• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022-23 Stop Ride: (Merged threads)New “stop ride” from Polaris

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Least Doo is giving a response and has responded with 90% of sleds delivered. Polaris haven’t delivered a 9R or a Boost for 2023 that I have seen, no 7s screens and no statement from them. Polaris has said sleds delivered by sept/oct than oct/nov than nov/dec now Jan, buddies sled delivery date is a moving target at this point. With two stop rides and stop sells happening simultaneously. With no fix for the second stop ride stop sell announced yet. Once again the brand loyalty is proven you guys have patience made of steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve said for years being a loyal Polaris fan is like being a battered wife, you know there are better options out there you just can’t leave!

my sled showed up in feb last year. I got one ride on it before it was race car season. being 41 years old each season is becoming increasingly more precious - these delays are just sickening.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
Lesson of the decade, poor planning does not equal having a sled to ride.

I have a sled with 5 recalls on it.

Haven’t missed a ride because of it.

(Also not the only sled I have available to ride)

There’s a difference between acknowledging that the world supply chain is broken, then adapting to it.

Or being Nieve about it thinking that the tail end of that chain can control everything to deliver you a sled…….

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Lesson of the decade, poor planning does not equal having a sled to ride.

I have a sled with 5 recalls on it.

Haven’t missed a ride because of it.

(Also not the only sled I have available to ride)

There’s a difference between acknowledging that the world supply chain is broken, then adapting to it.

Or being Nieve about it thinking that the tail end of that chain can control everything to deliver you a sled…….
I actually have two sleds to ride a boost from last year and an 850 I bought before the first recall but once again Polaris current problems have nothing to do with supply chain issues.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I love my Matryx, but have to laugh about this most recent stop ride…

Also, brakes are pretty simple, how hard can the fix be or what actually might be the problem…. brake riders probably…

This was a recall in 1999. Note the price of the sleds too??

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Ken Giles Marlys Knutson
301-504-0580 Ext. 1184 612-542-0533

CPSC, Polaris Industries Announce Recall to Repair Snowmobiles

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
Commission (CPSC), Polaris Industries Inc., of Minneapolis, Minn., is
voluntarily recalling about 67,000 snowmobiles. The hydraulic disc brakes on
these snowmobiles can fail, resulting in serious injury or death to riders.

Polaris is aware of 17 reports of the brakes on these snowmobiles failing.
No injuries have been reported.

The recall includes all 1999 models with hydraulic disc brakes and certain
2000 model Polaris snowmobiles. The word "Polaris" is written on the front
of the hood and the sides of the seat of these snowmobiles. The snowmobiles
were sold under numerous model names and numbers, and in a wide variety of
colors.

Polaris dealers nationwide sold these snowmobiles from June 1998 through
July 1999 for between $4,000 and $8,000.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I did notice the lever throw on the new Matryx brake is very short. Seems to me there's too much preload on the plunger when the lever is at rest, leaving very little travel before pad contact. This could potentially lead to some brake drag.

I did in-fact file down the lever a bit last year for this reason, worked great all season. Not saying this is the issue, but @PSI 800 raises a good point.

This brake recall / stop ride is already showing up for my sled on the polaris website. Fun times
I was just looking at mine and there is at least 1/4” if preload in the plunger before brake fluid starts coming out. I can bet this is the issue with this stop ride.

Did you file the lever down 1/16” or ? Did you ever out some sort of powder on your rotor after to see if it was dragging? I have a 3d logic lever.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Matryx Brake Stop Ride

Ok, I know I’m not the only one mentioning a likely reason for these brake overheating cases.

Well, after reading of others filing their stock levers, I wanted to see how different the compression of the plunger was on my current 3d brake lever and the factory lever.

As you can see here, my 3d lever compresses the plunger at rest, a bit less than 1/16” (I’m a home builder, not an engineer and I couldn’t get my feeler gauge in to take measurements for all you engineers)
74006936-7ED1-4F71-B783-EF1137C8E82F.jpeg

Now, the stock lever. I’ll say this is nearly 3x more compression on the brake system than the 3d.
D88A879F-C60B-4A27-B50B-82DFB6C79403.jpeg

Not saying this is the fix, but brakes aren’t rocket science. Ya squeeze a lever and pads push on a rotor. If a brake lever is compressed too much, the brakes will drag and the rotor will heat up.

Who knows, but Polaris either has ulterior motives here or they will be replacing a crap ton of brake levers or narrower rotors, thinner pads or all of the above.

Thoughts?

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
Did you file the lever down 1/16” or ? Did you ever out some sort of powder on your rotor after to see if it was dragging? I have a 3d logic lever.

I didn’t measure how much I filed, just took off a bit at a time until it felt right. Wasn’t much, maybe a little under 1/16”. Right now, my plunger travels 1/8” total from rest to full squeeze, which translates to about half inch at the finger on the lever.

Who knows, but Polaris either has ulterior motives here or they will be replacing a crap ton of brake levers or narrower rotors, thinner pads or all of the above.

Thoughts?

Thinner rotors or pads won’t make a difference, as the brakes are self adjusting. They’ll simply take up the difference as if it was wear. I wouldn’t be surprised if that in fact is where the issue lies. The self adjusting works due to the hydraulic system being open at rest, via a small port which allows fluid to expand into or draw out of the reservoir. When you apply the brake, the plunger blocks the port, making it a closed system in order to move the pads.

What happens if the plunger is already blocking that port at rest, from too much preload? In that case there’s no self adjusting taking place, which would result in what @TRS described earlier. Heat expands the fluid which can’t back-flow to the reservoir, building pressure, dragging brakes, making more heat…

My two cents. Could be completely off base, but my brakes feel good after a little filing and I won’t be stop riding!

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I heard a dealer say as for the recent recalls, let me put it this way… If you trusted everything the government told you and got the shot, you should probably stop riding your sled and obey Polaris’ Stop Ride order??

It's not about "obey," you don't have a choice if your sled is still at the dealer. You cannot pick it up until Polaris gets a fix out for this latest issue and the dealer gets it fixed.

As for trusting the Government about recalls, Polaris is the one who created the problem, not the Government. If there was no recall and someone got hurt or killed as a result, or their sled got burned up, that person would be right there suing Polaris for not doing a recall.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Matryx Brake Stop Ride

Ok, I know I’m not the only one mentioning a likely reason for these brake overheating cases.

Well, after reading of others filing their stock levers, I wanted to see how different the compression of the plunger was on my current 3d brake lever and the factory lever.

As you can see here, my 3d lever compresses the plunger at rest, a bit less than 1/16” (I’m a home builder, not an engineer and I couldn’t get my feeler gauge in to take measurements for all you engineers)

Now, the stock lever. I’ll say this is nearly 3x more compression on the brake system than the 3d.

Not saying this is the fix, but brakes aren’t rocket science. Ya squeeze a lever and pads push on a rotor. If a brake lever is compressed too much, the brakes will drag and the rotor will heat up.

Thoughts?
i have the 3d Logik lever as well. I too noticed the plunger is slightly depressed by the lever at rest. does this lever need to be filed down a bit as well?
seems like the plunger should not be depressed at all while at rest

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Matryx Brake Stop Ride

View attachment 396122

View attachment 396123

Thoughts?
In tight measuring spots, you can use the plunger on the bottom of a slide or dial caliper. Rest it on your straight edge and measure to the plunger face on both scenarios. Subtract the straight edge thickness if you want to know the gap of each.

slide caliper.JPG

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
It's not about "obey," you don't have a choice if your sled is still at the dealer. You cannot pick it up until Polaris gets a fix out for this latest issue and the dealer gets it fixed.

As for trusting the Government about recalls, Polaris is the one who created the problem, not the Government. If there was no recall and someone got hurt or killed as a result, or their sled got burned up, that person would be right there suing Polaris for not doing a recall.
I absolutely get that process. You missed the point of what the dealer said :)

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
In tight measuring spots, you can use the plunger on the bottom of a slide or dial caliper. Rest it on your straight edge and measure to the plunger face on both scenarios. Subtract the straight edge thickness if you want to know the gap of each.
Totally. I was being lazy and didn’t want to take the perch off my bars? I’m sticking with my rough numbers?

I honestly am not worried at all about this recall. My sleds in my garage and going to the dealer for the static Charge fix and when they get fuel socks, I’ll have that done and if they get a fix for the brakes and it doesn’t mean a lot of down time at the dealer, I’ll have them fix that too.

This all really sucks for folks waiting on their 23’ snowchecks. I know how that goes, I didn’t get my slash until March 3rd last year.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
i have the 3d Logik lever as well. I too noticed the plunger is slightly depressed by the lever at rest. does this lever need to be filed down a bit as well?
That I don’t exactly know. We really don’t know if thats the only issue or what the issue even is. I like tinkering and when I finally got around to checking this out on my sled, these were my observations.

Chris at 3D said they intentionally made their lever with less preload on the plunger. He said people complained and wanted them tighter, like stock and he didn’t want too.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
As anyone checked an axys brake lever to compare? Just to see if the plunger is pushed in at all or how much? Go info guys!!

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
As anyone checked an axys brake lever to compare? Just to see if the plunger is pushed in at all or how much? Go info guys!!
That I don’t exactly know. We really don’t know if thats the only issue or what the issue even is. I like tinkering and when I finally got around to checking this out on my sled, these were my observations.

Chris at 3D said they intentionally made their lever with less preload on the plunger. He said people complained and wanted them tighter, like stock and he didn’t want too.
i am also curious what is different with the trail matryx sleds brake system.
they are still being delivered.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon

Obviously this is all just speculation, no one "needs to" or "should" be filing down their levers. That's ultimately your call. I filed mine for feel at the lever, only now guessing it might also be related to this brake issue.

I'd say there needs to be some preload on the plunger at rest. The plunger is also responsible for returning the lever, which in turn trips the brake light switch. You want there to be positive return pressure on that lever even when fully released. Based on what @kylant posted, seems the 3D Logik lever comes setup pretty good from the get go.

Premium Features