• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjusting the Chain on the 2023 Gen 5 Ski-Doo Summit Sleds

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
We all paid for the stronger and better hyvo gears and chain and I think we should receive them or at least be given a heads up that hyvo was not what we got and offer a credit. It would cost over $300 in parts to convert back to hyvo.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I just saw that the Boondock Nation boys broke a chain on their Gen5 Turbo. It had 150 miles. This is the same sled that they forgot to tighten the rear axle up and speared the track. Don't know the full details.

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
We all paid for the stronger and better hyvo gears and chain and I think we should receive them or at least be given a heads up that hyvo was not what we got and offer a credit. It would cost over $300 in parts to convert back to hyvo.
I agree. I’m sure someone will have a excuse why they didn’t use hyvo stuff , I think it’s just a shortage of parts and there tossing what ever they can into it to get it out the door . I broke a chain in a 2017 free ride in 17 with 250 kms , no warranty on chains I was told destroyed the chain case also . I’ve run belt drive since but haven’t on the gen 5 because my feet are too big for the right side running boards as is . Belt drive steals some room .

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
I just saw that the Boondock Nation boys broke a chain on their Gen5 Turbo. It had 150 miles. This is the same sled that they forgot to tighten the rear axle up and speared the track. Don't know the full details.

Those guys don’t tell the whole story. The guy that keeps breaking parts is 100% his fault or bad luck for that rock through his cooler. Only way to fix that properly is to rig weld it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Do you guys think the hyvo chain and gears would be a worthwhile upgrade?

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
Well I’m hearing of chain cases on gen5 exploding from the coupler in the chain case getting to much play and wrecking everything there’s some guys down for the season because there’s no chain cases available. I’ve seen the pictures and a video but will not share as the guy asked me not to . Another thing is I think dealers have to swap out our rear shocks if we complain about them sacking out . Mine I had rebuilt from my shock guy he said it was down to 190psi and oil was done already.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Well I’m hearing of chain cases on gen5 exploding from the coupler in the chain case getting to much play and wrecking everything there’s some guys down for the season because there’s no chain cases available. I’ve seen the pictures and a video but will not share as the guy asked me not to . Another thing is I think dealers have to swap out our rear shocks if we complain about them sacking out . Mine I had rebuilt from my shock guy he said it was down to 190psi and oil was done already.

You have a link to this information you are hearing?

F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
With my power sports repair business I do business with at least 150 vendors all over Canada,USA I get information shared with me from guys in the industry.
I’m not posting the pictures I was asked not to because the guy is well known to the industry and is working on a fix for the issues.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
whatever the coupler is and if by too much play means slack in the chain then i've always followed norona's suggestion of determining chain slack by rotating the secondary as opposed to just tightening the adjuster some amount.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
You have a link to this information you are hearing?

figured there'd be some buzz about this over on snow and mud as it's primarily mountain riders but haven't seen anything.

Last edited:
F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
figured there's be some buzz about this over on snow and mud as it's primarily mountain riders but haven't seen anything.

I haven’t seen any reports of chains breaking on the G5’s first I heard of it. Anytime I seen a chain break or case damage has been user error. Not tightening, over tightening and taken apart not put back together properly. Im sure it happens but it seems rare.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Keep checking your chain tension frequently. It’s surprising how much I’ve had to tighten mine with 700km on my sled. Seems it needs tightening every few rides.

Premium Features