• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 Summit Edge 165 850/first new sled Questions

A
Jan 16, 2024
Washington
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking these forums for a while but this is my first thread here, so excuse me if it's the wrong location or format.

I am looking to purchase my first new sled. About 6 years ago I got a 2008 Ski doo Summit 800 154” for $2,700 that was great for getting me into mountain riding but I'm looking for something more reliable and something that’s generally a newer upgrade.

The dealerships in my area are having some decent deals on the Edge models and I've settled on a 165 track, which a couple shops have a few 23's left ranging from $12,000-$13,500 with most of this discount being waving the three 3 year warranty in favor of $2,000 rebate and the 1 year factory warranty instead.

Can anyone advise as to why so many shops seem to be hanging onto the Edge models from 23'? I know it's a new model line and some people don't like the flextrack, T-motion and lack of SHOT, but I'm just wondering what else is a potential issue or dealbreaker.

I'm usually going out and doing sled accessed skiing/snowboarding and often doubling buddies around for runs, so the narrow running boards and lack of deep footwells at the front of the running boards doesn’t seem ideal but is not a deal breaker. I’m not a very confident aggressive mountain rider as I’m usually playing it safe and taking it easy but want to really push myself in the coming years for mountain riding. I’m not too strong at side hilling and generally have riding form that could use some improvement, but I do have experience in alpine and tree riding.

I'm usually riding in snowboard boots and will have about an inch of boot hanging over the running boards on the Edge model, especially on the brake side of the machine. This doesn't seem like it'll be a big inconvenience but let me know if you think otherwise.

I’ve saved up and am looking to pay cash but have been waiting until a good deal on a very lightly used or preferably new sled comes up. I’ll be keeping the machine for a long time and not trading in after warranty is up.

Main questions: Does anyone know why there’s still so many of these 23’ Edge models unpurchased?

How much should I try to bargain down/should I expect to actually get off MSRP besides the rebates, especially for paying all cash? Any buying advise for in the shop and for being new to dealerships?

Should I get the three-year warranty or $2,000 rebate offered from Skidoo?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and have a great season!

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
What I was told, a lot of these sleds were bound for Russia, but due to the war, they were not shipped. Doo discounted them to get rid of them. I bought one, great sled. I've always purchased X models, but couldn't pass up the deal. You will not be disappointed. The only difference is the running boards (which are still very good) and electric start, which I like because I can power my GPS and not have to worry about restarting it. If you're looking for a G5, jump on it. You're getting a premium sled at a great price.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks! Good to know. Any advice on deciding between the three year warranty or going with the $2,000 rebate and sticking with the 1 year factory warranty?
if your plan is to KEEP the sled, then take the rebate and enjoy.
If you want to FLIP the sled, then having warrenty left on it makes it much more attractive for resale.

Upgrading from a 2008 Ski doo Summit 800 154” to this Edge will be DAY AND NIGHT diffent riding.
You will LOVE LOVE LOVE the edge by comparison.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Awesome sled, i would personally take the 2 years over the 2 grand as you will spend that to put warranty on it, i would put a skid plate on it and get some salazking ski rubbers on it this will make it sidehill better and improve the sled a lot, then enjoy!

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Awesome sled, i would personally take the 2 years over the 2 grand as you will spend that to put warranty on it, i would put a skid plate on it and get some salazking ski rubbers on it this will make it sidehill better and improve the sled a lot, then enjoy!

I don't know I would take the cash to buy goodies like skid plate and belts and oil and stuff. Rather than an extended warranty.

I have only ever owned 3 sleds. ( 2014 Summit I bought new, 2022 Lynx Boondocker I bought new, 2024 Lynx Shredder Turbo I bought new )

None of them have ever needed warranty work other than the new Lynx ( Servo died in wastegate actuator in the first 20 miles, but its fixed now )

I kind of feel like if it doesn't blow up in the first year its probably fine lol.. But that's me .

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
I don't know I would take the cash to buy goodies like skid plate and belts and oil and stuff. Rather than an extended warranty.

I have only ever owned 3 sleds. ( 2014 Summit I bought new, 2022 Lynx Boondocker I bought new, 2024 Lynx Shredder Turbo I bought new )

None of them have ever needed warranty work other than the new Lynx ( Servo died in wastegate actuator in the first 20 miles, but its fixed now )

I kind of feel like if it doesn't blow up in the first year its probably fine lol.. But that's me .
i took the 250 off instead of the 4th year warranty on my 17. thru a rod the 4th winter. i wont ever be doing that again.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
i took the 250 off instead of the 4th year warranty on my 17. thru a rod the 4th winter. i wont ever be doing that again.
Is that normal? maybe for Polaris? :ROFLMAO:

What happens that warranty even covers other than something that is a manufacturing failure?

My 2014 I rode for 8 years. My buddy has it now. still ripping no issues that he didn't cause. ( other than pull start pawls fell apart recently after 10 years )

I don't know its just me then I guess. I think warranty's are a scam. on trucks they aren't long enough for the low miles I drive. and Sleds/Dirt Bikes I just figure one could blow up some day. but hopefully not.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I almost bought a 23 edge when Gforce had one for something stupid like $11,000 or $11,500 but I waited too long and it sold of course. I ended up at all terrain buying a hold over boost because I really wanted to try a boost at 10,000+ elevation. Honestly though the edge is super capable and if I didn't go boost I was going to buy the edge over paying $13,500-14,000 for a similar 23 khaos despite my screen name.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking these forums for a while but this is my first thread here, so excuse me if it's the wrong location or format.

I am looking to purchase my first new sled. About 6 years ago I got a 2008 Ski doo Summit 800 154” for $2,700 that was great for getting me into mountain riding but I'm looking for something more reliable and something that’s generally a newer upgrade.

The dealerships in my area are having some decent deals on the Edge models and I've settled on a 165 track, which a couple shops have a few 23's left ranging from $12,000-$13,500 with most of this discount being waving the three 3 year warranty in favor of $2,000 rebate and the 1 year factory warranty instead.

Can anyone advise as to why so many shops seem to be hanging onto the Edge models from 23'? I know it's a new model line and some people don't like the flextrack, T-motion and lack of SHOT, but I'm just wondering what else is a potential issue or dealbreaker.

I'm usually going out and doing sled accessed skiing/snowboarding and often doubling buddies around for runs, so the narrow running boards and lack of deep footwells at the front of the running boards doesn’t seem ideal but is not a deal breaker. I’m not a very confident aggressive mountain rider as I’m usually playing it safe and taking it easy but want to really push myself in the coming years for mountain riding. I’m not too strong at side hilling and generally have riding form that could use some improvement, but I do have experience in alpine and tree riding.

I'm usually riding in snowboard boots and will have about an inch of boot hanging over the running boards on the Edge model, especially on the brake side of the machine. This doesn't seem like it'll be a big inconvenience but let me know if you think otherwise.

I’ve saved up and am looking to pay cash but have been waiting until a good deal on a very lightly used or preferably new sled comes up. I’ll be keeping the machine for a long time and not trading in after warranty is up.

Main questions: Does anyone know why there’s still so many of these 23’ Edge models unpurchased?

How much should I try to bargain down/should I expect to actually get off MSRP besides the rebates, especially for paying all cash? Any buying advise for in the shop and for being new to dealerships?

Should I get the three-year warranty or $2,000 rebate offered from Skidoo?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and have a great season!
Might do some checking around as I think you can get an after market extended warranty for two or three years, just before the initial first ear warranty expires, for less than $2000. That would give you some cash for extras right out of the gate. If you still Ike the sled after the first season, look into the extended warranTy.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Go buy the new Edge you will love it. As to why there are so many is that most guys have been buying higher models and the higher models are built first to meet snowcheck orders so a lot of these 23s probably didn't get delivered until late in the season last year, well after demand had passed. It's been a terrible start to the year in most of North America so less demand to start this season as well. If you put on a fair amount of miles I would get the 3 year warranty.

Choose a dealer near to you that has a reputation of great service even if that costs you a bit more it will pay off rather than dealing with a dealer that doesn't treat their customers as well.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Dave how do the ski rubbers improve side hilling?
Many people beleive its t-motion that causes the track to spin out, but this is not the case, think of when your driving your truck and the front wheels get blocked, the rear of the truck has no wear to go and spins out. Same with skis, if you are side hilling and hit a rough patch or icy bit or track the ski stands up because the rubber is soft and orif you rine the ski in the narrow position the stock rubber only touches half the spindle. Using the salazking ski rubber which is stiffer and covers the whole area the ski will run smoother and stiffer and tracks way better in all conditions. If T-motion ruins the rear end then how come chris brandt who uses a c3 carbon skid calss ours spagetti? The next time you see a c3 carbon skid check the flex on it, it moves more than t-motion as if it did not it would break. Again also why i prefer t-motion, makes it 20 percent easier to ride over and expert and as always improvements can be made but they are small ones that dont cost very much. i have used the same salazking from Riderasmussenstyle.com for 5 years

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Dave how do the ski rubbers improve side hilling?
This is how... :D
Better steerablity
  • Keep sled on its edge, easier sidehilling
  • Less lateral slip, flatter skis, engage snow better
  • Less resistance for Balance to steer
  • Dampens handlebar feedback, steer to balance
  • Ski tail holds snow better, carve harder
  • Less pitching, float higher, float smoother,
  • Ski rocking dampening, flatter sledding
  • Stops ski hitting your front bumper, less porpoising, more stable front end

U
Nov 29, 2007
We are kind of hi jacking this thread here, mine is a 23 expert NA which I like for every thing except side hilling straight across a steep hill. on my Matryx I could do that at a walking pace with very little effort on the expert 165 with 200 km on it I am struggling to do the same it requires more input and wants to go up hill most of the time. So ski rubber will fix this? Or polaris skis?

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
We are kind of hi jacking this thread here, mine is a 23 expert NA which I like for every thing except side hilling straight across a steep hill. on my Matryx I could do that at a walking pace with very little effort on the expert 165 with 200 km on it I am struggling to do the same it requires more input and wants to go up hill most of the time. So ski rubber will fix this? Or polaris skis?
Yes keeps ski flat instead of folding back at you especially in every snow condition. Very obvious change. Going to try ibackshifts ski dampers this time cause I'm ordering his clutch kit for my 24 now that I'm out of break in.

Premium Features