• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New motor from BRP

D
Sep 10, 2014
With Polaris introduction of the 9R last year and Arctic Cat now with the new 858 engine, i guess its time for Ski-doo to take the next step in the engine departement.
The 850 E-tec is on its 8th year for 24. Yes it has been a good engine, but i feel its time for the next level.
What do you guys think we see next, and when will it be here?

R
Nov 16, 2016
With Polaris introduction of the 9R last year and Arctic Cat now with the new 858 engine, i guess its time for Ski-doo to take the next step in the engine departement.
The 850 E-tec is on its 8th year. Yes it has been a good engine, but i feel its time for the next level.
What do you guys think we will see next, and when will it be here?

I am 74 years old. I own 4 Skidoo sleds.
My personal sled is a 2020 850 Summit X 154.
I do not ride like you younger guys do.
That said, I can't imagine needing more power.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
With BRP's history, there's no doubt they are working on "SOMETHING ". I can't even imagine what it might be. I've owned their 850's (na and turbos) from the start and have not had any issues. Rotax builds solid engines and I'm sure there's something new up their sleeves.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
I don’t think Skidoo needs a new na motor to stay competitive. The 850 is still a solid engine compared to the 9r and the turbo R is a lot smoother than the boost. However, this is about the longest Skidoo has ever gone without majorly changing their largest na motor so I’m sure something is coming very soon. I’m hoping for some more power in the turbo r too, 11k feet still robs a lot of power.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
if they can reliably get 200hp from the 850 I could see that happening incrementally over a few years as the companies continually one up each other.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Its easy to get 200hp on pump gas out of the turbo, it’s already available, just not from the factory, yet…..
I do not think it’s necessary to change the displacement of the doo 850 without making it heavier, possibly upgrades yes. Reality is, the 9r is not that impressive, mountain guys like it because of the throttle response in the trees. I have ridden a Polaris boost and the bottom end is horrible. The turbo R 850 feels like a very powerful 850 NA, doo did a great job with that engine on the summit, it will be interesting to see how the trail version does.
Bottom line is, Doo is always pushing forward, guaranteed they have something new in the works. What that is, is open to interpretation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Aug 8, 2011
I keep hearing rumors of a 180hp class NA engine and a 200hp factory turbo setup. Yes, skidoo could put out their current power plant in a higher state of tune and hit those numbers. But that really never is their style. I’ll be on the look for their next wave of technology…look at the new Maverick R. Wild outside the box thinking across the board to push performance. The BRP engineers are really really good, can’t wait to see what they come out with!!

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I’d take better reliability and quality over more hp in the 850. Also, more efficient clutching and a belt drive might yield better results.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Man a belt drive system from factory and updated rear skid would be solid!!!

Doubt you will see a BD from doo, in this platform anyway. I know they tested it years ago.
The G5 rear suspension is updated, works pretty good actually, I like it.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
When it comes to a big bore N/A sled, It does not matter if it is not needed or wanted by the Doo crew. They already bought what they think is the best. It only matters if it would be bought by the 9R crew. Were there enough 9R's sold to show Doo that they are missing the market on a light weight big bore? I think so.

Premium Features