• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

With Ski Doo breaking the internet...

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
... what does Polaris need to do on March 2nd to get people to stop taking about the 850t?

Will the masses be happy if it's an Axys chasis sub 400lbs?

Or does it need to be a new chassis?

Just a turbo?

I'm curious to see what they are coming out with!

Ace

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If polaris came with bold new graphics it is still an awesome sled. My only gripe on my buddy's 163 kaos is seat height. You won't see a turbo until they do a chassis change.people aren't going to just switch to the doo do to a turbo. Complete different feel. You have to like them and a lot of people don't. Power is easy to remedy. Handling is not. My wife has one and i only like it in deeper snow. It feels front heavy in lesser snow.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
850t does nothing for me. Been on doo for a long time they need a new chassis and mounting for engine. I like the axys more than any doo ive had. Light and cool clutch's.. poo really doesnt have to do to much

jb800

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Currently MN
I believe the biggest thing polaris has to do for 2021 is shorten the tunnel. This is not a fad. I own a 154 Alpha and a 20 155 850 and in any clime situation my Alpha will come over on itself if needed. My poo will not. I also was told under 400lbs factory sled. That to me means allot more then a factory turbo. My Alpha is a fun sled but I find myself enjoying riding my new 850 better. I think if you were to line all 3 factory 150 or 160 series sleds up in a row in 3 feet of pow and a good climb, the Alpha would come out on top. But the front end being heavier in any other snow condition wears me out faster. I don't care for the handling of the doo. Something I could get used to but I believe I can put my Axys in allot steeper conditions and still feel confident. Just my .02

JAW

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2009
Kettle Falls, Steamboat Springs, CO
I rode the 850t last week and was very impressed with the power delivery. Smoothest turbo I’ve ridden. With that being said that chassis is still a tough one for me to ride. Have no major complaints with the current Axys chassis. However, if I could change a few smaller things it would be: heated throttle block and brake lever, factory tether and Shot. It’s the little things that can make sledding more enjoyable.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Sub 400 giving it the best power to weight and i'm in for sure.

Best power to weight at sea level.

I've jumped from Polaris to Doo a few times over the years.. The difference in riding them is quite apparent, but its nothing a seasoned rider can't get used to after a few minor adjustments. Personally I don't like the t-motion or flex edge track. I feel once you get rid of that it truly becomes a well mannered machine. You guys at elevation would be silly to pass up a factory turbo.. however it seems a lot are too stubborn and stuck in their ways to try something new for a while.

That being said, I'd love to see Polaris release a sub 390lb mountain sled or a 410lb 900cc. I'm not in the market for a new sled, but that would seriously get me thinking.

Also wouldn't hurt to make a chassis and skid that doesn't hold so much snow.. Might be the lightest on the showroom floor, but its not after a day riding.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
can and seat is sub 400, not a big deal as its already being done.

jb800

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Currently MN
Best power to weight at sea level.

I've jumped from Polaris to Doo a few times over the years.. The difference in riding them is quite apparent, but its nothing a seasoned rider can't get used to after a few minor adjustments. Personally I don't like the t-motion or flex edge track. I feel once you get rid of that it truly becomes a well mannered machine. You guys at elevation would be silly to pass up a factory turbo.. however it seems a lot are too stubborn and stuck in their ways to try something new for a while.

That being said, I'd love to see Polaris release a sub 390lb mountain sled or a 410lb 900cc. I'm not in the market for a new sled, but that would seriously get me thinking.

Also wouldn't hurt to make a chassis and skid that doesn't hold so much snow.. Might be the lightest on the showroom floor, but its not after a day riding.
Ya, they definatly need to do somthing with their tunnel heat exchanger. Holds way to mutch snow. My Alpha holds zero snow on the tunnel.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Ya, they definatly need to do somthing with their tunnel heat exchanger. Holds way to mutch snow. My Alpha holds zero snow on the tunnel.

For those of us that continue to use the sled as long as there is snow on the ground even if it's getting hard won't like reduced cooling volume and/or surface. The short cooler cats and Yamis have a hard time in the spring around here.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
For those of us that continue to use the sled as long as there is snow on the ground even if it's getting hard won't like reduced cooling volume and/or surface. The short cooler cats and Yamis have a hard time in the spring around here.
I've never found Polaris to be very efficient with cooling.. even with the tunnel long heat exchangers. My Ski-doos have always cooled much better in low snow environments. They hold a little bit of snow, but not like the Polaris.

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
I've never found Polaris to be very efficient with cooling.. even with the tunnel long heat exchangers. My Ski-doos have always cooled much better in low snow environments. They hold a little bit of snow, but not like the Polaris.

Not to sure about that, was just in Idaho riding with some gen 4’s and they were all running wayyyy hotter than our axys’ on the trail, scratchers down, to the point some of them had to stop, and me and buddy had to run back down and get coolant for them cause they pushed it out and the bottles were empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
me and buddy had to run back down and get coolant for them cause they pushed it out and the bottles were empty.

Yeah, Well its kind of difficult to stay cool with no coolant.

My old 2013 was brutal trying to leave from my house on hard pack snow.. My 2016 was much better, but still required scratchers on the trail.. None of my etecs 'needed' scratchers.. they were there for lubrication of the slides more than anything.

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
Yeah, Well its kind of difficult to stay cool with no coolant.

My old 2013 was brutal trying to leave from my house on hard pack snow.. My 2016 was much better, but still required scratchers on the trail.. None of my etecs 'needed' scratchers.. they were there for lubrication of the slides more than anything.

Well they started our week long trip full of coolant, but was blown out on to the front right shock... not sure what their temps actually were just kept hearing them saying they were at so and so bars on the temp gauge. All the 18+ axys were running 125-130 on hard morning trails going up the mountain.

Last edited:
S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I totally disagree with your statement, I ride with alot off doos and we often take a 10 km whooped out trail to the deep and they are constantly pulling over to cool of, us 2 pol are hot, 150ish , but we can keep going.

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
I totally disagree with your statement, I ride with alot off doos and we often take a 10 km whooped out trail to the deep and they are constantly pulling over to cool of, us 2 pol are hot, 150ish , but we can keep going.

Same thing we ya. My 16 axys runs a little warmer than the 18+ axys, but nothing I have to pull over and cool off for.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
My 2018 Switchback and 2020 Khaos run about 25-30 degrees cooler than what my 2016 SKS did. The new head and thermostat on the 800 and the cooling system on the 850 are much better than what the older setup used to be.
I remember reading about that update and being curious how it would work out. My 16 was an SKS, and the cooling wasn't great.. I can't imagine what the Pro RMK would have been like. I think they increased the cooling capacity on the 850 as well.

I'm very excited to see what 2021 is going to bring for Polaris. There really isn't a substitute for light weight and it seems they got the lightest sled battle on lock down.

Premium Features