• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who Uses A 1/2 Ton?

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Just curious, If a 1/2 ton truck can "handle" the load of a 4 place inclosed and if within the legal limits, why do people keep saying that they have added air bags or overload springs or equalizing hitch. Doesn't that in its self say that the truck isn't handleing the weight? Just curious!!
I tow with a D3500 with a cummins--not for an enclosed trailer (I put my sleds on a deck) but for a piece of mind. I know I can hook on to most loads and tow just fine.
I would not tow a 4 place with a 1/2 ton-----but thats just me.
Several years ago I watched my brothers father-inlaw tow a stock trailer with 7 full grown cows in it about 150 miles with a 1/2 ton Chev. He didn't hesitate at all. The load had to be well over 10k.
SO--it can be done--Just ask your self--Is it safe? Is it legal?
The simple fact that one is asking a question makes me think he already new the answer in his gut.

BigT

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
No you can't do anything with a 1/2 ton....I tried to put some mountain bikes in the back of mine and the frame bent. Also tried to tow the tent trailer that my neighbor usually tows with his Civic, and it sent the pistons right through the hood.

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Just curious, If a 1/2 ton truck can "handle" the load of a 4 place inclosed and if within the legal limits, why do people keep saying that they have added air bags or overload springs or equalizing hitch. Doesn't that in its self say that the truck isn't handleing the weight? Just curious!!
I tow with a D3500 with a cummins--not for an enclosed trailer (I put my sleds on a deck) but for a piece of mind. I know I can hook on to most loads and tow just fine.
I would not tow a 4 place with a 1/2 ton-----but thats just me.
Several years ago I watched my brothers father-inlaw tow a stock trailer with 7 full grown cows in it about 150 miles with a 1/2 ton Chev. He didn't hesitate at all. The load had to be well over 10k.
SO--it can be done--Just ask your self--Is it safe? Is it legal?
The simple fact that one is asking a question makes me think he already new the answer in his gut.

BigT

I got airbags on my F-350 as well.

hahahaha, your just a walking book of knowledge aren't you. The hemi actually is an awesome motor with a few minor things done to it.

I did an edge evolution chip, afe stage 2 CAI and exhaust and I'm running about 420hp and 510 ft lbs of torque. That thing flat out pulls
ok thats almost 2k worth of stuff

Is that dyno verified, or are you adding up magazine #s? ;)

im guessing mag numbers. if there comming out with a 0 on the end of both its mag numbers... im guessing actual hp is about 370 and about 420 torque...

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
Haha, seems the overall topic of the thread has overrode my question of helper springs vs. airbags on a 1/2 ton pickup :rolleyes:

Any more opinions?

I have air bags on my Titan, at 20 below the plastic tube and brass fittings the firestone airbags come with seem to leak faster, thats the only problem I have had with mine, i am going to put a compressor on it so thats not an issue. I would suggest air bags, because you can always adjust them to suit your load you are carrying. When carrying something heavy my truck would sit flat not sag, I use the airbags because I would constantly have people flashing their brights at me all winter long, even though my brights were not on.

R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Damn..I gotta figure out what I'm doin wrong. I'm probably just driving to fast.

If I keep it to 65 I can get around 20-21 with a sled in the bed.

Looks like airbags are the favorite around here, as I have hear nobody mention much use of helper springs:rolleyes:

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
No you can't do anything with a 1/2 ton....I tried to put some mountain bikes in the back of mine and the frame bent. Also tried to tow the tent trailer that my neighbor usually tows with his Civic, and it sent the pistons right through the hood.

Nuff said--look at his sign--he's drunk!

BigT

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
I got airbags on my F-350 as well.

I have them also on my D3500. Not to help carry the load though. You can not adjust the headlights on a 06 Dodge so I use the air bags to aim the headlights.

1/2 Tons have there purpose--I totally agree. Often times the fuel economy is better. They ride smoother when empty. They cost less (most of the time), they are often less expensive to maintain (than a diesel)---and the list goes on.
However, they don't make the best tow rigs. There are better options for the types of weights we are talking about.
I know a guy that tows his 25' Bayliner with his CJ7. He simply slid the axles forward on the trailer so that the tongue weight was not too heavy for the CJ. So, the Jeep tows fine (in his opinion) except for when the Bayliner drags his CJ backward down the ramp. When he tries to pull the boat out of the water he has to use 4 wheel drive. Does that make it OK to tow. NOT

My D3500 weighs close to 8000#. My tow rig is heavier than my trailer in most cases. The trailer does not push me around.

I am not against 1/2 ton tow rigs. I just don't think they should be towing 4 place enclosed trailers, loaded, in the hills, in snow and ice. Thats all!! There are better options!!:beer;:beer;

BigT

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I have them also on my D3500. Not to help carry the load though. You can not adjust the headlights on a 06 Dodge so I use the air bags to aim the headlights.

1/2 Tons have there purpose--I totally agree. Often times the fuel economy is better. They ride smoother when empty. They cost less (most of the time), they are often less expensive to maintain (than a diesel)---and the list goes on.
However, they don't make the best tow rigs. There are better options for the types of weights we are talking about.
I know a guy that tows his 25' Bayliner with his CJ7. He simply slid the axles forward on the trailer so that the tongue weight was not too heavy for the CJ. So, the Jeep tows fine (in his opinion) except for when the Bayliner drags his CJ backward down the ramp. When he tries to pull the boat out of the water he has to use 4 wheel drive. Does that make it OK to tow. NOT

My D3500 weighs close to 8000#. My tow rig is heavier than my trailer in most cases. The trailer does not push me around.

I am not against 1/2 ton tow rigs. I just don't think they should be towing 4 place enclosed trailers, loaded, in the hills, in snow and ice. Thats all!! There are better options!!:beer;:beer;

BigT

Exactly!!!

D
Nov 26, 2007
normal_hitch1.jpeg

normal_hitch2.jpeg

normal_hitch3.jpeg

The block of wood under the tailgate is a nice touch. :eek:

A

ak ryda

Nov 26, 2007
I rode in a new Tundra Crew Max this winter that was pulling a 4 place enclosed with 4 sleds. It pulled it like it wasnt there.

Look at the HP, Tq, and tow numbers of the newer half tons along with increased tire, brake, stability control, and transmission technologies. They can tow a 4 place enclosed. Obviously a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel will do a better job but you cant honestly say it will be unsafe. And if you are in an unsafe situation, it wont be much safer if you are driving a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Just wondering but arent the brakes on your trailer supposed to be what stops your trailer?The new f-150 have some sort of antitrailer sway technology that brakes one side of your truck or the other to stop trailer sway.I think alot has to do with your hitch weight and where the axles are on your trailer.My 27ft has never swayed on me, but I did have a 2 place open trailer that almost put me in the ditch on an icey road.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I rode in a new Tundra Crew Max this winter that was pulling a 4 place enclosed with 4 sleds. It pulled it like it wasnt there.

Look at the HP, Tq, and tow numbers of the newer half tons along with increased tire, brake, stability control, and transmission technologies. They can tow a 4 place enclosed. Obviously a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel will do a better job but you cant honestly say it will be unsafe. And if you are in an unsafe situation, it wont be much safer if you are driving a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Exactly, we are talking about trucks that are more well equipped and safer for the task than many 3/4 and 1-tons from only a few years ago....

R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
normal_hitch1.jpeg

normal_hitch2.jpeg

normal_hitch3.jpeg

The block of wood under the tailgate is a nice touch. :eek:

Still not seeing the problem here ;) Gotta give em credit tho, awfully creative, and yeah that setup would be nothing without the nice block of wood supporting the whole setup, along with the chains!

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
he clearly put plenty of thought into the hitch design....but....maybe forgot to think about other issues... rofl hey, gets the job done tho eh!

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
Maybe we should all just get semi's and be done with it....why fukk around??

got 3 of em

but i would be hauling all sorts of extra crap just to get the weight i would need on the drivers.:D

plus you had better like chaining up:beer;:beer;

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Just because the truck can get the trailer going, doesn't mean it has ANY place towing it. A 1 ton could get a 40k trailer moving, but how safe do you think that is? A 1500 has no place towing a 4 place enclosed in the mountains in the winter, period. I don't care how much power or braking you have. A 3/4 and 1 ton simply weight more, stiffer suspension, heavier frame, etc to make them more capable to tow the trailer. Yes my Dodge 3500 has things to keep the rear from sagging, but they are not used to try and increase my tow ratings. Just because your under what the vehicle ratings mean doesn't mean ANYTHING either, a 10k open vs and 10k enclosed trailer is two different games, a 5k enclosed can be more to tow then a 10k open, easiy.

Do this test to see if you should tow your trailer, get in a dead road at 60 MPH without trailer brakes see how fast your 1500 can stop a 10k trailer, then decide how you'll feel if you have no brakes and theres a red light in front of you. I can tell you right now a 3500 can almost stop 10k as fast as the trailer brakes can, while a 1500 would take 4 or 5 times the usual stoping distance, and trailer brakes DO fail.

BTW didn't you guys hear about the guy with the Durango pulling like a 35" trailer and the wind pushing them into a oncoming semi, if you tow a huge enclosed trailer with a 1500, you ARE taking the same risk, and the winter is even worse.

Premium Features