• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New motor from BRP

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
sounds like the 9R has potential to be a great sled but judging from the posts and/or lack of around the various forums, it’s not quite the paradigm change the marketing would have you believe. I’d definitely consider owning one but not until I can ride a Polaris product w/o worrying about being towed out or a stop ride.
Everything I've seen about the 9R is that they have very peaky power. This could be because of the twin pipes, dunno.

D
Dec 22, 2018
You must be kidding? I have seen them bend from the most innocent bump. Just look at the height of the rail, only 1/2 the height of the Polaris.

And I have not seen any of Doo rails broke among the years (gen4 or 5). Me and my friends have given them some hard time. Zero issues. Local dealer has sold only few summit rails since 2017.

Local Poo dealer is my friend, amount of Pol rail failures there is its crazy.

And its not the height its about the material used and the design. Doo rails can bend and Poo rails crack.

Ofc difference is, here only very few people ride 165" and most have 154/155.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
But only 3 doo 850 engines went down and 13-14 polaris 850 and boost engine in 5 ish years.

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
While I would rather lose a rail then an engine, would be better to lose NEITHER of them!
For sure, the rails are from early season riding, got to be the first ones in the area to ride. First couple rides we start at 1000' with 4"of snow. And at 2500' -3500' there might only be 3'.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I am not a fan of early season riding, I have bent rails because of it, its also a good idea to take the carbides off the skis and run steel wear bars with hard weld on them. I have not run carbides in years, they are brand new when the sled is sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Me and my crew have 6-8 rides before the rest of the sleds come out. But I'm only 15 minutes from 3 riding zones. And 30 minutes from 2 others.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
You are all spoiled! :)

If we are north of a meter of average snow coverage it's a really good winter. Last winter we had a nice long soft snow season but the snow cover was 0,7-0,9m thick at best.
I immediately swap out the carbide runners for solid hardened bars on my sleds. On any surface softer than asphalt or ice steering is adequate, or in many cases unaffected, with the solid bars. I make the bars myself, I have also made and sold around 200 pairs to all sorts of professional users that has to ride their sleds regardless of if there is snow or not in the fall and spring.

Bent rails because of thin snow cover? How? I've hit tree stumps and rocks hard, dead center under the skid many times without bending rails. (and I'm a big boy)
I've seen many rails bent from tail landings though, and that can happen regardless of how deep the snow is, you just have to ride slow enough cresting a ridge/drift not to be able to land flat on the top ;) :cool:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
You are all spoiled! :)

If we are north of a meter of average snow coverage it's a really good winter. Last winter we had a nice long soft snow season but the snow cover was 0,7-0,9m thick at best.
I immediately swap out the carbide runners for solid hardened bars on my sleds. On any surface softer than asphalt or ice steering is adequate, or in many cases unaffected, with the solid bars. I make the bars myself, I have also made and sold around 200 pairs to all sorts of professional users that has to ride their sleds regardless of if there is snow or not in the fall and spring.

Bent rails because of thin snow cover? How? I've hit tree stumps and rocks hard, dead center under the skid many times without bending rails. (and I'm a big boy)
I've seen many rails bent from tail landings though, and that can happen regardless of how deep the snow is, you just have to ride slow enough cresting a ridge/drift not to be able to land flat on the top ;) :cool:
Bent Doo rails from hopping over small creeks and landing on the creek bank on the other side. Immediately the track starts ratcheting. That's all it takes on the long track sleds.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Bent Doo rails from hopping over small creeks and landing on the creek bank on the other side. Immediately the track starts ratcheting. That's all it takes on the long track sleds.

I doubt you (or your friend?) did not bend the rails but drivers got damaged due to hard landing with hard throttle. Doo drivers are soft and once you get ratcheting they need to be replaced by warranty.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I doubt you (or your friend?) did not bend the rails but drivers got damaged due to hard landing with hard throttle. Doo drivers are soft and once you get ratcheting they need to be replaced by warranty.
There was obviously some hard throttle to jump the 5 ft gap but the drivers were fine. The rails only bent enough that tightening the track worked to get the sled out. These rails only stand a couple inches above the hyfax so they can only take so much. They should be taller near the scissor to handle the torque. Interesting thing is they always bend in front of the scissor when they take a hit behind the scissor because the forces rotate around that pivot point.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Still find this hard to believe as here in northern Europe we ride low snow conditions (compared to US/Can mountains) and there is no issues with Doo rails, ever. Maybe its 165" thing as I said most people here ride 154/146 for deep snow. Conditions are much more challenging due to low snow pack (1,5m+ at the best winters) as we hit rocks, stumps and trees all season.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I would not compare a lynx to a doo. A lynx is built heavier and tougher. I have bent a rail just by contacting a rock the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The comparison of Europe to NA.

Mountain early season has big challenges with bending parts. The rocks are very pointy and jagged. From what I have seen the Lynx rail looks stronger than the doo rail.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Well imagine thats what our whole season is like.

Lynx suspension used to be heavy duty built back in the days (around 2010-2013) but as the sport has been evolving they have been trying to cut weight down every year, especially on deep snow sleds. Its not that heavy duty anymore. Many riders here add extra axels or rail stiffeners to 3900-4100 models. Doo doesnt need them. Ofc if you are unlucky anything can broke.

Premium Features