• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP big bores - lets compare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Are you serious??

So....how many of you have been lucky enough to get the fine level of porting that I paid for on my 885 and never got?

attachment.php

WTF. If that isn't a kick in the nads.... Looks like Ralphy was sleeping at the helm.

M

Maxwe

Dec 1, 2007
Alberta
The other thing we learned Dave that with the extra cc and no porting it really didnt perform any better than stock. Just trying to cheer you up.
You should be able to claim on your tax return for scientific research dollars.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
The other thing we learned Dave that with the extra cc and no porting it really didnt perform any better than stock. Just trying to cheer you up.
You should be able to claim on your tax return for scientific research dollars.

The main problem with a BB/no porting is exhaust volume...picture the exhaust port like a funnel...the port window being the biggest part...bore it out = making exhaust port smaller, and you lose port timing to boot...

Dave take a pic of the exhaust port (through the top of cylinder looking down/out the port to show size/shape of stock port now) and then take one after its updated...;)-BJ

T

tinman800

Dec 16, 2007
Funny how when I posted my question about whether anyone elses SS 885 had any porting the boys from the north bashed on me. The question I still have is: are the 885's that run well ported? I would guess yes. I'm sure ralph builds a good motor but I feel I did not get what I paid for. Like DaveB said live and learn.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Innisfail, Alberta
I've got the pics already....I never posted the exh side because A) it's also unported, and B) its all black making the picture real hard to see anything.

Nice porting Dave. The ports are blended so well I can't even tell where the porting starts and finishes. Did you measure the bore? Maybe SS forgot that part also?

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
Nice porting Dave. The ports are blended so well I can't even tell where the porting starts and finishes. Did you measure the bore? Maybe SS forgot that part also?

hehehe....it's got the bigger pistons.....and they're worn out already as well....new ones coming.

FYI for anyone considering a BB....DON'T go 880 (go 860) and DON'T go Split Second. With the 880 the bore is larger and the O-ring groove must be welded in on the jugs then cut into the head....now you can't run an aftermarket head....except a custom deal. While we're talking about that, many thanks to Kelsy at RKT for building a custom head. Big John at SHR is taking care of the jugs and internals and I'll get loaded and put 'er all back together when ready!

Another FYI folks: SHR and RKT stepped forward and offered to help me out. These guys are true enthusiasts and care about customer satisfaction. This goes a LONG way in my book. Wish I would have spent my money more wisely the first time.

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
FYI for anyone considering a BB....DON'T go 880 (go 860) and DON'T go Split Second. With the 880 the bore is larger and the O-ring groove must be welded in on the jugs then cut into the head....now you can't run an aftermarket head....except a custom deal While we're talking about that, many thanks to Kelsy at RKT for building a custom head. Big John at SHR is taking care of the jugs and internals and I'll get loaded and put 'er all back together when ready!

Another FYI folks: SHR and RKT stepped forward and offered to help me out. These guys are true enthusiasts and care about customer satisfaction. This goes a LONG way in my book. Wish I would have spent my money more wisely the first time.

I would say this is something that Split Second decided to do. I have seen a few 880's made by builders other then SS that use the stock style O-Ring set up and they rip.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
DaveB,
Its good you spoke up about your SS kit. My buddy has a 880 kit from SS also,very disappointing. Between the coolant leaks, lack of power over stock, NO porting(casting marks are still there), not impressive. Come to find out the piston was hitting the dome. More than likely his deto sensor was retarding the timing.

He didnt wanna bash on SS's kit, but somebody else is trying to fix it for him.

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
DaveB,
Its good you spoke up about your SS kit. My buddy has a 880 kit from SS also,very disappointing. Between the coolant leaks, lack of power over stock, NO porting(casting marks are still there), not impressive. Come to find out the piston was hitting the dome. More than likely his deto sensor was retarding the timing.

He didnt wanna bash on SS's kit, but somebody else is trying to fix it for him.

I don't want to bash either....lets just call it "buyer beware". There are a few guys on the site here who seem to have good luck with SS stuff. I'm wondering, do you get a different set up if you go through the owner directly than you get if you get it through your dealership? Maybe the dealerships get "cookie cutter" larger bores while going to SS direct gets you the "personal touch". I dunno. BUYER BEWARE.

T

tinman800

Dec 16, 2007
Tinman are you saying yours did also was not ported?

Yes no porting and I delt directly with ralph when I purchased so I don't think it has anything to do with buying thru a dealer. It sucks to have paid so much for so little but I have learned my lesson and will do business with guys alittle closer to home

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
On a similar topic. there are some copycat bb's out there...more than a couple.

I do feel for you guys. My 06 built by ralph is flawless. Actually he has built me 4 motors in total (2 860's, 550 Fan, and another "project") and they have all hauled the mail. Just sent him my 09 cylinders and I have total faith it will be a killer sled. I will post all the info when its done. stock dyno runs and after the bb, all on the same dyno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features