• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP big bores - lets compare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
On a similar topic. there are some copycat bb's out there...more than a couple.

I do feel for you guys. My 06 built by ralph is flawless. Actually he has built me 4 motors in total (2 860's, 550 Fan, and another "project") and they have all hauled the mail. Just sent him my 09 cylinders and I have total faith it will be a killer sled. I will post all the info when its done. stock dyno runs and after the bb, all on the same dyno.

PG- When you get your cylinders back...and theres porting:beer;...BUT thats NOT what I've seen from 2 SS880's that are in my shop now:confused:...BJ

G
Apr 23, 2008
I dunno guys ?????

dyno testing for ski doo SNOW CROSS racers,,back in 2004-2005. The oem NON HO cylinders with OF COURSE,, the oem race shop pipes cdi and heads made over 163 hp @ 8300rpm.

with HO cylinders they LOST torque but gained peak to the tune of 168-171 hp 8700rpm..

What I am getting at is even without much porting AT ALL the doo stuff with good pipe choice will make big damn big power...!!

My pro class engines of that era were 183 + at 8300-8700..

THAT was with the non HO cylinder with a STOCK main exhaust port !!!!!
What I am getting at is these big bores, with no porting per say, should have the better LOWER ex port and just need a little transfer work to get them up and snortin !!!

Especially if they were built on the HO cylinder,, NOW that cylinder would REALLY BE HO..!!!!

lower e port, wider , deeper subs and raised transfers will do the job really well,, leave that back reed area boost port lower than the other 4 transfers....you WILL LIKE IT..I promise !!!!

Gus:cool::D

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I dunno guys ?????

dyno testing for ski doo SNOW CROSS racers,,back in 2004-2005. The oem NON HO cylinders with OF COURSE,, the oem race shop pipes cdi and heads made over 163 hp @ 8300rpm.

with HO cylinders they LOST torque but gained peak to the tune of 168-171 hp 8700rpm..

What I am getting at is even without much porting AT ALL the doo stuff with good pipe choice will make big damn big power...!!

My pro class engines of that era were 183 + at 8300-8700..

THAT was with the non HO cylinder with a STOCK main exhaust port !!!!!
What I am getting at is these big bores, with no porting per say, should have the better LOWER ex port and just need a little transfer work to get them up and snortin !!!

Especially if they were built on the HO cylinder,, NOW that cylinder would REALLY BE HO..!!!!

lower e port, wider , deeper subs and raised transfers will do the job really well,, leave that back reed area boost port lower than the other 4 transfers....you WILL LIKE IT..I promise !!!!

Gus:cool::D

Gus- your 100% correct for TWIN PIPES:beer;(FYI- those HP #'s are from twin pipes/ 16.5-1 head @ straight 110 octane / snoX mod ignition box)...a single pipe is whole different game, like 207-208 ex port heights ;)....

I just did a twin pipe specific 860...when bored out the ex port dropped 3 degree (202 vs stock 205)...we left it there, BUT still ported everything else, just didnt RAISE the ex. port timing...per Crank Shop specs to match there TWIN pipes...

HENCE the issue with any BB with no porting...intake/transfers OK...BUT the ex port is lower @ smaller + stock sub ports = no HP gains....BJ

Last edited:
I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
No borderline nothing, Johnsie....we ordered a BIG BORE....and we got bigger pistons. I guess you have to be specific that you want the big bore that makes more power than stock.

What is SS saying about this? Or is that what thier BB kit is , bigger holes and pistons and thats it?

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I wouldn't send my wheelbarrow up there at this point. You know how I mod my stuff year after year...SS just lost the potential for many mods over the years....and SHR and RKT just gained a customer for many mods over the years. PLUS anyone I talk to and have any influence.....

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Exactly. Why take a chance doing business there? I was leaning their direction for a BB on my XP, but not anymore. I dont think Im on thier inner circle so I doubt I would get any porting either.:rolleyes:

G
Apr 23, 2008
Ya Johnnie,, the rs 600 2008 version would make 135-137 on my dyno and on d and d 's syno..:D
the 2008 mod kit as shipped from doo made 133-135 hp !!!!!!:mad:

the big pro stock 1000 type square as a barn door exhaust port was overscavenging with the twins..

Without the higher comp domes the mod kit LOST 24 HP !!!vs the single piped rs stocker..LOL

The 2009 rs stocker fell to 130 hp ( doo lenghtened the pipe and added 4 degrees timing to the box.. she fell apart like paper airplane..LOL

a few teams got caught running the 08 pipe and box on the 09 stockers..LOL

the 08 mod pipes same deal,,, much mcuh harder hitting better pipes than the 09 pipes..same with 09 mod box.. bad curve .. lots of excuses..:cool::mad:

Gus

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Ya Johnnie,, the rs 600 2008 version would make 135-137 on my dyno and on d and d 's syno..:D
the 2008 mod kit as shipped from doo made 133-135 hp !!!!!!:mad:

the big pro stock 1000 type square as a barn door exhaust port was overscavenging with the twins..

Without the higher comp domes the mod kit LOST 24 HP !!!vs the single piped rs stocker..LOL

The 2009 rs stocker fell to 130 hp ( doo lenghtened the pipe and added 4 degrees timing to the box.. she fell apart like paper airplane..LOL

a few teams got caught running the 08 pipe and box on the 09 stockers..LOL

the 08 mod pipes same deal,,, much mcuh harder hitting better pipes than the 09 pipes..same with 09 mod box.. bad curve .. lots of excuses..:cool::mad:

Gus

Ya think a pair of 670HO pistons would be "OK" in the MOD class?? LOL...150+ HP and a solid 99+ TQ @ 8200-8300 rpm with a dialed in race gas 700HO single pipe mod motor:eek::beer;.....BJ

BTW- I bet the lower RPM NON-HO 800 mod motors were killer on short/tight tracks and the higher rpm HO MOD motors ran better on the longer/open courses...

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
John's reputation....not only standing behind his work, but the work of OTHERS has earned my business.....it's on the way John :beer;:)

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I wouldn't send my wheelbarrow up there at this point. You know how I mod my stuff year after year...SS just lost the potential for many mods over the years....and SHR and RKT just gained a customer for many mods over the years. PLUS anyone I talk to and have any influence.....

Dave...I have your cylinder back, it kinda looks ported?? cant really tell??:p...got your 880 specific RKT head:present:....waiting on CS for the slugs:clock:...

Winterbrew- Thank you...I DOO my best...BJ

Last edited:
F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
Anyone tried differnt set twinpipes,what works best on 860 ,brp,crankshop,jaws,dmax?

G
Apr 23, 2008
crffred !!!!
I see you flamed me on my reputation..

You did not like my comment above on port times and the results ??
If you have an issue with me put it out for us all to see and understand..

I eagerly await a public explanation of your reasoning..

Pay attention BJ,, this guy is trouble..

Gus

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features