• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who Uses A 1/2 Ton?

S

Snow Fox

I have a 1/2 ton Dodge with the off road package (beefier suspension and shocks with 4:10 gears). It pulls everything that I need to pull...............

Let me guess, the next thing on this site will be owning a half ton will be like wearing a modular helmet......all this insecurity must be because of other issues.:eek:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Kind of hard to ride the Ranger and 4 wheelers on the snow... I prefer the sleds....

BUT, I did pull a 3 place enclosed with three sleds and gear from SLC to Labarge, the sisters are always nasty.... again NO problem.

Kong, you sound like one of those guys who believes just because you go four wheel drive you can still drive 60 on ice covered roads? .... simple truth is that just means you have 4 tires spinning on the ice...

Again, I agree a 3/4 ton diesel will pull a four place with much more ease than a 1/2 ton... BUT the new 1/2 tons will handle the task just fine if you are willing to slow down just a bit and get the correct gear for your truck....

That's all good & fine, as long as your slowing down doesn't come at the expense of other motorists.

In other words, you guys putzing along simply because your tow vehicles arent capable of safely towing at speeds that blend in with traffic are a huge annoyance to other motorists.:mad:

N
Nov 26, 2007
That's all good & fine, as long as your slowing down doesn't come at the expense of other motorists.

In other words, you guys putzing along simply because your tow vehicles arent capable of safely towing at speeds that blend in with traffic are a huge annoyance to other motorists.:mad:

LOL You obviously have never seen me drive! WTF is up with all the BS on this site???.... I have seen far MORE 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles pulling trailers slower than the posted speed limit than 1/2 tons.... When I mentioned slowing down I was talking about driving on snow/ice covered roads....Please feel free to share what you drive so I can make it a point to get in front of you and slow down just so I can live up to the annoyance persona you have dreamt up..... :rolleyes:

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
I used a 1/2 ton for the past 8 years and it worked good. The 3/4 ton definitely handles the load better; but it also has a bigger motor and transmission.

B
Nov 27, 2007
We run a Ford Expedition with factory air bags pulling a Triton all aluminum trailer with 24’ straight wall, electric brakes on both axles and an electronic brake controller. I have no issues at all with this setup. We ride most every weekend and pull an average of a 1000kms a trip.
On snow and ice it’s all about traction, good tires, studs and/or chains. A 4X4 will get you going on ice, but it will not get you stopped any quicker on ice than anything else.
I also do not buy the having a bigger vehicle is being safer for pulling a trailer in the winter, having driven by lots of tractor trailers laying over in the ditch, jack knifed or sitting stuck half way up a hill. For my self the worst thing about pulling in the winter is the other drivers on the highway not driving to the weather conditions, whether they are going to fast or to slow.
Personally I cannot wait for the day when my family is grown up and I no longer have to pull a trailer, a truck with a sled deck would be so much nicer.
Anyway another pet peeve of mine is the guys whom drive their big rigs up the unplowed forest service roads with a good base when they could just as easily park with every one else on the side of the plowed road and ride their sleds up.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
LOL You obviously have never seen me drive! WTF is up with all the BS on this site???.... I have seen far MORE 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles pulling trailers slower than the posted speed limit than 1/2 tons.... When I mentioned slowing down I was talking about driving on snow/ice covered roads....Please feel free to share what you drive so I can make it a point to get in front of you and slow down just so I can live up to the annoyance persona you have dreamt up..... :rolleyes:

that's so nice

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
Holy Crap.

just a suggestion here...I custom stud my own tires...and while I know alot of states dont allow studs..if you can use them..you should..stock studded tires normally run about 100 studs per tire..we find that putting 300 + adds lots of control..I run 650 in each truck tire ..as well as 200 in each trailer tire on my 4 place...I also run trailer brakes on both axles...even on the slickest of days it handles about the same as on rainy pavement.....towing with a half ton wouldnt be a problem...

You should change your name to Stud.
I wish you lived closer I would have you build me a set of studded tires.
I would never have to use chains again.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
We run a Ford Expedition with factory air bags pulling a Triton all aluminum trailer with 24’ straight wall, electric brakes on both axles and an electronic brake controller. I have no issues at all with this setup. We ride most every weekend and pull an average of a 1000kms a trip.
On snow and ice it’s all about traction, good tires, studs and/or chains. A 4X4 will get you going on ice, but it will not get you stopped any quicker on ice than anything else.
I also do not buy the having a bigger vehicle is being safer for pulling a trailer in the winter, having driven by lots of tractor trailers laying over in the ditch, jack knifed or sitting stuck half way up a hill. For my self the worst thing about pulling in the winter is the other drivers on the highway not driving to the weather conditions, whether they are going to fast or to slow.
Personally I cannot wait for the day when my family is grown up and I no longer have to pull a trailer, a truck with a sled deck would be so much nicer.
Anyway another pet peeve of mine is the guys whom drive their big rigs up the unplowed forest service roads with a good base when they could just as easily park with every one else on the side of the plowed road and ride their sleds up.

X2

Also i wonder if we will see a move toward less enclosed trailers in the future. All of us have been spoiled by low gas prices in the past and will people who had enclosed trailers as just a luxury switch to open to save gas and downsize their vehicles.

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
I pull a 18foot 3 place enclosed with my 07 tundra. All loaded up the trailer is around 5200 pounds with 3 sleds. I ride Revelstoke and Sicamous all the time and the roads are always snow covered and icy. I never have problems and don't hold traffic up either. For the average snowmobiler a 3/4 ton is overkill.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
Off subject a bit but I have been driving my previous 1 ton at work (shop truck) and then of course I drive my 1/2 ton as a daily driver. I can honestly say I'm very satisfied with my choice to go away from the 3/4 and 1 ton segment. The ride, the less wind noise, the cheaper fuel, the cheaper cost of pretty much everything and who really is thinking of trade in? When you want to buy something you will find a way of buying it no matter what. Just the American way!

1/2 ton's will be fine, especially since the latest generation of 1/2 tons pull what the early 2000's and older pulled. The weight I can still understand and the beefyness but all other things taken into play, the way to go right now is the 1/2er route!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Overall, the 1/2 ton is definatley gonna cost you less, especially if it's your daily driver ... I used to get 17@75 mph, 19@65mph with my 2000 5.3L Chevy .... I get about 15@65, 14@75 with my 2005 8.1L ... I'd get about 14 around town with the 1/2 ton, I get 8 or 9 with the 3/4 ton :(

But, towing the exact same trailer, I got 9-10 mpg with the 5.3L and 9-10mpg with the 8.1L ... and it's not even funny how much better the 2500HD with that 8.1L pulls my trailer ... everything from suspension to brakes, everything .... Pulling my dad's 24' Charmac, I still get 9 mpg with that trailer too and it's bigger and heavier than my 16' Mirage.

My 1/2 ton pulled my little enclosed well enough, but it had 150,000 miles on it and was costing me more to repair on average every month the last 6 months I owned it than the payment on the 05' 3/4 ton I bought is ... The main reason I went with the 3/4 ton is I posted some questions on a few various sites, and I couldn't tell that there was any appreciable difference in fuel economy on the highway or towing between the 6.0L and the 8.1L motor, hence my decision to try and find an 8.1L .... My dad's 2008 6.0L 1/2 ton pulls his 24' Charmac just fine, pretty well actually ... but towing, he only gets about 10 mpg with it .... So I kinda figured hell, I have a truck to primarily haul my toys, even though it's also my daily driver ... if I'm not really saving that much more on gas buying the 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton with the 6.0L - at least when I'm towing - I might as well just get the 8.1L ... I have a company truck I drive for work and don't pay for gas on, so mostly during the week I drive that, then haul toys on the weekends, so that also played a role in my decision to get the bigger more expensive 3/4 ton ...

Sucks on trips that are unloaded, but I sure do like it pulling the trailer ... but, I'm also paying a price for it when I'm not towing anything, that much is certain. There's pros and cos to both .... if it's worth it to ya to feel more comfy towing I guess buy the bigger truck, but it's gonna cost you probably on average a few hundred more a month than the smaller one will.

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
it's funny how in the mid 90's everyone seemed to be fine towing witha half ton. But now unless you have a 1 ton, diesel you can't haul a box of popcorn

You're absolutely right. I have a F150 company truck that hauls the sled trailer, ski-boat, 6,000# Bobcat on a tag trailer, etc. Do I prefer to pull with my Dodge 2500 Cummins Mega Cab, or my Duramax???? Abso effin lutely!!
But, I had a '01 Ram 1500 Off Road, 4.10 gears, pulled all of the above with ease, and safely. Just had to slow down going up hills and fuel mileage was abysmal. Prior to that, I tugged all kinds of trailers around with Chevy, Ford, Dodge 1500's. Helper springs make a huge difference, just like trailer brakes and pulling your head out of your @ss before hooking up a big trailer and trying to go 80mph down the highway.
Everyone, myself included has big bad 1 ton diesels now because they're cool, easy to mod (FAST!), and happen to yield better fuel economy while pulling our trailers easier than the 1/2 tons we all used to use. (Oh, and fueal was cheaper for the diesels too, until recently:mad:)
It's a luxury, just like having a sled. If you can afford it...:cool:, if not, don't get your panties in a wad!

B
Nov 27, 2007
We run a Ford Expedition

I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what your sorry about, but if this is a jab at running a Ford, I'm not really brand loyal. At the time we bought, a new Suburban with similar options was + $20,000 over the cost of a the Ford. We actually looked seriously at one, LTZ a demo with 60000 km on it. But we opted for the brand new Ford with zero km's on it for less than the used LTZ.

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
Off subject a bit but I have been driving my previous 1 ton at work (shop truck) and then of course I drive my 1/2 ton as a daily driver. I can honestly say I'm very satisfied with my choice to go away from the 3/4 and 1 ton segment. The ride, the less wind noise, the cheaper fuel, the cheaper cost of pretty much everything and who really is thinking of trade in? When you want to buy something you will find a way of buying it no matter what. Just the American way!

1/2 ton's will be fine, especially since the latest generation of 1/2 tons pull what the early 2000's and older pulled. The weight I can still understand and the beefyness but all other things taken into play, the way to go right now is the 1/2er route!

I definitly miss the drivability of my Titan. It was so smooth quiet (even with AT's) and hauled butt. When I'm pulling heavy I love my new diesel, but the rest of the time I miss the 1/2. I wanted to get another vehicle in a year or so as a daily driver and park the Diesel which is the main reason I went to the big D, longevity. But with business and everything doubt it.

R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Was going to post a new thread but saw this and figured my topic fit good enough under here.

I have an 03 Chevy 1/2 ton, not an option at this point to upgrade trucks, but really want to beef up the suspension for towing. Hear good things about airbags but the -40F weather in AK bothers me a little. I have a two place trailer that I two either 3 4-Wheelers on and 1 in the bed or two sleds and 1 in the bed. I'm tired of my truck squatting and headlights pointing to the sky.

Looking for a firing range of opinions on helper springs vs. airbags. Helper springs seem cheaper and zero maintenance(and I like that). I would think I only need around a 1200-1500lb helper spring, which is around $100 compared to almost $300 for bags.

Thoughts?
Thanks

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Never have owned a 1/2 ton and never will... completely useless by my standards. Why struggle around with a 1/2 ton when a 3/4 ton will do the same job effortlessly?

Last edited:

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
Was going to post a new thread but saw this and figured my topic fit good enough under here.

I have an 03 Chevy 1/2 ton, not an option at this point to upgrade trucks, but really want to beef up the suspension for towing. Hear good things about airbags but the -40F weather in AK bothers me a little. I have a two place trailer that I two either 3 4-Wheelers on and 1 in the bed or two sleds and 1 in the bed. I'm tired of my truck squatting and headlights pointing to the sky.

Looking for a firing range of opinions on helper springs vs. airbags. Helper springs seem cheaper and zero maintenance(and I like that). I would think I only need around a 1200-1500lb helper spring, which is around $100 compared to almost $300 for bags.

Thoughts?
Thanks

I know the air bags are more and there is a little maintence involved, but with helper springs(depending on what shape your existing springs are in) they will work good for awhile then take the shape of your old springs in probably less than a year, depending on how often you put them on load, unless you get them resprung or put new leafs in there too. the nice thing about the air bags is that your springs are there basically to keep the axle in place when under load, and once you find the right air pressure empty it will be a smoother ride when accompanied by the springs.

now they also have a new load leveler out that is basically a rubber bushing
that goes in the same place as the air bags. it's a lot cheaper and still does a good job. because you only use them when you there is enough weight to bring the truck down on to em. might be something else for you to consider too.

and as for the extreme cold the only problem you would run across is water in the air system. and you might have to add some more air when its that cold.

Last edited:
D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
You could just go to a suitable trailer size and keep the 1/2 ton. I like the 1/2 ton since I get over 20 mpg unloaded on the highway, but you can still tow when you have too. This little Triton weighs 900 lbs, has a fold-down back door, and trailer brakes. Fits two long-track sleds no problem.

Edit: no, there's no heater, tv, sauna, jet-tub, or pizza oven.....but it beats having dirty sleds.

IMG_1544 (Medium).jpg

Premium Features