• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting the Chain on the 2023 Gen 5 Ski-Doo Summit Sleds

L
Mar 8, 2011
Well I’m hearing of chain cases on gen5 exploding from the coupler in the chain case getting to much play and wrecking everything there’s some guys down for the season because there’s no chain cases available. I’ve seen the pictures and a video but will not share as the guy asked me not to . Another thing is I think dealers have to swap out our rear shocks if we complain about them sacking out . Mine I had rebuilt from my shock guy he said it was down to 190psi and oil was done already.
Same deal on the shock, brand new sled and the rear end sit 1.5" below full travel.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Cool, thanks. I just ordered the gears and chain. May be completely unnecessary but I’ve towed a sled off the mountain and I hope to never do that again. Plus there’s the peace of mind.

Also I was informed that the chain and probably gears out of the Lynx Shredder Turbo are a stronger version as well, from a different manufacturer, than Borg Warner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

hkollie

Apr 21, 2013
I believe the part numbers for the 23 are wrong.

The part numbers on the hyvo stuff are not the same as what was in the machine.

The stock 23 stuff is supposed to be the same chain set as the naturally aspirated stuff.

I could probably get those numbers tomorrow.

But for what it’s worth, I specifically ordered what a 22 turbo showed for parts. Never even looked up a 23, as I knew it was not the chain set as years past for the turbos.

I am confused....BRP parts shows the same part numbers for sprockets and chain on 22 and 23 turbos.....are we saying that what is on our machine from the factory is different from the parts available on the BRP parts catalog?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
The parts in the 23 turbo are Definitely NOT the same part numbers as the 22 turbos.

Just make sure sure order the parts for a 21-22 turbo. You should be good.

As I said before, I believe the parts fiche is not correct for the 23 turbos.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
I see on big johns Facebook he’s now installing the g4 drive shafts in g5 he agrees the two piece shaft is a problem, or poor design he’s got a picture of a wrecked case and guys committed on there with more than enough failures. Boys and girls don’t just keep cranking the chain tight every ride fix this problem.

P

pnw.yami

Oct 23, 2020
Hi - Figured I'd add in more real world examples to show that this is not an isolated event/ just 'forum rumors'. Although, I will say that the gen 5 turbo is a SWEET sled and the power/ride feel is awesome! But this weekend after chatting amongst a few of my immediate buddies, I can report:
  1. My buddies' 23' turbor chain blew up at 330 miles, stranded him in the Whistler backcountry and had to leave sled overnight. (No pics yet)
  2. I saw the issue and took apart my own chain case today on my 23 turbo r to find slight wear on the inside chain case. I'm at 200 miles
    • YAMI_CHAIN_WEAR.JPG
  3. My second buddy also took his 23' turbo r chain case apart to install the TKI solution today and had much more wear on the inside of his chain case, at 350 miles
    • TG_WEAR_1.JPEGTG_WEAR_2.JPEG
  4. We (along with 2 other 23' turbo r users who have not taken apart their cases) have all experienced the 'abnormal amount of tensioning' we need to do for our chains after each ride
Upon our chatter, I spent hours digging into this, between reading forums like this, facebook, and other outlets, it appears there are some common theories:
  1. The issue could be the two piece design on the drive axle, solved with TKI's solution: https://tkicnc.com/product/g5-chain-case-retainer-w-speed-sensor/
  2. As stated very early in this thread, the parts received (53 tooth sprocket, 21 tooth sprocket, and chain) do not line up with what the parts finder online says.
    1. According to the parts finder,
      1. The 53 tooth sprocket should be: 504153997
      2. The 21 tooth sprocket should be: 504153910
      3. The chain should be: 504153397
    2. What I actually have on my sled:
      1. 53 tooth sprocket: 504153998
        • YAMI_53_SPROCKET.JPG
      2. 21 tooth sprocket: 504153910
        • YAMI_21_SPROCKET.JPG
      3. Chain (mine also reads 'LB537' as caper11 called out on page 1. Although the part # is not stamped on it (or I could be blind..probably the latter)
        • YAMI_CHAIN.JPG

So my question would be, we can eliminate the slop TKI identified with the TKI solution, but if we do indeed have the non-HYVO spec sprockets/chains, do we replace with the items listed on the skidoo fiche? Or do we skip that, and go to something third party like the this: https://www.hotrodsledshop.com/skhygechkitf.html ? Ultimately, for me, the goal is to have piece of mind that my chain is not a ticking time failure that will happen while I'm out in the backcountry leaving my sled stranded and me two-upping back home...

P

pnw.yami

Oct 23, 2020
Hi - Figured I'd add in more real world examples to show that this is not an isolated event/ just 'forum rumors'. Although, I will say that the gen 5 turbo is a SWEET sled and the power/ride feel is awesome! But this weekend after chatting amongst a few of my immediate buddies, I can report:
  1. My buddies' 23' turbor chain blew up at 330 miles, stranded him in the Whistler backcountry and had to leave sled overnight. (No pics yet)
  2. I saw the issue and took apart my own chain case today on my 23 turbo r to find slight wear on the inside chain case. I'm at 200 miles
  3. My second buddy also took his 23' turbo r chain case apart to install the TKI solution today and had much more wear on the inside of his chain case, at 350 miles
  4. We (along with 2 other 23' turbo r users who have not taken apart their cases) have all experienced the 'abnormal amount of tensioning' we need to do for our chains after each ride
Upon our chatter, I spent hours digging into this, between reading forums like this, facebook, and other outlets, it appears there are some common theories:
  1. The issue could be the two piece design on the drive axle, solved with TKI's solution: https://tkicnc.com/product/g5-chain-case-retainer-w-speed-sensor/
  2. As stated very early in this thread, the parts received (53 tooth sprocket, 21 tooth sprocket, and chain) do not line up with what the parts finder online says.
      1. The 53 tooth sprocket should be: 504153997
      2. The 21 tooth sprocket should be: 504153910
      3. The chain should be: 504153397
      3. Chain (mine also reads 'LB537' as caper11 called out on page 1. Although the part # is not stamped on it (or I could be blind..probably the latter)

So my question would be, we can eliminate the slop TKI identified with the TKI solution, but if we do indeed have the non-HYVO spec sprockets/chains, do we replace with the items listed on the skidoo fiche? Or do we skip that, and go to something third party like the this: https://www.hotrodsledshop.com/skhygechkitf.html ? Ultimately, for me, the goal is to have piece of mind that my chain is not a ticking time failure that will happen while I'm out in the backcountry leaving my sled stranded and me two-upping back home...
Forgive my typo. The 21 tooth sprocket on the 23 fiche part number should be 504154188. In case anyone else is trying to order. But good luck, right now the three desired HYVO parts are all backordered ?

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Hotrod sled shop has hyvo kits in stock they are team/venom parts that are very good stuff . Fact is the china chain in the china5 just can’t take the hp of the turbo R and the movement of the coupler and from poor fitting bottom gears .

Since I have put a 2022 track shaft and hyvo gears in my 23 I haven’t had to adjust the chain once before this I was checking it every day

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
well Isn,t this thread just a ray of ****ing sunshine. I am heading out west on Friday for 7 days and plan on putting on more miles than the chain is designed for.

P

pnw.yami

Oct 23, 2020
@ Bobsledder - we did not run our chains loose.

All 4 mentioned riders are meticulous in our care, I check my tension after each ride and prior to each ride once the sled has warmed up. I also top off chain case oil every ride, along with check belt tension. Unfortunately, it's not user negligence. Even mid-ride i'll find myself tensioning the chain out of curiosity and it needs 1/2 turn.

P

pnw.yami

Oct 23, 2020
      1. The 53 tooth sprocket should be: 504153997 <<<Error I looked at the wrong 23' turbo model. The correct on the 23' turbo parts fiche is 504154167.This should match up with 21/22 summit x expert fiche part #
      2. The 21 tooth sprocket should be: 504153910 <<<Error I looked at the wrong 23' turbo model. The correct on the 23' turbo parts fiche is 504154188. This should match up with 21/22 summit x expert fiche part #
      3. The chain should be: 504153397 <<<Error I looked at the wrong 23' turbo model. The correct on the 23' turbo parts fiche is 504153759. This should match up with 21/22 summit x expert fiche part #

Correction to my previous post on the 23' parts that are listed on the fiche. I used the fiche for the 51' tooth summit x expert turbo r

1. The 53 tooth sprocket should be: 504153997 <<<Error I looked at the wrong 23' turbo model. The correct on the 23' turbo parts fiche is 504154167.This should match up with 21/22 summit x expert fiche part #
  2. The 21 tooth sprocket should be: 504153910 <<<Error I looked at the wrong 23' turbo model. The correct on the 23' turbo parts fiche is 504154188. This should match up with 21/22 summit x expert fiche part #
  3. The chain should be: 504153397 <<<Error I looked at the wrong 23' turbo model. The correct on the 23' turbo parts fiche is 504153759. This should match up with 21/22 summit x expert fiche part #

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory

All 4 mentioned riders are meticulous in our care, I check my tension after each ride and prior to each ride once the sled has warmed up. I also top off chain case oil every ride, along with check belt tension. Unfortunately, it's not user negligence. Even mid-ride i'll find myself tensioning the chain out of curiosity and it needs 1/2 turn.
This is clearly a operator’s issue ???
Come on guys you can’t believe you have to tighten your chain every ride .
The only way your not going to have issues is if you ride easy all day or use your sled to just carry your snow board around ?

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
well Isn,t this thread just a ray of ****ing sunshine. I am heading out west on Friday for 7 days and plan on putting on more miles than the chain is designed for.
If you have more than one g5 I would absolutely carry an extra chain in the truck. buddy and I tighten ours every other ride, his blew at 430 miles mines still intact at 710 miles.

B
Nov 29, 2007
Sicamous

You have to top off your chaincase oil? Loosing oil somehow or did you mean just verifying level?

P

pnw.yami

Oct 23, 2020
You have to top off your chaincase oil? Loosing oil somehow or did you mean just verifying level?
Just verifying level, it’s like a tiny bit on the chain case oil each ride. The tensions what is most notable. I’ve ordered the proper gears/chain that was supposed to come with the 23’ turbo, and will report back what happens after I install and ride. Would suspect less chain tensioning and hopefully solve problem as others have found.

Premium Features