• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting the Chain on the 2023 Gen 5 Ski-Doo Summit Sleds

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Dealer called me today and told me more than half of the sleds are built with the wrong chain and gears because skidoo rushed them out the door in October and November. Parts are back ordered until April but my dealer is fixing them for free. Here’s to another month of hoping my sled doesn’t leave me stranded. ?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Dealer called me today and told me more than half of the sleds are built with the wrong chain and gears because skidoo rushed them out the door in October and November. Parts are back ordered until April but my dealer is fixing them for free. Here’s to another month of hoping my sled doesn’t leave me stranded. ?

Fixing them with what if the parts are backordered?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
your dealer’s statement basically says that some sleds did leave with proper components but I haven’t seen a ‘23 turbo with hyvo from the factory.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Aww yea I good story is a brewing!!! A chain panic will cause a chain reaction and we are upon the 2023 BRP Chain investigatio. May the best whiner win.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
No problems with Rexnord Aurora chains and sprockets here in Europe. My friends have tons of new turbos, some +1500km and not a single issue

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
No problems with Rexnord Aurora chains and sprockets here in Europe. My friends have tons of new turbos, some +1500km and not a single issue

There is plenty of G5 skidoos that have no issues either. Buddy of mine is closing in on almost 3000km on his changed his belt once. 4 of us are sitting at 1000-1600km with no issues either. BRP has recognized there is some type of issue so we will see I suppose what happens with the 24’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
sounds like they shoulda put aurora components in the US sleds vice the silent chain. the coupler is a whole 'nother issue.

Last edited:

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
There is plenty of G5 skidoos that have no issues either. Buddy of mine is closing in on almost 3000km on his changed his belt once. 4 of us are sitting at 1000-1600km with no issues either. BRP has recognized there is some type of issue so we will see I suppose what happens with the 24’s.

Important things to thing about are track length hp and rider weight creating extra torque on the chain and possibly failure. My buddy’s sled that blew a chain at 420 miles and my sled that has 950 miles on the original chain were both maintained by myself and both 165 turbos, the only difference we can find is rider weight I’m 190 with gear while he is 250. Could this be why his sled blew prematurely?

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
What about the snow load in the skid frame?Soon they will say you have to clean it out while riding to reduce weight ,if different weight is the cause

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Important things to thing about are track length hp and rider weight creating extra torque on the chain and possibly failure. My buddy’s sled that blew a chain at 420 miles and my sled that has 950 miles on the original chain were both maintained by myself and both 165 turbos, the only difference we can find is rider weight I’m 190 with gear while he is 250. Could this be why his sled blew prematurely?

Well we are all on G5 165 Turbos, I am probably the lightest at 165lbs and the heaviest guy is 275lbs or so. With everyone else between. Maybe weight has something to do with it but I doubt it. Seems more draw of the luck coupled with maintenance perhaps Without failure numbers from BRP we will never know how wide spread it was or wasent. Obviously enough for them to make changes for the 24 season though.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
It will be like the S module on the G4 that some broke with light impacts and some could take a beating and doo quietly made improvements over the model years.
After personally seeing how much slop is in the driveshaft splines that came out of my sled.
I’m glad I have a solid shaft now. I know it works, and so does the hyvo on high Hp, and High load applications.
I was never concerned about the rexnord chain, yes it’s not a tough as the hyvo, but I have never seen the link’s breaking like they are and the bottom sprocket. It’s the same design sprocket as the 21, 22. So the major driveline change is?

How many have broken the rear plastic suspension mounts, I know of guys that have and it’s probably a good idea to have a spare with a spare bolt and c-clip.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
So based on the gear & chain bulletin from BRP, does this mean turbo folks could possibly get gears and chain installed on warranty as per the schematic. 57F3055C-75ED-4AA9-9B4C-970DADB51064.jpeg

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
So based on the gear & chain bulletin from BRP, does this mean turbo folks could possibly get gears and chain installed on warranty as per the schematic. View attachment 401826
anything’s possible but I suppose it’ll be determined by how many instances they figure will occur over time which will determine the cheapest route for brp to take.

E
Dec 19, 2007
It will be like the S module on the G4 that some broke with light impacts and some could take a beating and doo quietly made improvements over the model years.
After personally seeing how much slop is in the driveshaft splines that came out of my sled.
I’m glad I have a solid shaft now. I know it works, and so does the hyvo on high Hp, and High load applications.
I was never concerned about the rexnord chain, yes it’s not a tough as the hyvo, but I have never seen the link’s breaking like they are and the bottom sprocket. It’s the same design sprocket as the 21, 22. So the major driveline change is?
I agree with what your saying. How many '21 & '22's did you hear having gear/chain problems.... not many. Biggest change this year was the two piece shaft. Chain and gears not really the problem. A stronger hyvo chain would've just made the problem show up later down the mileage road. Gears are all made of the same material from '21-'23, just cut different for the chain. I changed the oil and inspected my chain and case after break in at about 265 miles. Oil was fugly. Chain and gear were in one piece and showed no signs of breakage. Case on the other hand showed severe chain slapping and rub marks on the case cover, case back, and case bearing hub reinforcements from the chain and the gear center contacting the hub. I changed my shaft to a '19 one piece, used a '19 53T gear, with the silent chain and top gear that came in my sled this year at about 350 miles. Before the change it was 1.5 to 3 turns on the chain adjuster before each ride depending on the length of the previous ride. After the change (and 350 miles later...) I've had to adjust the chain one half turn total. All of this has also been with the pin in the stock location where they have always been, not in the hole. The screw is not backing itself out... Just what I've found so far, hope it helps someone.

Premium Features