• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting the Chain on the 2023 Gen 5 Ski-Doo Summit Sleds

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
3% is what information I was given from numerous industrial mechanics . Also researched with dealers they told me after the first stretch of the chain you have a 4-5 time adjustment and chain should be replaced. I don’t make this stuff up in my head I actually do some research . Maybe I’m getting the wrong information from dealers and individual mechanics?

You are correct, Im a industrial mechanic myself, worked on lots of chain drives over my career, when the chain stops stretching is when I would be concerned, they usually break after that.
I have 320miles on my chain and I didn’t have to adjust it this past weekend.

I will be also doing spline checks and taking measurements and readings while im doing the hyvo and the 2022 driveshaft

Info for you, The rexnord aurora chain that the lynx has, is a 11w vs a 13w according to someone I know that had his lynx chaincase apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I
Jul 5, 2001
Can’t believe skidoo went away from the HYVO chain and gears if that is what really happened, did they run out of inventory and just start stuffing silent chain and gears in there because of supplier issues or was it some engineer trying to loose rotating mass in that area ?? Wrong spot if so….. back in the MOD days we started with the Polaris XLT 13 plate chain, then the RMK 700 came out with HYVO, then in our watercraft 1250’s we put the 15 plate and stronger drive shafts ( And we still broke those !!!! ) I know buddies that have had skidoo’s since the 90’s and some of those sleds NEVER HAD A CHAIN TIGHTEN IN IT….and never had a failure like some of these G5’s. I gave up my snow check because this was just one of the reasons and after hearing there is more hp coming down the pipe, this drive shaft set up will have even more failures if they don’t change the design….
just my .02 and we will probably never know why they needed a set up to “faster track change” unless they know for a fact there tracks won’t last like the old sleds use to……

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
I was wondering why this post was removed ?
Today on Facebook I seen kuster had a chain case exploded I know that guy knows his **** and has the ability to maintain and fix pretty much anything so chain maintenance is only going to go so far on these sled
I have a feeling the boys at brp are scrambling to come up with a solution to there design flaw . Hears another c5 chain case bottom gear was rubbing to outside case .

4E5E0B62-CF0C-49B8-AC1D-7A7B136898DB.jpeg 6F1EBAE7-389B-4A16-AF9F-25C4EF320374.jpeg B40ADF49-7433-4758-AB65-4AA460EEF60B.jpeg

U
Nov 29, 2007
the quick change hub that the gear sits in needs to have 2 brgs to support it one on the chain case side and one on the chain case cover side like polaris did on their chain case models to support the out board brake.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i figure the evolution of this is the really aggressive riders and/or the sleds with the loosest couplers are failing first. over time, many of the rest will fail as the wear and wobble increases combined with the continued cranking down to tighten the chain. not a good feeling on the mountain wondering "when".

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
There will be a admittance of a issue soon ?if they don’t before spring order it will effect spring orders I would think. I know that knowing the chain case is a jack in the box would deter me from ordering a skidoo.
Yes but just think how fast the chaincase part of a sled build is now for BRP. The cases can be assembled and oiled and installed vertically, all in one shot. The old way was piece by piece in the chassis. This is the real reason BRP built these cases the way they did. A good idea only they need to redesign to last now.

I
Jul 5, 2001
If I remember correctly, didn’t Arctic Cat have a long bolt from brake side to diamond drive to hold drive shaft assembly together? That would help this issue but might not “fix it”……

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Yes cat tied both sides together with a bolt through the drive shaft. Might be a patten on that technology. I say just go back to the proven solid shaft big deal it takes a bit longer to change tracks . At this rate the chance of changing a gen in a c5 is greater than a track lol .

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
Saw on Muskoka's video today that Deryk grenaded his chain case. Happened shortly after Matt blew up his primary on the 9R. Two for one deal on the helicopter ride out lol.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Saw on Muskoka's video today that Deryk grenaded his chain case. Happened shortly after Matt blew up his primary on the 9R. Two for one deal on the helicopter ride out lol.
good shot of it at 40 minutes in. that's a lot of force to blow out the cover like that, prolly wouldn't feel great if that hits your leg.

Premium Features