• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New motor from BRP

K
Mar 2, 2011
Personally I rather take durability over that small advantage of weight/rolling resistance. Amount of belt drive failures I have seen compared how much they have been used, makes chain superior.
I have to disagree. In past I have broken three times chain in my sleds. Two was in trail sled and one in crossover (ski-doo and polaris). Now 4 years with belt drive and not a single problem. But if I had a problem, I could change a new belt in terrain. So if I can choose, I will take beltdrive anyday...

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
I have to disagree. In past I have broken three times chain in my sleds. Two was in trail sled and one in crossover (ski-doo and polaris). Now 4 years with belt drive and not a single problem. But if I had a problem, I could change a new belt in terrain. So if I can choose, I will take beltdrive anyday...

Maybe you should learn how to adjust your chain to spec or change it on time. Chain is also a wear item, just like belt, carbides, etc. Its not gonna last forever but with proper maintenance you should get 10 000km on it. 2023 Turbo R was failure for the reasons we already know and it's gonna be fixed by Doo.

I've seen belt drive sprockets shatter into pieces, especially when you do hard landing on hard snow. Its a good invention but not all aftermarket is top quality and some problems might come due to poor quality control.

Btw. belt drive is not anything new, my father still has two Swedish made Ockelbo 3500 from 1988, they have belt drives instead of chain.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Up until last year, I seen more doo beltdrives fail. Back to the engine. 200hp turbo summit anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just like chains, if the belt is not adjusted properly it too can fail. Too loose and it can rip off teeth or is more suseptible to shock load as it snaps tight on a hard landing under power. But the really nice thing about a belt is it is so easy to reach in and check the tension by juit pressing on it. Failures I have seen were due to improper tension or an object going under the belt and gouging it.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
how about both a 200hp turbo 850 and a 200hp N/A engine. don't know if they can reliably wring that much power from a non turbo 850 but for guys that want the additional power but not the added complexity and cost of a turbo and/or don't ride at the highest elevations, it would be pretty sweet.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
First was 165hp
Then 180hp
....Summits coming from factory with 195hp and warranty in Feb, for MY2025. You'll see. :love:(y)
I’m happy with my 180hp but if what you say is true, I’ll no longer be on the fence about checking a ‘25.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
First was 165hp
Then 180hp
....Summits coming from factory with 195hp and warranty in Feb, for MY2025. You'll see. :love:(y)

Why would they come out with new turbo variation if the "old" version is smashing the competition in every level? Most HP, most torque, best fuel economy and best reliability. And to remember 850Turbo R has been on the snow only 1 season so far.

Personally I would expect them release renewed version of n.a. 850. Maybe R version or bigbore 900.

T
Dec 20, 2018
they dont have to change much thing till they loose some market share....anything they do right now is only making sled moe expensive , they got the big bore card figured out already most likely , another tune for a more powerfull turbo R, and the next thing most likely exist already but i dont see the point of introducing it right now...

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
They won't do anything to their turbo 850 until it is clearly getting beat up on by the competition. The Doo NA 850 is sucking wind compared to the 9R so I expect that is where they will put their efforts. Some will disagree with me but this is my observations and experience and opinion only.

T
Dec 20, 2018
They won't do anything to their turbo 850 until it is clearly getting beat up on by the competition. The Doo NA 850 is sucking wind compared to the 9R so I expect that is where they will put their efforts. Some will disagree with me but this is my observations and experience and opinion only.
Think it depends of the market share the 9r will take off.....i bet not that much....

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
boils down to what their marketing tells them what will sell. the turbo came out it 2020.5 and the R in 2023 so a 2.5 year stretch. with the '24s that makes it 2 years of the turbo R so a higher HP turbo mountain sled is possible (it's always possible) for '25 and obviously there's much more going into that decision. does BRP view the 9R as opening up a new niche and therefore also needs to be exploited or is it just a cool option but isn't really different enough to compared to any number of other mountain sleds to warrant developing a competing model? do the quality issues that plague polaris affect doo's decisions/are people switching brands such that doo is gaining new customers and therefore there's less pressure to get something new out there? who knows but it is interesting to speculate on.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
boils down to what their marketing tells them what will sell. the turbo came out it 2020.5 and the R in 2023 so a 2.5 year stretch. with the '24s that makes it 2 years of the turbo R so a higher HP turbo mountain sled is possible (it's always possible) for '25 and obviously there's much more going into that decision. does BRP view the 9R as opening up a new niche and therefore also needs to be exploited or is it just a cool option but isn't really different enough to compared to any number of other mountain sleds to warrant developing a competing model? do the quality issues that plague polaris affect doo's decisions/are people switching brands such that doo is gaining new customers and therefore there's less pressure to get something new out there? who knows but it is interesting to speculate on.
According to the recall count it was 4500 9R's for 2023 and probably way more than that for for 2024. as so many people I know have them snowchecked. How many is enough to have Doo take notice?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
What is there to notice? Whats the actual gain from a boost to a 9R? Bottom end, that’s it, and I doubt the 9R with a turbo would be an upgrade in bottom end performance over a 850 boost.
I don’t see a gain for doo to go to a bigger displacement when there is more hp available in the turbo R with the proven 850.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
What is there to notice? Whats the actual gain from a boost to a 9R? Bottom end, that’s it, and I doubt the 9R with a turbo would be an upgrade in bottom end performance over a 850 boost.
I don’t see a gain for doo to go to a bigger displacement when there is more hp available in the turbo R with the proven 850.

The 9R is much lighter than the Doo or Polaris Boost. Even lighter than a NA 850 Polaris. Lightest weight with good, quick revving power is best for tree riding. Doo should try and compete in this area.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I agree the 9r is way over priced. My turbo r was a few hundred over a 9r I had ordered. I backed out of the 9r after riding one.

Premium Features