• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Dragon 8 163" has arrived

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Mountain Horse brought up a point in a PM about the Fox Float shocks. They can be updated to the new Float 2's, not cheap but worth consideration for the softer ride in stutter bumps, IMO. I'm thinking about having the rear Track shock updated & will post a price. I saw something earlier listing an upgrade price of $250, assume it was for all 4 shocks.
MH what's your take on the upgrade?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm away in Europe till the end of the month, but I'll be sending my floats in when I'm back... I may update the float on the rear track of my Holz to a remote DSC resi at that time as well...

Last edited:
R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Mountain Horse brought up a point in a PM about the Fox Float shocks. They can be updated to the new Float 2's, not cheap but worth consideration for the softer ride in stutter bumps, IMO. I'm thinking about having the rear Track shock updated & will post a price. I saw something earlier listing an upgrade price of $250, assume it was for all 4 shocks.
MH what's your take on the upgrade?

Update....
The Fox Floats sold with the Holz suspension last year and those on closeout this year came from Carl's Cycle. The rear track shock comes with most of the features of the new Evol R-except it's not compression/rebound adjustable. It has the negative spring & air chamber included. The front track shock can't be updated to the FFloat 2 but the ski shocks are upgradeable.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The EVOL-R, I believe, is only rebound adjustable, not compression (no external/piggyback resi)

What was the reason for no upgrade avail on the FTS float-Holz? (too stubby??)

Last edited:
R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Update:
Foam removal-do not use a heat gun but get the sled as cold as possible & pull slowly. More glue sticks to the foam cold.

Holtz suspension:
The 2005-2008 Holz suspension on sale for 40% off will work on the 2009 Dragons. I just finished mine & will post some pictures & info in a new thread...this one is getting tired.

Fuel Map on 2009's-At this point there is no dual map available for 2008 Dragon's. The 09's have the jumper to switch from Ethanol fuel to non Ethanol. The 2008's have the jumper but there is no new map available to dealers for both fuels. There is no info about the 2008 ECU either-It may or may not be programable for 2 maps.
Edit-rec'd PM's from 2 sledders that said they got a dual map programmed on their 08 late season....so....?

Last edited:
R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Hey Ron
Just checking in to see how the sleds running?
Oh Yeah, Where's mine:D

I'll meet you in South Idaho & we will take turns riding mine next week...oh wait there isn't any snow yet. Sorry I wanted to share!!!!!!!!!

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Vents

Finished installing underhood vents....3 set of vents: Shock Tower, Footrest & Sidepanel. Purchased these from Carl's Cycle.

Shock tower clutch side cutout-I leave a web to strengthen things. Also purchased the larger vent for the 900's & turned it sideways so that it gets the clutch face/belt & the outside of the clutch. Removed the grey screen material & added pet proof screen for added strength. Screen flows max air without getting on the clutch. These partially plug at times but when open put a lot of cool air right on the primary. First pic cutout.

2009Dragon012-1.jpg

Second pic finished vent. Exhaust side get same vent in upright position without backing screen.

2009Dragon011.jpg

Footrest vent is the same on each side. Thought about adding more screen but decided against it.

2009Dragon010.jpg

Last edited:
R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Next is the side panel vent. I don't add the big one to the outside panel. Don't see that it adds any air flow & if it did it would enter behind the primary. I know this is controversial but I'm not a believer.

001-1.jpg

Last is a picture of the headlight assembly from the inside. Polaris heard the btches last year & added a housing for the headlights with a rubber boot. They also siliconed the seam for the plenum so now the only opening to outside snow would be the headlight adjuster. For those that weren't in the know last year-many (all?) sleds came with lots of openings for snow injestion during deep powder running.

2009Dragon013.jpg

Now my big complaint is the fit of the hood. It's not just mine but all that I've seen so far. The hood hangs over above the footrest on one or both sides. Might be something as simple as the location of the hood hinge where it attached to the bumper. But....come on Polaris....everything else looks so good but crooked hoods reaaaalllllly look bad!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Finished installing underhood vents....3 set of vents: Shock Tower, Footrest & Sidepanel. Purchased these from Carl's Cycle.

Shock tower clutch side cutout-I leave a web to strengthen things. Also purchased the larger vent for the 900's & turned it sideways so that it gets the clutch face/belt & the outside of the clutch. Removed the grey screen material & added pet proof screen for added strength. Screen flows max air without getting on the clutch. These partially plug at times but when open put a lot of cool air right on the primary. First pic cutout.

Second pic finished vent. Exhaust side get same vent in upright position without backing screen.

2009Dragon011.jpg

I am installing the same vents in the shock tower and above the footwell. Picked them up from Carls several months ago and am finally getting them installed Did you say you did not use the mesh the tower ones came with? You said something about grey mesh but the ones that came with mine look like the ones you have installed in the pic. I am asking because I was also wondering if that mesh they came with for the one side ws to open and would let moisture in. I am not installing the ones in the rear of the side panel but instead picked up a whole different set of side panels with the large side vents already in them. I really have no idea how they will work but will find out I guess.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Ron- what did you use to cut out the metal for the knee vents?

I used a jigsaw with metal blade & an air grinder to trim. Tried an air nibbler but too tight of turns. Tape the aluminum so that you don't scratch it & drill some holes in the corners.

I am installing the same vents in the shock tower and above the footwell. Picked them up from Carls several months ago and am finally getting them installed Did you say you did not use the mesh the tower ones came with? You said something about grey mesh but the ones that came with mine look like the ones you have installed in the pic. I am asking because I was also wondering if that mesh they came with for the one side ws to open and would let moisture in. I am not installing the ones in the rear of the side panel but instead picked up a whole different set of side panels with the large side vents already in them. I really have no idea how they will work but will find out I guess.

Screen size mesh keeps the snow off the clutch, fine material like the SLP flow rites don't let any air penetrate. Take an air gun to a flow rite & hold your hand behind it you won't feel any air at all. I didn't change the size of the screen just the thickness. Pet proof screen is heavy duty plastic screen with the same sized openings & it comes in black vs the light grey window screen. Pet screen available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Carl's has put a lot of shock tower vents out since 05 without any issues.

Side panel side vents are good at letting hot air out of the cowling but disrupt the air flow past the clutches. For example-pour two cups of coffee, let one sit to cool & blow air past the other one. Air will cool the coffee way faster. Same principle as an outside air conditioner cooling coils that cool even on hot days-It's the fan moving air through the radiator that provides the cooling. (Refer fan, car radiator, the list goes on.)

Premium Features