• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wrecked Sled - Needs to be recovered...

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
You may want to look into California law before removing the VIN. In SD it is a felony to possess a vehicle with an altered VIN.

In Idaho you can drag an obviously stolen chassis out of the forest to clean it up. Give the police gps coordinates, description of how and where you found it, 2 months later drag it home and they still wont come look at the vin on it.
I finally sent it to a guy out of state that needed a bulkhead just to get it out of my yard.

I would say if you salvaged the sled sans the vin number, to retunnel it and then let em know you had done it.

But then of course that would be illegal.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Why do you need pictures of a wrecked sled or the location of it to help with suggestions to get it out of where it's at? I wouldn't post the location for alot of reasons besides people steeling off of it.

He said he would post pics.. Guy might get some ideas and help with preplanning, so you don't get back there and wish you would have brought something else. Some would probably like to plan it out, instead of guess.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Interesting read

sounds like it would be a little tough to prove that your friend did not know it was a wilderness area if in fact that it is located near Hope Valley area. Notice the release date at the top The 5,000 dollar fine and jail time would definitely be reasons not to get caught retriving the sled where ever it is located around tahoe

Forest Service cites five for snowmobile violations

Release Date: Feb 29, 2012
Contact(s): Public Affairs, Cheva Heck (530) 543-2608, <!-- Added condition to display 2nd and 3rd contacts if available -->or Lisa Herron (530) 543-2815

<!-- gets dynamic conversion of content -->
Violations occurred in Mokelumne Wilderness

fsm9_045805.gif
South Lake Tahoe, <ACRONYM title=California>Calif.</ACRONYM> – <ACRONYM title="United States">U.S.</ACRONYM> Forest Service officers cited five local men last weekend for riding snowmobiles in the Mokelumne Wilderness on the Eldorado National Forest. The five riders, residents of South Lake Tahoe and the Carson Valley, received mandatory notices to appear before the federal magistrate in Sacramento.
The wilderness area is accessed from the Blue Lake trailhead and the Forestdale area on <ACRONYM title=Highway>Hwy.</ACRONYM> 88. The area is posted as closed to motorized use and maps are readily available. While on patrol, officers observed fresh snowmobile tracks passing directly underneath closure signs.
The violation can result in a fine of not more than $5,000, imprisonment for not more than six months, or both. Officers from the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit and the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest participated in the enforcement operation.
The Mokelumne Wilderness was designated with the original Wilderness Act in 1964, and like all wilderness areas is closed to any motorized activity. Understanding which areas are open and closed to snowmobiling is an essential part of planning a snowmobile outing.
Maps are located at the Hope Valley Snopark and Forestdale Road that clearly explain winter recreation opportunities in the area. Free maps are also available at the Carson Ranger District office and on the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest website​

T
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks to everyone, especially those of you that offered your time, effort and equipment to help a stranger! :usa2: I will be sure to update and post some pics once this situation is finally resolved. Thanks again.

Come on...Really?

The only responsible thing to do is to call the authorities, give them the location of the sled and then buy it back at their auction.

I wonder how much time and money the authorities would spend extracting and auctioning a sled.... Waaaayyyy to much in my eyes.

The best option seriously sounds like just nutting up and backpacking everything out with a group of friends and fellow riders. Buy a couple kegs and have a bbq for everyone that helps.

Best option for the environment, best for the sport, great way to make some new friends, and best option financially (public or private), and it'll probably make you never want to poach again if you aren't already of that mindset.

This whole situation reminds me of insurance you can buy in other countries, specifically in Europe, where you get extraction and emergency coverage for a reasonable premium regardless of your location. I don't think it includes extracting something like a sled, but could probably be optioned that way. I've never really seen such coverages in the US, but it could be a great option for privatizing recovery and rescue efforts so the taxpayer isn't paying for an adventurers mistake or misfortune.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Bring tools...slings for carrying the bulkhead/tunnel by two people... Lots of oil zorb pads, etc... Clean it up... Pack it in... Pack it into a tree... pack it out...

10 - 12 guys can do it in one trip.

Bring a Polaris Ranger/or other UTV to the nearest LEGAL point and set that up as base.

On foot... the only way... bring ropes if needed.

Don't break any more laws cleaning up your mess. BUT... clean up your mess... every last bit of it.

Riding in Wilderness areas... c'mon

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
pack in the necessary tools, take engine out, pack it out when you leave...cut up balance of sled, dig decent hole, put it in, let mother nature reclaim it...may take a while, but mom does a nice job...when i think of all the aircraft crashed into forest and wilderness areas over the years, not to mention old mining operations, etc., my conscience wouldn't bother me that much..not getting a 5k fine plus jail, and how that would affect job and family...i guess i could live with a bit of guilt....time to shut up and gitr' done..

Last edited:

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
I also know personally that flying a helo even near a Wilderness Area can get your LZ visited by two black Surburbans and a white P/U full of armed fed's....?!?!?!!?

The only saving grace in our situation was that we were doing a low-mevel survey guided by diffrential GPS. The proof from our mapping software on-board the helo showed we never entered the airspace a 'ranger' on the ground said we did. Yes, it was a serious WTF senario that came with a really stupid and WAY over-the-top response, but happened nonetheless!:face-icon-small-con

I can only imagine the response if a 'ranger' saw a helo long-lining a sled well inside a wilderness area!:face-icon-small-sho

CRRRRAAAAZY!..... thats CONSPIRACY stuff there! (and I believe ya!) Might wonder what you mighta been in the same vicinity of? WOW. Although... 2 manned suburbans along with a P/U should do the "nicely" for gettin' that wreck out...:face-icon-small-win

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
If the helicopter option is out, I would try the get some mules or hire an outfitter to get your sled.

Good luck Tar

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Unless illegal, consider fabbing up a hand cart using mountain bike wheels. basically a 4'x8' wheeled dolly out of 2x4s. Might take a day or two to round up the wheels.

If the place is not above treeline you can get a 5-600lb object like a bent sled up a pretty big slope with just 3-4 guys with ropes and pulleys. If it's an open slope you need a 6 to 8 man crew and some sort of brake on the cart.

Have you contacted the FS about what your options are? they may allow a helicopter for the purposes of extracting the "litter" of a wrecked machine. If they give permission find an operator with a Robinson R-44. They're the cheapest per/hour helicopter capable of slinging out a sled. (about $500/hr)

Good luck

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
i say get about 4 friends and pack the thing out. give someone the suspension parts, someone had the track and plastics, one with engine and one with tunnel and bulkhead. it wouldnt be much of a load split between a few guys. there aint much to a sled. go in at night, bring cordless tools, disassemble during the day and pack out at night

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
The problem with any kind of a wheeled cart is that it is just as illegal as the sled in a wilderness area. The FS will make a mountain biker disassemble them and pack a bike out because the wheels leave tire marks.

Carts are a good idea but they cause as many if not more problems than they solve.
I'd agree with the disassemble in daytime and pack it out at night.

Reactions: Steelman
J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
How about they turn themselves in and we all stop adding fuel to the fire. A crime was commited and this kind of press is bad for the sport as a whole, but a bunch of people trying to figure out how to get away with it ... even worse.

The scraped off VIN tells me they knew they were breaking the law.

Fines , yes
$$$ spent on recovery , yes
Proof that the people in our sport can police themselves , yes!

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
How about they turn themselves in and we all stop adding fuel to the fire. A crime was commited and this kind of press is bad for the sport as a whole, but a bunch of people trying to figure out how to get away with it ... even worse.

The scraped off VIN tells me they knew they were breaking the law.

Fines , yes
$$$ spent on recovery , yes
Proof that the people in our sport can police themselves , yes!

Morally perfect GOD, we bow to your words of wisdom..:face-icon-small-ton

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
No one said that, but look at things before posting that's all. Member since Jan, 2011, only 10 posts .... 9 in this thread?

Not the first time people have come on here fishing for negitive press .... WMC anyone?

Just saying, if your going to come on here and blab to the mass's that you know were there is a sled, illegaly crashed in wilderness that was accessed via tresspassing with the VIN scratched off ... seems like some fishing to me.

Reactions: SLDHVN

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I can see your point jacmmaxwell. I am not sure how negative this looks from the outside when 95% of the people in this forum have said clean the FN mess up regardless if you get caught and leave no trace behind. Granted there were a few that said leave it. I think it would look worse if everyone said to leave it there and forget about it. I agree there was a crime but I believe that most people in this forum were trying to lessen the impact of it by offering suggestion on how to clean the mess up and not trying to as you put it "trying to get away with a crime" If this was a fishing exercise they were in this forum and over on West coast sledders getting the same feedback. GO in and clean the mess up. I think that says more about our snowmobile community then anything. However as you are implying peoples replies can be twisted to make it look bad for us as well. I noticed that the Tahoeguy has since left this forum and it continues to get responses. I for one hope you are wrong I guess we will see.<O:p</O:p

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
If Tahoeguy was a hiker fishing to lay blame for an abandoned sled.... now that he knows it wont happen, maybe he can just post up the location. If in fact it WAS abandoned, I for one will hike in there and recover it. Heck, in that scenario, I'll even inform FS that im doing it and I am CLAIMING the parts! I dont think there was any negative press out of it otherwise. I know of MANY a mark left behind by "so-called" tree huggers... fire pits for one. Every sport has its small share of renegades. Sledding could be the "cleanest" sport on the planet... and "someone" would still fight to close it down, thats my belief. So... who really cares if theres "black eyes" for the sport out there. Overall, the majority is responsible. WHEN (not IF) the day comes that the backcountry is ALL LOCKED up... you can sell off your sleds/gear and "follow the letter of the gov't law", or dont.:face-icon-small-win

Reactions: Leaf27
Premium Features