided by BRP can only be tightened 4 times before it reaches its limits…

Normally a chain will just keep stretching till it out of its stretch limit. Does BRP provide a length limit for its chains? I have never seen one but I have had regular rexnord chain stretch gauges at work to monitor stretch.
IMO when a chain stops stretching is when I get concerned.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
One other issue that I can see in long term is tunnels cracking because the shaft free floats from side to side if you put your foot on one side of tunnel and pull on other with the track of the ground you can make the shaft pull out of the coupler with some effort. So there’s going to be movement on jumps side hills , tail lands you name it . After the tki install you will notice your running boards feel stronger and you will loose the harmonics in the boards . Toms plan was to fix more than just the play . It was to tie one side of sled to other like it should be

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Normally a chain will just keep stretching till it out of its stretch limit. Does BRP provide a length limit for its chains? I have never seen one but I have had regular rexnord chain stretch gauges at work to monitor stretch.
IMO when a chain stops stretching is when I get concerned.

I’ve also never seen a chain length spec either. The manufacture of the chain would have that I presume.

The chains I have seen fail the pins in the chain get worn, bent and will even widen the holes on the plates. I presume with skidoo using standard chains and the wobble in the driveshaft is causing them to fail earlier. Sounds like the prototypes didn’t have the new driveshaft.

I still feel BRP will monitor this and provide a fix if it warrants it. Unfortunately for us the end user we are stuck either with choosing the TKI fix,new driveshaft/chain/gears or run with the factory setup and monitor. For me I have 5 G5’s in our group and haven’t seen a failure or an issue yet so I will just keep on the factory setup. If I was to keep this sled for another season I may look at an aftermarket fix.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
One other issue that I can see in long term is tunnels cracking because the shaft free floats from side to side if you put your foot on one side of tunnel and pull on other with the track of the ground you can make the shaft pull out of the coupler with some effort. So there’s going to be movement on jumps side hills , tail lands you name it . After the tki install you will notice your running boards feel stronger and you will loose the harmonics in the boards . Toms plan was to fix more than just the play . It was to tie one side of sled to other like it should be

Hmmm interesting haven’t seen or heard of this till now. I can see how the fixed shaft or the TKI fix would solve this.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019

yeah, as others have said the '24s will prolly have this issue dealt with. in this reality of everything being backordered, a blown chain case is a season-ender.

Premium Features