• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting the Chain on the 2023 Gen 5 Ski-Doo Summit Sleds

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Norma said just keep adjusting the chain
I think he very well rides enough to understand the problem.

I have heard enough about this to start making me question if I will make it out on any given day which changes how I ride. I am currently around 900 miles on my 23, and have re-tensioned the chain 5 times, which is 3 times more than I have ever had to previously. I will be checking it again when/if I ride this weekend. Most of the places I ride we do not have the luxury of being able to afford/want helicopter rides.

Hope this never is an issue in my group, but it seems more and more reports make it a little concerning.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
These blown cases look like a bottom gear failure. Can anyone confirm if the chain actually broke on these failures?
I don’t know which “these” your are referring to but here is a pick of my buddy’s at 430 miles. Didn’t have to replace the sprockets or case just the chain. He got very fortunate as it broke at low rpms going downhill. F0761213-F1FA-4149-B95F-C7C7E7DA0A9A.jpeg

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
But now to be serious. There has bin a lot of dumb stuff said about this topic , I’ve know about this problem waiting to happen very early on .
The place brp needs to add some weight is in this chain case . Min of a 15w Chain not 13w and hyvo at the very least . Bottom sprocket should have a wider area were the splines are to prevent the sprocket from flexing on the shaft. And go back to the solid shaft no one cares if they can change a track in 20 mins .

I know there’s a few on here that don’t like what I say but I put it out there like it is I stand by what I said . You CANT just keep cranking a chain tight on a failed system that is prone to stretching a tight chain . Fix the problem properly and never look back . The gen 4 turbos were not doing this I have customers with 3000+ kms of mountain riding on 20.5 to 22 turbos that I maintain there chains and most were adjusted max of 3 times .

Also one thing that you might miss and this was mentioned by another guy the coolant hose behind the sound shield is rubbing through and leaking if you got a aftermarket muffler and removed them pieces you will be fine . Mine I caught early and protected it .

I did put a file in with my dealer about my chain,gears , drive shaft and flat shocks they are well aware of the problem and have for some time .

mntnguide

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
Jackson, WY
Curious, anyone know of any lynx failures? I had my chaincase apart last weekend to change oil and just take a look. 400 miles, zero rubbing or marks in the case. Yes, the bottom gear moves to much just by finger touch, i have a tki kit on the way. But, i have not heard of any lynx blown chains/cases yet, has anyone else? The lynx gears and chain are different than the skidoo with the rex/aurora, and the chain is only an 11W... but supposed to be stronger or closer to hyvo. My only issue, I was not able to gear up to a 22T with my shr clutch kit cause the difference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

E
Dec 19, 2007
It's not the chain failing, it's the gear failing. Centers are getting spun out of the gear. There are a couple of flaws to it over all. One flaw is the well discussed two piece shaft and the "wobble" it allows. Not enough support with just the skinny bearing in the case to handle all the load of the gear/chain set and the load on the track and drive shaft. This allows the gear to cock over and the chain to bind then boom. And with the center of the gear having seven holes in it to remove weight, there is your failure point on the gear. It also doesn't help that they changed the drive shaft and gear starting in 2021 to be shorter over all and lose the outer raised hub on the gear itself, just to save a few ounces. Yes, you can swap a '21 or '22 drive shaft in and reuse the bottom gear your '23 came with. You could also use a '17-'20 shaft with the correct drivers all ready on it and a '18-'20 bottom gear. Another option is any shaft from 2008 - '20, press new Avid drivers on and a bottom gear from a '18-'20 and have a solid one piece shaft and a solid center, reinforced center hub gear set. These are silent chain options though. Unless someone know different I've only been able to see HYVO gears listed on the Ski Doo part for the shorter style shaft. Is there a aftermarket out there that will fit the longer shaft prior to '21?

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
Curious, anyone know of any lynx failures? I had my chaincase apart last weekend to change oil and just take a look. 400 miles, zero rubbing or marks in the case. Yes, the bottom gear moves to much just by finger touch, i have a tki kit on the way. But, i have not heard of any lynx blown chains/cases yet, has anyone else? The lynx gears and chain are different than the skidoo with the rex/aurora, and the chain is only an 11W... but supposed to be stronger or closer to hyvo. My only issue, I was not able to gear up to a 22T with my shr clutch kit cause the difference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lynx/Ski-Doo made in Europe have no issues as seems to be that we have better and stronger sprockets and chain. I have heard or seen zero issues here.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Well I have the 2022 hyvo and driveshaft installed in my G5 now. Little more piece of mind on the reliability side. My chaincase showed no signs of rubbing that I have not seen before, it’s common to see minor rubbing around the chain tensioner.

H

hkollie

Apr 21, 2013
Could you please post a list of Part names and numbers from the 2022 G4 Turbo Expert Fiche that would be needed to complete a solid axle conversion on the G5?

Here is my start:
Drive Chain, 116 Links, Sku: 504153759
Sprocket 21 Teeth, Sku: 504154188

Sprocket 53 Teeth
Sku: 504154167

Drive Axle Ass'y
Sku: 504154023
Thank you kindly, I am a advanced beginner wrencher and def need expert support before I jump over the fence and tear down the sled. KO

If someone has the Lynx parts instead....would take those!

E
Dec 19, 2007
Could you please post a list of Part names and numbers from the 2022 G4 Turbo Expert Fiche that would be needed to complete a solid axle conversion on the G5?

Here is my start:
Drive Chain, 116 Links, Sku: 504153759
Sprocket 21 Teeth, Sku: 504154188

Sprocket 53 Teeth
Sku: 504154167

Drive Axle Ass'y
Sku: 504154023
Thank you kindly, I am a advanced beginner wrencher and def need expert support before I jump over the fence and tear down the sled. KO

If someone has the Lynx parts instead....would take those!
What sled you have?

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Around 1800km on my sled. Chain case exploded today. Had to leave the sled on the mountain, will tow out in a few days. Parts are not available in my area for a few weeks. I was very diligent with my chain tension and also changing the oil. Skidoo 100% has a durability issue.

Premium Features