• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting the Chain on the 2023 Gen 5 Ski-Doo Summit Sleds

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Looking at those pics, it seems the coupler coming out was the result of the original chain failure, look at the gear it’s destroyed.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Call your dealer, tell them Snowest forum said there is an issue. Haha. Sorry bout the damage, that sux ballzz

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Swap them out to Borg Warner HYVO chain and forged sprockets.. Check, Venom Products (Team)

Polaris started using low cost powdered metal sprockets before changing to belt drive also. Total cost cutting measure. The sprockets wear super fast since they are not forged.. super annoying. Change lube often if you run the PM sprockets.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Mine spit the chain out the top of the chaincase this weekend. Wrecked the case, cover and chain. Was in a bad spot so I roached another chain and gears to get it out dry. Mine has the old silent type chain and gears in it which is garbage and absolutely not up to the task of turbo power. I’ve checked tension every 2 rides, made it 650 miles.
It’s going to be a fight but BRP is gonna warranty it…ridiculous for the sled not to have the components that the fiche says it has. I would have changed them if I would have known they put garbage in it out of the crate. Bottom line, the sled was suppose to have Hyvo stuff in it, parts diagram says it has Hyvo in it. But it doesn’t. What a mess, will have wrong chain on wrong gears all over the place

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
It’s partly the chain but mostly the bottom gear is rocking from the 2 piece cupping system. You are honestly better to have the chain on the looser side from what I have seen. Every time the chain is tightened and the bottom gear moves under load it stretches the chain more and more until it breaks or jumps of the bottom gear and then wrecks everything.
I’ve warned guys of this but was pretty much laughed at .
Best fix 2022 drive shaft and hyvo gears and chain or better yet TKI belt drive. Tki has a fix for the coupler if anyone wants to fix the problem I think you can pre order now .
There’s no reason you have to adjust the chain every 2 rides . Evan them old pre hyvo chains my buddy has a 18 165 that’s had a sidekick turbo on it from new and has never **** a chain .

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
After my buddy blew his chain I asked local hillclimb racers and worked with the dealer. I was told that the new style adjustment “don’t have to pull pin” rattles loose and there is a second slot closer to the head of the adjustment screw that is permanent and requires pulling the pin again to readjust. His chain was tightened every other ride but the bolt backs itself out.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
normally i'd wait to see if this is a systemic problem but i opened my chaincase after one short day out (returned with 87% break in still left) and i was surprised by the amount of fine metal particles in the oil. don't know if that's the normal situation as the surfaces of the chain and gears "adapt" to one another or not but figured i'd play it safe and do this mod.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Wonder how it will be for warranty with the TKI fix it, should there still be a problem? Keeping in mind that adaptor insert will still be in the shaft.

Premium Features