• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wrecked Sled - Needs to be recovered...

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
fine

$5000 fine, & jail time,the punishment doesn' t fit the crime. Who was really hurt? It's like giving someone caught with a littlle pot life

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
This deal stunk from the beginning. Fact of it is when and if you enter a wilderness area you are creating a bad name for the rest of us. This particular area of the so called "wrecked snowmobile" is a highly controversial area and has been under fire from the Green Groups for sometime and it would not surprise me at all if the text from this forum and the WCS forum end up in a hearing with the FS. Decisions decisions and while some feel the issue should not be big as it is, well guess what it is. Sorry guys, but there is no longer a margin for error and abiding by the rules will ensure we can continue to ride in the years going forward.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Yes I was wondering about this as well. I have been reading a lot lately about them trying to close even more riding areas up at Tahoe this year. I was not able to make it to the meeting but it sounded like quite a few people were able to talk to the forest service reps about the issues facing some of the proposed areas that are being considered for closure. It looks like some more organizations are stepping up helping with the fight to keep the areas open for riding. The next meeting is at the end of this month up in Tahoe at a local eatery to discuss how to show a united front to fight for our right to enjoy this great land of ours.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20120817/ARCHIVES01/120819929/1068&ParentProfile=1056</O:p>

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The main problem with this story would be that if someone left a sled there last winter, and were this concerned, they would not wait until the middle of June to worry about getting it out.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
So some crazy greenies planted a wrecked sled in a no riding area to trap some poor well intentioned sledders trying to remove it......typical enviro wacko trick..... Dumbest thing ever to remove the vin btw

hockeyb4

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I would venture a guess that there is no sled it is a info gathering tactic to show that in this situation that not only would "sledders" not be opposed to breaking the law entering a wilderness area but do it again to recover the sled. Taken out of context i.e. "selective editing for content" this whole thread makes us look like the exact opposite of what we need or are about.
just my thought

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
A call BS, so because of some posts made on an internet forum, the party or parties that started this thread have generlized all Sledders as criminals?:face-icon-small-con That's just ridiculous.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I was a bit suspicious after Post #8...which seemed to be written in 'First Person', when the 1st Post was written in 'Third Person'.

Now...if you have a few days to read a lot of posts...here's a recovery adventure done WITH contacting the authorities (with a court date in a couple weeks), but he did the right thing, IMO. (See Posts #18 & #68 specifically)

http://www.rzrforums.net/general-rz...ly-execute-rescue-extraction-members-utv.html

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I read that whole story because it is a truely epic rescue. However, I think this snowmobile is in a place that is even bigger of a no-no. Not that it makes it any more okay for the owner to try and do this without the proper authorities

Reactions: Dobber1

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
I also know personally that flying a helo even near a Wilderness Area can get your LZ visited by two black Surburbans and a white P/U full of armed fed's....?!?!?!!?

The only saving grace in our situation was that we were doing a low-level survey guided by diffrential GPS. The proof from our mapping software on-board the helo showed we never entered the airspace a 'ranger' on the ground said we did. Yes, it was a serious WTF senario that came with a really stupid and WAY over-the-top response, but happened nonetheless!:face-icon-small-con

I can only imagine the response if a 'ranger' saw a helo long-lining a sled well inside a wilderness area!:face-icon-small-sho

As a pilot who may or may not of made a few infractions in the last 12 years. The Feds will let you play stupid once every 5 years

Although they may consider this a crime, which tosses this form out the window.

Aviation Safety Reporting System
AC No: 00-46D
Aviation Safety Reporting Program (ASRP)
/ASRP lets those involved with flying provide raw data to NASA for processing and analysis with assured anonymity. The reports cannot be used for FAA/NTSB enforcement action unless a crime is involved.
I would urge every pilot to have several blank Aviation Safety Reporting Forms on every flight. In circumstances where you think you may have exposed yourself to an FAA/FAR violation, completing the form will protect you from FAA sanctions if the act was not intentional. NASA uses the form to make safety recommendations to the FAA to prevent ATC/pilot safety problems. If you don't have the form just send a letter
to:
Aviation Safety Reporting System
P.O. Box 189
Moffett Field, CA
94035-0189
While you're at it, ask to be put on their "Callback" mailing list. It is the best free flying publication in the world. The purpose of ASRS is to promote flying safety in all aspects of flying by allow the little guy pilot to safely submit material to whose who can make improvement without fear of retribution. Only accidents and crime are not exempt from this protection. (NASA Form 277B at http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov) The pilot who submits an ASRS report gets a receipt that must be saved since all other identification is removed. Should the FAA initiate action
the receipt is your ticket out of trouble.
--2/3 of 277Bs are submitted by airline pilots.
--G/A sent in 23 percent.
--About 1/4 of forms get special study.
--100 of 34000 got to manufacturers.
--67 go to FAA as alerts
--FAA averages 3000 enforcement actions against pilots.
--30-percent had certificates revoked or suspended.
--2/3 of actions were against pilots who fly for a living
--15-percent of private pilots won against the FAA.
--25 percent of private pilots received revoked or suspended licenses.
--Only one in 100 of private pilots violated were exempted because of filed 277Bs.
--Three of ten commercial pilots violated avoided the problem via 277Bs.
--One in ten of ATP violated escaped because of filed 277Bs.
The get Immunity:
--What you did must be inadvertent
--Must not be accident, crime or lack of qualification
--Must have receipt showing Form 277B filed within ten days.
--Can be used only once in five years.

Premium Features