• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting the Chain on the 2023 Gen 5 Ski-Doo Summit Sleds

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Wonder how it will be for warranty with the TKI fix it, should there still be a problem? Keeping in mind that adaptor insert will still be in the shaft.
i'd guess they'll deny warranty which shouldn't be surprising for a couple of reasons to include the utilization of an untested part by another company plus they have no control or idea of whether or not the disassembly or reassembly was done properly.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
normally i'd wait to see if this is a systemic problem but i opened my chaincase after one short day out (returned with 87% break in still left) and i was surprised by the amount of fine metal particles in the oil. don't know if that's the normal situation as the surfaces of the chain and gears "adapt" to one another or not but figured i'd play it safe and do this mod.

I change my oil after breakin and always the same amount of filings on the XP, XM,G4 and G5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Skidoo knows it’s an issue by now, too many sleds reporting this to dealerships. No way they are going to deny warranty. We will see an update for 2024 is my guess. My chain hasn’t let go but I have never tightened a chain so many times in such few miles.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Skidoo knows it’s an issue by now, too many sleds reporting this to dealerships. No way they are going to deny warranty. We will see an update for 2024 is my guess. My chain hasn’t let go but I have never tightened a chain so many times in such few miles.
I believe his questions is, if you install the tki and still have a failure, are you liable after the alteration.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
There’s probably a update in the works from brp , thing is honestly how many of you guys think being able to change track in 20 minutes is that important? The old solid shaft on the 180 hp sled is likely what should of bin used . I certainly don’t mind having to open the chain case to replace the track ,
The first year sleds always have there flaws and I expected this . There is a lot of home runs on this 23 summit too . Like anything they just have to own up to the issue fix it and move forward, I just think it’s better to let people know there’s a problem and there working on a fix maybe prevent a guy from heading into them dark secret spots in the backcountry that needs a helli ride out . Or make the decision to not ride until there’s a fix to prevent smashing the chain case out of there sled .

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
There’s probably a update in the works from brp , thing is honestly how many of you guys think being able to change track in 20 minutes is that important? The old solid shaft on the 180 hp sled is likely what should of bin used . I certainly don’t mind having to open the chain case to replace the track ,
The first year sleds always have there flaws and I expected this . There is a lot of home runs on this 23 summit too . Like anything they just have to own up to the issue fix it and move forward, I just think it’s better to let people know there’s a problem and there working on a fix maybe prevent a guy from heading into them dark secret spots in the backcountry that needs a helli ride out . Or make the decision to not ride until there’s a fix to prevent smashing the chain case out of there sled .

I always thought that insert on the drive shaft was a dumb idea. I did not think it would be engineered they way it was, if the bearing mounting was solid and not holding the bearing in with a circlip it may work that a lot of stress on the circlip with loose splines.
Quick change shaft is good for track testing but not for longevity if the splines have too much play, but if they wanted to be cute and innovative, a belt drive for quick gear changes is more desirable.
Also kinda interesting that some sleds got hyvo and some didn’t.

So the 2022 shaft fits in there, did you reuse the bearing on the insert?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
Yes but how would they know ? Your dealer would have to be awful to let brp know you had this on your sled .
Dealers typically have to send in photos to BRP on warranty claims. If they took pictures of a chaincase failure and saw the TKI retainer glued inside of the shaft or the shoulder bolt, it's a dead giveaway even if your dealer is on your side.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Dave Narona: Is Doo going to do anything about this issue? Is a fix in the works?

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
How many actual failures have we seen? I mean there are tons of G5s on the snow. For me this looks the same as charge tube failing, some might happen but not yet to be seen as wide issue.

For manufacturers these kind of breakdowns are purely math. When enough cases come to their system, they start studying whats happening and if it gets too costly they will fix it, either if its design or subcontractor issue.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
How many actual failures have we seen? I mean there are tons of G5s on the snow. For me this looks the same as charge tube failing, some might happen but not yet to be seen as wide issue.

For manufacturers these kind of breakdowns are purely math. When enough cases come to their system, they start studying whats happening and if it gets too costly they will fix it, either if its design or subcontractor issue.
If it is my sled, I don’t want any “failures” because of a design defect.

The fact that it is showing up on sleds on this forum signals it’s an issue.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
Yeah totally agree. Season is too short for any kind of failures. I havent seen any on social media, fb groups or on people that I know. So Im not worried yet.
I have seen one charge tube failure in person and Im not worried about those either.

Here in Europe atleast, old chain&sprockets on turbos were made by Borg Warner, now its made by Rexnord. Old and new chain&sprockets dont fit to each other.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

I imagine you could ride out with a charge tube failure but not with a chain failure.

Premium Features