• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016/17 Snowy Range snow conditions

Flatcat12

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2013
Bluebird days

We had bluebird days Tue. and Thur. We go rear-ended Wed. and couldn't get to the mountain. A HUGE thank to Tom, Jeff and the crew at Thelen's Auto Body in Laramie for getting our tow vehicle road ready so we could ride Thur. We had a great ride. Plenty of snow to get stuck in.

20161229_133118.jpg

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
30 mph winds this weekend with gusts up to 45 or 50. Is it worth going or not?
Better than riding trails here. :face-icon-small-coo
I just checked NOAA for Encampment WY. I don't see the winds being that high. $.02
picture.php

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
What no picture's??

If you have pictures or can describe the parking lot situation you observed to me in a PM that would be great.
The Snowy Range Snowmobile Club is working with Wyoming State Trails to make sure the lot gets plowed out frequently enough and the snow is moved far to the sides so folks can park correctly in it.

Thanks.

I didn't snap any pics. We had to park down the road toward Anderson's place. People were suck pulling into the lot, in the lot and one truck had to stop, unload it's trailer to reduce weight so it could continue up the hill. It would help if people could park and not park like a azzhat.

F

flex2win

Oct 11, 2009
Just got back from a couple days of riding out there.
We rode out of Greenrock every day, get there before 9am or you're going to have to park down the hill.

I was told it was a lot better last week, mid week. The wind has really firmed things up, but we were able to find some decent areas that the wind had not gotten to.

There are alot of tracks back in the meadows, you just gotta go huntin!

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
We got up there Thursday and came back yesterday (Sunday). No parking issues in Albany for us, maybe we just got lucky with the timing. I still miss having the berm in the middle of the lot, I think that helped a lot of people "figure it out" when there was a physical snow pile in the middle of the lot to park up against.

We found some decent snow and always had at least some untouched each day - even Sunday. The tree riding was pretty good - still a few things to bump into every now and then, but no damage to any of our sleds.

It started to snow yesterday right after lunch when we packed up and headed off the mountain. It looks like the storm is putting down a decent amount of snow and the forecast looks good for new snow this week.

Iowa_assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2014
Cedar Rapids Iowa
We rode this weekend. Base is coming along. Had decent fresh snow. Good riding is definitely out there you just have to look a little. Looks like a storm coming in tonight

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Rode Saturday and Sunday. Both days except Sunday afternoon were about the clearest blue skies I have ever seen in the snowies. Snow got wind blown and settled quick. It was about the fewest snowmobiles I have ever seen all weekend there. The meadows were obviously tracked. But I have never seen such a large amount of untracked snow ever there. Every spot we picked in the trees we were the first to lay tracks, was awesome.

http://snowest.com/forum/forum.vb/picture.php?albumid=3532&pictureid=34109

http://snowest.com/forum/forum.vb/picture.php?albumid=3532&pictureid=34109

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Anyone from MN want to go this weekend? Base is good there and after this storm its going to be awesome. Would leave Thursday night. Get there and ride Friday and Saturday (both days sunny a 20 degrees). Drive back some Saturday night and Sunday. PM if interested

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Was just there from Monday to Friday morning. Absolutely hit the jackpot on Wednesday with 3'+ of fresh powder. Should be great riding in the Snowies the next few weeks.

boondocker10

Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
hastings,mn
Where is best place to stay on the east side of the snowies

Planning a trip the last week of january with 4 guys we have stayed at ten mile 3 times. Was wondering where to stay on the east side i know there is albany lodge.. but it seemed like pretty tight trees that far south and a lot of trail miles to get to good riding? Any cabins to rent?

snowho96

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
ia
Albany has cabins besides hotel rooms. They book up easily though if you are there over weekends. Doubt if they have anything available this close to your trip. There is lots of good meadow riding around rob roy. The only other ride from lodge that I know of on that side is mountain meadow cabins and the old snowy mountain lodge. Centennial is a good place to stay if you don't mind trailering every day.

Last edited:
M

millnoff

Dec 5, 2007
How much snow did they end up getting from that storm? Looking at taking a trip that way next wed. Trying to decide between here and ip. Any ride reports?

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Second hand report from a buddy of mine who was up yesterday-

Up top over the hood powder, lower elevations snow was fairly dense and sticky.

Snow pack is unstable and they saw a few natural slides.

They rode trees most of the day and did not contact anything under the snow by surprise...

Looking at the snotels it looks like the Mtn got 15-25" over the past few days

M

millnoff

Dec 5, 2007
Thanks for the info, was that on larmie or saratoga side? How high to get to over hood snow?

Steep&DeepRider

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2007
Austin, MN
Was just there from Monday to Friday morning. Absolutely hit the jackpot on Wednesday with 3'+ of fresh powder. Should be great riding in the Snowies the next few weeks.
Good to hear! Will be there on Thursday next week! Look for the school bus!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Premium Features