• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
Quote: The user RKT went inactive in 2013 and a new name took its place.

Sooooooo which name took it's place........
I'm sure the tip toeing will continue, So full disclosure, you are/were RKT, but now ADDIE correct ?

I have not posted on SW for over 5 years as RKT because everytime I did, it turned into THIS. As shown in this thread, perfectly. You can see, the instant Dan said I was Indydansucks, he was no longer able to hold his composure and all the technical "discussion" disappeared. VERY SAD!

Like mentioned, BEFORE, that, the discussion had alot of good and valid information and now that information has been backed up via a Polaris memo.

maurfello

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2009
Washington
Polaris released this today just because of this thread lol :face-icon-small-coo

aa49b1e8e89092b147167a716fa1c23f.jpg
Can we get more on this???

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I have not posted on SW for over 5 years as RKT because everytime I did, it turned into THIS. As shown in this thread, perfectly. You can see, the instant Dan said I was Indydansucks, he was no longer able to hold his composure and all the technical "discussion" disappeared. VERY SAD!

Like mentioned, BEFORE, that, the discussion had alot of good and valid information and now that information has been backed up via a Polaris memo.
a company scared of using his real identity, what a shame.

No matter if you're right or wrong. No matter if Dan is right or wrong at least he is no hiding behind an anonymous pseudo. He could get lots of shiit when posting here be because he owns a business. You should do the same.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
NOBODy falsely represented themself. I am pretty sure your name is not legally "Summit8rmk" is it? 90% or better of you users do not use your real name . It is your right and mine as well.

Dan came on here and told everybody that I was this guy name "indydansucks". I denied it because it was false. Dan's INformation was 3rd hand info and was incorrect. It is that simple.

Did you notice how what started as a VERY informative DISCUSSION ,between Dan and myself, where you guys learned alot about honing, pistons and plating, IMMEDIATELY, turned into a drama fest Via you guys and Dan the instant Dan thought I was somebody else? The information stopped and the disprespect started (not from me)

The information was still valid but all you guys could see and do was dramatize the entire thread. The validity of the information does not change with who is explaining it.

It is also nice to see that most everything I was stating has been backed up today in memo by Polaris. Go figure.

The user RKT went inactive in 2013 and a new name took its place.

In short, Phatty is 100% correct and privacy rights were violated and the moderators performed illegal actions.
I do not have an issue with you or your posts.
I think u remained polite and well composed throughout the discussion.
I wish Dan would have kept his composure.
I enjoyed the discussion between both of you.

You did however state that you are not RKTeK several times.
That is a misrepresentation.

You did intentionally create a new user name to deceive people. (You did not want them to know you are RKTeK).

I honestly don't care about any of that.

I just replied to a post that had inaccurate information about legalities.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
My take on this from a non-technical aspect. My background that I speak from is that of many years of experience in the product development and new product introduction process from a service, sales, and marketing perspective. Also significant experience in business, finance, and account management.

Two people can absolutely have different opinions here and not be completely wrong. Dan is very specialized and offers a very high performance, high quality, high(er) price, long durability, LOW volume option. Polaris and every other manufacturer offers some measure less in the first four and a significant measure more in the last.

Quality measurements for NPI (new product introductions) are interesting and are determined in large part by the test/life cycle/performance parameters that are spelled out in the project specs. This is difficult in an industry where there is very little or no consistency in the environment...meaning you have Chris Burandt or TRS, the local 400lbs guy that doesn't even get up off the seat to put fuel in, and everything in between... Polaris, just like every other manufacturer, is not developing a product that is meant to survive forever in any possible situation that can be thrown at it. They are developing a product that will provide acceptable longevity for the majority of the market they are going after, meet specific performance specs that have been defined, and do it at a specific cost structure that provides the appropriate ROI for the project. Warranty expense is absolutely a measurement in that calculation...it is not expected or anticipated to be zero. It's a fine line that gets walked between cost/price, quality, performance, expectations, function, and volume. If you think it's as simple as "just build it so it doesn't break", you've never been part of a product development team for a mid-volume consumer product... Automotive is getting somewhat close to that due to the extreme volumes and regulations, but even they aren't there yet.

Does the simple fact that Dan puts out a better product than Polaris mean that the Polaris engine is doomed to failure 100% of the time? Absolutely not! It does mean there are going to be situations where a failure could occur or the durability isn't as good as the product Dan provides...I'd say there's no doubt about it. I'd also say there's a reason Dan does business with "X" number of people and Polaris does business with "X" times a lot. They each have their market segment they go after with the appropriate brand promise. Dan's is of unmatched durability and longevity...The Polaris brand promise is far more focused around the performance characteristics, image, and experience than around any measure of durability or longevity.

This is absolutely not a knock on Dan so don't take it that way, but Dan's business is very much dependent on his ability to inform and define the differences and improvements he offers that the manufacturer doesn't. There are going to be those improvements...a sled built to the highest standards in every category would be too...everything... and Polaris would do 10% of the volume they do today. It is also very possible one of the items he's pointed out (or others he hasn't yet) will turn out to be something that causes a higher "in service" failure rate than Polaris anticipated through the metrics they learned in their testing. In that case, there would likely be a campaign/recall to fix them...or goodwill support available to customers that experience it.

Second to last note...I know (because I know one of the people doing it), that Polaris has a pretty good initiative in PCO (product cost optimization). All companies do this and it's like a pendulum...sometimes it swings too far one way and you run into more problems than you anticipate. It's important for a company to do this to ensure funds are available for future investments, but it can cause some issues.

Last note...I am not with Polaris or any other power sports manufacturer. I'm in a different industry all together. I actually don't really like Polaris, but feel this thread has gotten way out of hand...

My $.02, they're worth what you paid for them. Good day :)

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
I do not have an issue with you or your posts.
I think u remained polite and well composed throughout the discussion.
I wish Dan would have kept his composure.
I enjoyed the discussion between both of you.

You did however state that you are not RKTeK several times.
That is a misrepresentation.

You did intentionally create a new user name to deceive people. (You did not want them to know you are RKTeK).

I honestly don't care about any of that.

I just replied to a post that had inaccurate information about legalities.

I appreciate the post and the kind words. BUT, I never denied I was not RKT, I denied I was not "indydansucks". Please re-read what I said

Reactions: sno*jet

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
WRONG. The mods are allowed to contact the individual and fix the problem. Sharing any of that information with anyone outside of the individual is a first class violation of PCI. The posted it public in the thread AND gave the information to IndyDan (which they did without the users consent). That is illegal and morally wrong. Giving out PCI information to ANYONE beyond the owner of the information is illegal. I dont care what kind of crap, hate, lies, false doctrine, someone spews in the forum threads, they should never be in danger of their information being exposed. The correct action is for the mods to remove them and thats that.

How does Facebook get by then?

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Can we please get back to the task at hand and leave the high school drama for the schoolyard.

I’d like to hear Dan’s thoughts on the Polaris bulletin....nice to see Polaris react so quickly.?

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Snowest and its moderators should be ashamed of themselves.
Handing out member information (including IP and email address and location) is a direct violation of GDRP and PCI. Whether done in a private message or in open forum its illegal. You have essentially violated a members right to privacy. Not only is that illegal, its morally wrong.
If a forum member choose not to doxy themselves they are well within their right to remain anonymous and should expect the forum to honor the law and protect their privacy. And to do so in an attempt to give validity to another forum members supposed knowledge is even more shameful.

And when did we hand out IP information, email addresses and location?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
O.K. POLARIS.

Where is the Team Tip on the crank bearings?
I don't believe that's going to be an issue, compared to the obvious piston coating coming off. I'm a product development engineer and I took a few minutes to look at that crank bearings. It's a roller, it's not going anywhere, as long as the parts were correctly machined.. The only potential issue is if you hammer on it when the block is at sub zero temps. But who does that? Just be certain to warm it up to operating temp before you take off.

So, if you have an 850, don't sweat it. If you have an engine go down within a few hours, it was an assembly issue. If you get several hours without issue, I doubt you'll ever have an issue.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
It will be a Recall with new pistons and a head .. our 170 horse will be 156 and no one will see it coming ..

Sound like a dragon ????

Not real impressed .. the coating can't just wear as needed ? The cylinder has so much slop it slaps big pieces off ??

Totally a Dragon !!!!

Why doesn't the coating adhere correctly???

I've never got sucked into the RKTek thing I saw the writing on the wall when T8RZ had him custom cut me one and it was so far from a usable piece I shelved it and moved on !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrenchmaster

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Haven't even looked at this thread since I left post #5. Hasn't this turned into quite the sh*t-show? Leave Snowest for two years and come back to this. Huh!

Reactions: RYDPWDR

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Can we get more on this???

I don't have any further info, I had to do a little research myself about the PVD coating used on the rings as I was unfamiliar with it.

" PVD is a thin coating that is deposited on the ring using titanium or chromium evaporated by heat with a reactive nitrogen gas. This process will make the ring very hard, smooth, and temperature resistant. PVD coated piston rings are exceptionally scuff and wear resistant with preferred coatings based on the CrN system."

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Polaris released this today just because of this thread lol :face-icon-small-coo

aa49b1e8e89092b147167a716fa1c23f.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O_UFd50VJ8I?start=502" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Premium Features