• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So I decide to visit a local ski shop.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
Seems like the BC skiiers want it all. 2 weeks ago we made the rough ride in from the Snake Creek parking lot over several miles of patchy snow and gravel to get to the top of dry fork. When we popped out at the top of Alta Ski Resort, there were 4 skiiers using sleds to access some of the OB areas. The resort had been closed for 10 days but these guys accessed the OB by going right up the runs of the resort. We were a little peeved, especially when we recognized one of the skiiers as a resort employee from his jacket. Seems a bit two-faced if you ask me. Here these guys have 23" of fresh snow IN-BOUNDS in a closed resort and they still use the only area we sledders are allowed to use. If the mountians truly belong to everyone then next year when the resort closes, I'm saving the wear and tear on my sled and parking at the bottom of the chair lift and taking the courdoroy to the top !

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
I have bought from a ski shop on line for a few things, I don't know if I would go into on ski shop just because for the simple fact there is still a stigma among us all that each is better then the other.

307 Snow*Moto

Mar 10, 2008
Big Horn, WY
Happy Median

The answer is find a happy median!!! The point being that there is not one. This looked like a fun thread to add my .02 plus after 3 pages of it I dont think that the horse has been quite beat yet. So as many have elluded to may a sledders came from skiers. My self included. I skied before I could walk, I competed in mogul/freestyle trials and back country big air and use to eat sleep and breath skiing. Growing up sledding was a side hobby for the family because skiing took prescendence. After college and law school and also watching the evolution of ski areas in general I traded in expensive lift tickets and season passes for expensive snowmachines. As if it was a wash or something, honestly what a justification right? But now I would call myself a sledder. I would tend to agree with the school of thought that you cant lump "them" and "us" together because one day you guys may find me walking back down one of the trails to get to a spot where one of my buddies is going to pick me up to take me back to the top or trade off. I do feel bad that guys are mistreated because someone dislikes snowmachiners in general. The entire issue can be summed up in one phrase much like MountainHorse's Analysis. This is a situation called the NIMBY theory. NOT IN MY BACK YARD. Those that ski and love the serenity of skiing, probable love huggin trees, vote for Hillary, and eat granola and yogurt, just kidding, they just simply dont want these "loud *** snowmachines in their backyard" but they cant and will never get over that its not their backyard. All this aside I am willing to bet that 99% of the snowmobilers on here regardless of age, brand loyalty etc will always and do always slow down show respect, wave and go one by. Be the better person regardless of if you ski or sled, there will never be a happy median and we have to accept that. In the mean time about a year ago I was looking for a happy median so I could take my powder sticks up the mountain and huck some sick lines in the backcountry and Woodisde Motorsports in Hailey Idaho got me hooked up with Chettah Factory Racing, one of the sweetest, best looking setups I have seen, plus you can take it with you if you swap sleds, brands etc. here is the link for the website, and I promise I have no affilitation with them I just love their product, they are stronger than hell and they look factory. I have often gotten our sleds stuck that have these racks on them and they are way stronger to lift from than anything else. Plus they are called the Doube-D racks cant beat that name.

http://www.cheetahfactoryracing.com/

They make a couple different set-ups skis or snowboards, one of each, etc. Anyhow it appears as though maybe there is one happy median, well at least in my opinion.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Not going to lie, thats what gave me the idea, saw the pic in fouled plug when you put it up and thought, WTH not?

2 reasons:
1 - you will never ever get laid again... :eek:
2 - fat chics can climb in your car... :eek:

LMAO... its sweet and you will wish you would have done it along time ago... but keep the truck handy for date night at the drive in... the little trailer doesn't afford much privacy...:face-icon-small-win

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
2 reasons:
1 - you will never ever get laid again... :eek:Since I'm doing the BYUI thing this is good thing.
2 - fat chics can climb in your car... :eek:Got the Lifted Jeep to fend those fattys off!

LMAO... its sweet and you will wish you would have done it along time ago... but keep the truck handy for date night at the drive in... the little trailer doesn't afford much privacy...:face-icon-small-win

Funny to see how many people on here are ski/snowboarders that have made the switch over to sledding,

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Mutual Respect is the key. This will never happen. It is human nature to mess with others and see how much of a rise you can get out of them. Sledders, boarders and skiers will need to form and alliance group to figure out how to preserve, share and respect the land or it will go away. But sorry won't happen. Example: Moab Utah, Hikers, bikers, Atv's and Jeeps. All four enthusiasts want the land for themselves. Instead of banning together for a good cause, they choose to fight. You will slowly see usage areas shrink and one day be gone. A buddy of mine was down there eating breakfast at a restaurant when all the sudden a jeeper came roaring in furious because some bike Nazi had pour syrup on his Jeep seat. Not Good!!! Always something. Look how long people have been fighting over religion. I'm a big time ex-skier and still find myself ducking an occasional ski pole while sharing a trail. But that doesn't make me hate them all. Can't we all just get along.....;) I bet not

B
Dec 21, 2006
I can understand saving a buck, but if you know that that shop doesn't like what you are using the product for go elsewhere. Why give them your hard earned money when you could give it to your local shop that supports what you do. Give your local sled shop a chance. Sled shops donate time and money to help keep the areas open that we ride while ski shops donate money to close down where we ride. Please look at the bigger picture. We need to support those that support us. I understand that this is an expensive sport but it will cost us a lot more in the long run if we don't help ourselves.

S
Apr 12, 2008
Wife Was Up Local Canyon, With Her Self Contained Classroom Of Kids, That's Special Needs To You And Me And Wearing A Polaris Jacket. Some Cross Country Types Were Up There To, Giving Her Dirty Looks Because Of Her Jacket.
Now If You Were To Ask Me, I Would Say The Hight If Rudeness. No Snowmobiles, No Drinking Or Loud Partying. Just There Helping Out Special Ed Kids Trying To Enjoy A Day Of Snowshoeing As Best They Can.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee, Wa
I'm a big time ex-skier and still find myself ducking an occasional ski pole while sharing a trail. But that doesn't make me hate them all. Can't we all just get along.....;) I bet not

I am respectful to anyone and everyone who is respectful to me, but if someone swung a ski pole at me it would be war.

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
I didn't know there was deep rooted dislike of our sport. Besides, I'm an American. And like 90% of us want quality stuff for as cheap as we can get it. Why do you think Wal-mart exist? Because we're cheap. I decided to support my local economy. I will do it again. Sorry if they don't like me, but I need X product and they have it for X price I will go in Smiling:D be cool and buy what I need. I'm not going to play the game and smart business people shouldn't either. Business is business.I feel by doing this it may disarm them a little.

I can understand saving a buck, but if you know that that shop doesn't like what you are using the product for go elsewhere. Why give them your hard earned money when you could give it to your local shop that supports what you do. Give your local sled shop a chance. Sled shops donate time and money to help keep the areas open that we ride while ski shops donate money to close down where we ride. Please look at the bigger picture. We need to support those that support us. I understand that this is an expensive sport but it will cost us a lot more in the long run if we don't help ourselves.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
Yep, Pro Ski.
Like I said, he wasn't a jerk or anything there was a just an obvious shift in his vibe. I was confused by the comment regarding the Ethics of it!!???:confused: Ethics. I should join a back county ski site :face-icon-small-win to find out what their issues really are with our sport.

Those guys are actually quite cool. I'm not sure who you were talking to but one of them has been asking me to take him for some tow skiing for years. I think the guy you were talking to just thinks you should earn your turns in the back country and not get a tow. That could be what he ment by ethics.

Don't take it personaly, not everyone likes us. Especially the ones who work for 15 bucks an hour in a ski shop (like I used to when I was a kid) and will never be able to afford our kind of fun so dont think you should either.

B
Dec 21, 2006
I didn't know there was deep rooted dislike of our sport. Besides, I'm an American. And like 90% of us want quality stuff for as cheap as we can get it. Why do you think Wal-mart exist? Because we're cheap. I decided to support my local economy. I will do it again. Sorry if they don't like me, but I need X product and they have it for X price I will go in Smiling:D be cool and buy what I need. I'm not going to play the game and smart business people shouldn't either. Business is business.I feel by doing this it may disarm them a little.

That is to bad that you look at it like that. Saving that buck today will cost you more tomorrow.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
When confronted with an issue like this, it is always best to put on your ambassador hat, and show people that snowmobilers are just regular people too. Maybe ask them what they dislike about snowmobiles and acknowledge that some of there points are valid (if they are). Most non-snowmobilers don't have experiences with snowmobilers, only what they have heard. Take the opportunity, but don't expect any results as you are opening yourself up for disappointment.

My buck fity

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
1st off, this is off topic big time!!!!!!
2nd, why would you have an issue with me supporting my local, small town economy????
3.Bigred, it's not just me bud. The major majority of people see it like I see it. Your statement bothers me because they reak of self righteousness. Your message isn't lost on me, but you have to understand I only have x amount of $$ and I have to make it go as far as I can. How do you do that? By purchasing food, gas,items,things, whatever it is at the best price. It is the simple concept of making your dollars work for you. :confused: If I don't do this most of the time I won't have money to put in the 401K...................K
4.Explain to me how saving a buck today (remember I'm saving it) will hurt me tomorrow???

When everything you have, use, need , eat is all made in the USA which is what I believe you are implying, and you still have enough money to retire comfortably. I will steal your formula and become the next billionair of Washington state.

Sorry for getting pissy, but I did:eek:

That is to bad that you look at it like that. Saving that buck today will cost you more tomorrow.

Last edited:
B
Dec 21, 2006
I am not trying to be self righteous. The opposition to what we do are more organized and more dedicated to eliminating our land use than we are to save it. They pay more money for hybrids, organic foods, etc because it fits into what they believe. I am not trying to hammer you personally. We as sled riders need to look at the bigger picture like they do. They don't buy items from sled shops just because it is on sale. All that I am getting at is that our sled community is pretty small in the big picture and the more that we can do to support it we will all be better off in the end. Hopefully this clears things up.

B
Dec 21, 2006
By the way, whoever left the negative comment on my reputation is a real winner. Just because somebody has a different opinion that you you call me a name. Real classy.

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
That sucks that you got neg rep for your post Big, I do get what your saying and it does hold some truth. So for that pos rep to you. I don't think it's even a case of lets agree to disagree it just is what it is. I did support the sport by purchasing my machine new from a dealer who lobbies on our behalf of the sport. Granted, I should probably put more energy into access issues.
Heres to you BigRed!!:beer;
By the way, whoever left the negative comment on my reputation is a real winner. Just because somebody has a different opinion that you you call me a name. Real classy.

Premium Features