• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Dragon 8 163" has arrived

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Dragonfire Minor point of clarification. What you saw were prototype Better Boards for the all of Polaris RMK IQ RAW and Assaults. They were the first one off's that we were doing for Carl's Performance Catalog. You may have noticed that thread lasted about 1/2 hr! I asked Ron to pull that original thread because it was misleading in many aspects. Rather then deal with mis-information and confusion we just removed it. Once again what you say was the prototype for the new 08-09 updated version that all customers have access too and is available from any Better Boards Dealer.

WHY THE CHANGE

Now that Polaris standardized the rear suspension/tunnel support bracket position on all of the 09 RMK models (146 to 163) we were able to update the design for this season or what we call the 08-09 model version.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE

The entire board has been extended 1 1/8" so that it is a perfect match to your front running board section from footwell to rear bracket break. We opened up and repositioned the front relief holes for both better snow removal while maintaining similar structural strength up front. We repositioned the entire cleat pattern and added one more cleat and relief hole right in front of the rear bracket. That closed up quite a bit of flat surface from the last model. This alone is the one huge plus of the updated version as we did get some snow build-up right in front and over the rear bracket.

Rob

Come on Rob!!!!

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Holtz coilover-2008

Confirmed today the old style Holz coilover (2005-2008) will work on the 09 Dragon 163-don't know about the 155.
1. First issue was the mounting position for the rear suspension pivot that moves back 2". On the 163 there is room to move back 2".
2. Second issue not mentioned before is the relocation of the front arm (Lower shock mounting) that moves 1 1/16" forward. There is an existing hole that must be closed since it is about 1 3/8 forward, not a big deal. Will heliarc the hole & then drill.

Both Carl's Cycle & Holtz have these suspensions on closeout, can't resist a deal so will have one soon.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Picture of the Fuel Map jumper discussed previously-pluged together for non Ethanol 91 Octane Fuel-Verified that this is correct a second time. Unplugged for Ethanol fuel.

2009Dragon003.jpg

Last edited:
R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Holtz coilover

Pictures of the mounting position for the 2005-2008 Holz Coilover kit in the front & rear of a 2009 Dragon 163" track.

Rear location will leave about 3/8" of material behind the new hole.

2009Dragon012.jpg

Ignore this pic, the front hole is going to be higher & near the Ice Scratcher mounting bolt. Better than I thought....I should have my parts soon & will post more pic's.
Front location a little out of focus & not quite in position but will give you the idea. The hole moves forward 1 1/16" using Fox Float or Zero Pro front track shocks. Option 2 would be to use the longer Fox Float2, 2009 model, in the original mounting position.

2009Dragon001.jpg

Last edited:
R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Update
The Ethanol jumper with 2 fuel maps mentioned previously is new for 2009.

The foam & stickers weigh nearly 2 pounds. The glue is a SOB this year-using 3M Bug & Tar but spray it on, let it set an hour & then roll the glue off in globs. Not easy & not fun. Carb cleaner (laquer thinner) works too but can damage paint. Tried WD40, brake cleaner (acetone), goo gone no help. If anyone knows of anything else let us know. I used a heat gun & still had a mess.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Central Alberta
Update
The Ethanol jumper with 2 fuel maps mentioned previously is new for 2009.

The foam & stickers weigh nearly 2 pounds. The glue is a SOB this year-using 3M Bug & Tar but spray it on, let it set an hour & then roll the glue off in globs. Not easy & not fun. Carb cleaner (laquer thinner) works too but can damage paint. Tried WD40, brake cleaner (acetone), goo gone no help. If anyone knows of anything else let us know. I used a heat gun & still had a mess.

Ron, the ethanol jumper is also on the '08s.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
My dealer called polaris yesterday concerning the wires. He was told you need a reflash on the 08's if you want to plug in the wires. This didn't sound right to me. Why have it on there then? Why would you need a reflash just to run non ethanol fuels?
The Poo rep was quite defensive that my dealer was asking about this. And was wondering why I was wanting to lean it out. Well, for starters it's too rich. I'm literally using 4more gal and going 30 miles less than my 03 800 rmk. I never really cared until I saw this wire deal and thought maybe it was an easy fix.
My dealer told him if it was right in 08 why did you change it in 09? (plug them in).
BuilderBob, do you know more about this? I really want to avoid a reflash as my sled runs good, just really rich. I thought these wires might be the magic fix. My dealer also wants to avoid a reflash. He said he hasn't seen one that hasn't lost hp.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Monte,

Makes sense now.
The 08's have the ability to run two fuel maps but only had one map in 08. The 09's come with 2 maps hence use the jumpers to make the change. With the reflash you get the 09 maping so now you have two & can use the jumper wire. Just speculation on my part but goes with info from previous conversation with Carl's.
I rode the 09 Proto & would not be concerned about a reflash to 09 spec's. The Proto ran strong & had a newer map than my 08. The initial 08 map was rich & at some elevation/conditions way too rich. If you want better economy then the 09 map seems like the answer & normally a leaner sled is a faster sled.
My 08 gurgled noticably at some throttle positions. A reflash in Jan fixed it-didn't notice any loss of power.
I could have reversed the info on the jumper, will check my manual tonight. Might be that plugged in is for Ethanol & unplugged for Non.

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Gang on the hood it's just a really horrible job so no matter what you get a mess. This is what I always do and it helps a little.

Dry scrape the foam without putting goo on it or turning into some kind of giant sled bugger. Sharpened putty knife or wide wood chisel. Skin it like a bear. If you can get down to mostly glue it's a bunch better over all when you start the chemical aspect of getting the glue off. The foam is what creates most of the mess. Also if you can get to the project before the sled has been run too much. High under hood heat seems to set the glue and foam even worse. It's a tremendously easier project when it's all very cold as well. Walk in freezer? HELPS!!! Got nitrous? Careful BRRR but it works too!

Then it's on too the glue part..warm is better here. Lots of goo gone and lots of cotton shop towels...and lots of beer.

Remember it's 2 lbs now...BUT more like 10 when the foam socks in with oil, water, and gunk all glued together with belt dust...which creates some kind of super natural heavy foam. It helps if you think along these lines while you toil!

F

Flange509

Dec 1, 2007
Colorado
I had the reflash (3/24/08) done and felt a strong boost in power, it wasn't running bad before this but wanted to try it. It cleaned it up troughout the range. Top speed before the reflash was about 78mph after it would get to 86 on a groomed trail. I ride at 8-11k ft and only use Wyoming gas which I dont think has the ethanol in it but I don't know about these wires and dont think the dealer changed them.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Monte,

Makes sense now.
The 08's have the ability to run two fuel maps but only had one map in 08. The 09's come with 2 maps hence use the jumpers to make the change. With the reflash you get the 09 maping so now you have two & can use the jumper wire. Just speculation on my part but goes with info from previous conversation with Carl's.
I rode the 09 Proto & would not be concerned about a reflash to 09 spec's. The Proto ran strong & had a newer map than my 08. The initial 08 map was rich & at some elevation/conditions way too rich. If you want better economy then the 09 map seems like the answer & normally a leaner sled is a faster sled.
My 08 gurgled noticably at some throttle positions. A reflash in Jan fixed it-didn't notice any loss of power.
I could have reversed the info on the jumper, will check my manual tonight. Might be that plugged in is for Ethanol & unplugged for Non.

Forgive my ignorence on this subject. So, are you thinking I could could get mine reflashed with the dual map like the 09's? Or keep the map that I know works and install a second map which would be the 09. Sounds like you guys really like the the reflash so that makes me feel a bit better. Like I said, I really didn't have any complaints the way it was, but it could definitally be leaner. Plugs and pistons are black. :(

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Forgive my ignorence on this subject. So, are you thinking I could could get mine reflashed with the dual map like the 09's? Or keep the map that I know works and install a second map which would be the 09. Sounds like you guys really like the the reflash so that makes me feel a bit better. Like I said, I really didn't have any complaints the way it was, but it could definitally be leaner. Plugs and pistons are black. :(

As far as I know the reflash replaces the program that operates the sled electronic's. Then you have two new programs in the ECU-one for Ethanol & one without Ethanol when the jumpers are changed. I don't think Polaris allows the dealer to modify or partially load new fuel maps.
Select dealers like Carl's or SLP have the ability to load a different program for BB's, Twin Pipes, etc under some "special arrangement"???

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Ron,

How well does extruded 7129 Aluminum weld that the Polaris rails are made from?

Not well, I wouldn't try to repair or modify them but I have a friend that has done some work on rails that has held up. Filling a hole may be OK depends on who you ask.
As I edited my post a Tuesday I noted that the hole front mounting hole is in a different location from my original picture so it appears to be a non issue anyway.
My Holz suspension showed up today & I'll post pictures of the hole locations & the final install.

Premium Features