• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So I decide to visit a local ski shop.

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
I'm looking for off season deals on back country gear for snowmobiling.
So on a suggestion from Ruffy I visited a local ski shop in my little town.

$100 cash and I have 2 nice backcounty packs one with the hydration system already in it. :) I thought that was a great deal.

So I bring up that I am a snowmobiler and that he probably hates us.
He say " Well.......... I don't really know where I stand on the ethics of snowmobiling. So I just played it off with very light comment to move off the subject, not wanting to start a debate. Besides I'm not going to sway his obvious disdain for our sport. That was about the time I noticed he was done with me. He wasn't a jerk or anything he just walked away and ingnored me!!
As I left, I said thanks dude shook his hand and said have a good one.

Bottom line, They really don't like us!!

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Most the skiers I know around here use snowmobiles to access the backcountry. They don't want it to be shutdown either since they would have just as much to lose.

It's the out of town jerks who think they know whats best for everyone else... and it just so happens to coincide with their own beliefs.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
You will find that alot of guys like me started as skiers and evolved in to snowmobilers because on a sled you can go up the hill and no lift lines! its the cross country guys that generally dont like us !

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
You really can't lump all of them together. I myself started as a skier, and even do backcountry access thing. I know a lot of guys that do the same thing. There are also a hand full. I know ski shop owners that sled themselves.

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
Yep, Pro Ski.
Like I said, he wasn't a jerk or anything there was a just an obvious shift in his vibe. I was confused by the comment regarding the Ethics of it!!???:confused: Ethics. I should join a back county ski site :face-icon-small-win to find out what their issues really are with our sport.

Pro Ski?...depends on who you talked to...couple of the guys in there are cool with it...they access Back Country runs on the sleds...

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Green

Not sure if the insinuation is that sleds are detrimental to wildlife or not but my 40years of working on the cental plains in the midst of wildlife has shown me that animals in general are terrified of HUMANS yet often show very little concern for equipment working in their area. Equipment that is much noisier and more imposing than a snowmobile. I'm no expert for sure but I wouldn't doubt you see as much of nature from a sled as you do from a pair of skiis. If the only way to see nature is on foot then how about we walk from home instead of driving.
Something wrong with people that will pour ashfault and concrete over the best wildlife terrain and then preach environmental issues to everyone else.
Sorry if this little rant is out of place, but Ive worked in the ski industry and love to sled as well and I think there is room for both.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
Yep, Pro Ski.
Like I said, he wasn't a jerk or anything there was a just an obvious shift in his vibe. I was confused by the comment regarding the Ethics of it!!???:confused: Ethics. I should join a back county ski site :face-icon-small-win to find out what their issues really are with our sport.

I probably would have asked what he meant by ethics, but that is just me. maybe he is one of the guys that block the trail for me.

W
Jan 2, 2008
I was up on Baker and there were 3 dudes telemarking, I watched them skiing across a sidehill that I had left deep trenches in. I kinda had to chuckle a bit as they obviously had to take a little bit of extra caution and time to get across my deep trenches. I would also bet they hated to hear us, hated to see us, and hated to see our tracks and share the mountain with us.

If I had to guess, those skiers probably hated our very existance and wished we would rot in hell.

not that we did anything to them, we were just there.

W
Jan 2, 2008
Not sure if the insinuation is that sleds are detrimental to wildlife or not but my 40years of working on the cental plains in the midst of wildlife has shown me that animals in general are terrified of HUMANS yet often show very little concern for equipment working in their area. Equipment that is much noisier and more imposing than a snowmobile. I'm no expert for sure but I wouldn't doubt you see as much of nature from a sled as you do from a pair of skiis. If the only way to see nature is on foot then how about we walk from home instead of driving.
Something wrong with people that will pour ashfault and concrete over the best wildlife terrain and then preach environmental issues to everyone else.
Sorry if this little rant is out of place, but Ive worked in the ski industry and love to sled as well and I think there is room for both.

I think "wildlife" is just a tool they use to try and ban us from an area.

I'd go Elk hunting, walk all freaking day and see nothing, finally get back to where I parked my ATV and see fresh Elk tracks all around my quad lol.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I think "wildlife" is just a tool they use to try and ban us from an area.

I'd go Elk hunting, walk all freaking day and see nothing, finally get back to where I parked my ATV and see fresh Elk tracks all around my quad lol.

one of my first wolves was pissing on the corner of my gas sled when we came back for it at the end of the day...he won't make that mistake again...have also had a bull moose standing over my wheeler while we were off walking over to look at another one...he won't be either...and I see way more animals on sleds in the winter then any other way by far...

S
Dec 2, 2007
Fond Du Lac, WI
yeah I hear you, don't into a bike shop either looking for a brake lever to make a left hand throttle with, i went into a local bike shop to get a brake lever and asked the guy to see assortment of them he showed me and asked me what i was doing with it, he just got pissed and left and never helped me

Premium Features