• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting the Chain on the 2023 Gen 5 Ski-Doo Summit Sleds

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
So what parts did he get? They they give him hyvo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He got the chain off a 22 freeride turbo that was converted to belt drive, gears and case were not damaged. When we pulled the chain out there was about 10 links that had been broke on the outside.

I’ve posted the info below before but please carefully read !!!!!!!!

The belt adjuster has 2 slots for the pin that holds it in place. The factory puts the pin in the slot closer to the case but farther away from the head of the bolt. This makes it possible to adjust the chain without removing the pin. You need to move the pin to the slot closer to the head of the bolt. After talking with our dealer and a local hillclimb racer we discovered having the pin in the hole farther in slowly lets the bolt back out. My buddy has 350 miles on the new chain and has only adjusted it one turn in and my original chain with 900 miles also has not been adjusted since switching the pin location.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Lemme guess, it has the Cummins? That trans is junk. Gotta go gas and get the ZF H8P or the 3500w/Cummins and the Aisin.
Yup Cummins half my miles are with a trailers 5-24k lbs but no excuse for such an early failure. I should have a 3500 but don’t. Warranty on it until 100k miles then ats will be getting some money from me.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
He got the chain off a 22 freeride turbo that was converted to belt drive, gears and case were not damaged. When we pulled the chain out there was about 10 links that had been broke on the outside.

I’ve posted the info below before but please carefully read !!!!!!!!

The belt adjuster has 2 slots for the pin that holds it in place. The factory puts the pin in the slot closer to the case but farther away from the head of the bolt. This makes it possible to adjust the chain without removing the pin. You need to move the pin to the slot closer to the head of the bolt. After talking with our dealer and a local hillclimb racer we discovered having the pin in the hole farther in slowly lets the bolt back out. My buddy has 350 miles on the new chain and has only adjusted it one turn in and my original chain with 900 miles also has not been adjusted since switching the pin location.

Was his chain that broke, a rexnord non hyvo that broke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I just checked part numbers and the gears/chain are "same" as my '21 Turbo. So, if they are shipped without the parts that were supposed to be in there, that's definitely a BRP issue.

Your sled has hyvo in it from the factory in your 2023? What length sled do you have?

E
Dec 19, 2007
I don't have a '23, I just looked at the parts diagram.
The parts diagram is wrong. It's wrong in the fact that the sleds didn't ship with the parts listed in the parts fiche. If the parts are available now, great. But, that means a new top spocket, bottom sprocket, and chain as the sleds were shipped with Rexnord silent chains and sprocket (same as NA sleds) not the HYVO the parts fiche lists.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I’m curious
How many times did you adjust your chain
How many turns roughly
Did you change case oil ? How many times and what oil ?
I’m trying to document all the failures
First few 100Km I could turn it a full 2-3 turns every few rides. So I would guess 6-8 turns. Then from there on out maybe 1/4 turn every couple rides. I always checked my sled by rocking the secondary. Chain case oil was changed with BRP oil at roughly 7-800km. Only changed it once. Chain case blew at 1800km. I checked it before every ride.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
First few 100Km I could turn it a full 2-3 turns every few rides. So I would guess 6-8 turns. Then from there on out maybe 1/4 turn every couple rides. I always checked my sled by rocking the secondary. Chain case oil was changed with BRP oil at roughly 7-800km. Only changed it once. Chain case blew at 1800km. I checked it before every ride.

Full turns or clicks. I doubt I had 3 full turns in 320 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Dealer told me everything would be warranty. Second time my Gen 5 has been down this winter. This time it's 3-4 weeks to get parts and we are getting the best snow of the year right now, ended up buying a boost today. Hoping for better luck. All 3 Gen 5's in my group have been in the shop for various issues this winter.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Full turns or clicks. I doubt I had 3 full turns in 320 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Turns. My first ride check after 100km or so I could not believe how much I had to turn the adjuster in, same after a few rides after. My track is the same tighten it every few rides, it just keeps on stretching and all lugged rods broken. On drive belt number 4 in 1800km. I’m diligent with maintenance. My 2022 Gen4 turbo was way less maintenance.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Turns. My first ride check after 100km or so I could not believe how much I had to turn the adjuster in, same after a few rides after. My track is the same tighten it every few rides, it just keeps on stretching and all lugged rods broken. On drive belt number 4 in 1800km. I’m diligent with maintenance. My 2022 Gen4 turbo was way less maintenance.
Yeah these gen 5 sleds need some work to get the to the point the 21-22 gen 4 were . Too much china sourced parts also .

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
On the track issues that guys are having come with a track that wants to grip everything it encounters. It hooks up like no other track on the market. If you want 2000 miles out of it put a 2 in on. It’s no different than buying mt tires for your truck there great but no milage.

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
Dealer told me everything would be warranty. Second time my Gen 5 has been down this winter. This time it's 3-4 weeks to get parts and we are getting the best snow of the year right now, ended up buying a boost today. Hoping for better luck. All 3 Gen 5's in my group have been in the shop for various issues this winter.
My boost went down at 1800 km. Parts backordered until May. Local doo dealer had a backed out G5 turbo and I was annoyed with Polaris enough to buy it. Reading these inspirational posts on the doo forum sure make me feel great about my $27,000 March snowmobile purchase. While my other $27,000 snowmobile sits in the sun in the dealers yard for next 3 months.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
My boost went down at 1800 km. Parts backordered until May. Local doo dealer had a backed out G5 turbo and I was annoyed with Polaris enough to buy it. Reading these inspirational posts on the doo forum sure make me feel great about my $27,000 March snowmobile purchase. While my other $27,000 snowmobile sits in the sun in the dealers yard for next 3 months.
Just ride it I have had no problems yet. i understand the is an issue but I think there would be some blown chains because of how this track grabs anything it can. Landing under power has its consequences.

Premium Features