• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who Uses A 1/2 Ton?

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
You could just go to a suitable trailer size and keep the 1/2 ton. I like the 1/2 ton since I get over 20 mpg unloaded on the highway, but you can still tow when you have too. This little Triton weighs 900 lbs, has a fold-down back door, and trailer brakes. Fits two long-track sleds no problem.

Edit: no, there's no heater, tv, sauna, jet-tub, or pizza oven.....but it beats having dirty sleds.

Whats the secret to getting over 20 MPG on the highway? I've owned two GM 1500's much like yours and I never saw mileage like that on the highway. One was a 5.7 and one a 5.3. My Tahoe is a 5.3 and before the lift the best I could do was 17mpg. It now gets 12-13 on the highway. Anyone want to buy it? Its on is way out to make room for a dodge 2500!!!

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
Whats the secret to getting over 20 MPG on the highway? I've owned two GM 1500's much like yours and I never saw mileage like that on the highway. One was a 5.7 and one a 5.3. My Tahoe is a 5.3 and before the lift the best I could do was 17mpg. It now gets 12-13 on the highway. Anyone want to buy it? Its on is way out to make room for a dodge 2500!!!

Dunno...its bone stock 2006 with a 5.3. I do a ton of highway driving so I've tracked the mileage since new. It's gotten better and better as it gets some miles on it. The last trip to BC, I put on 1500 km and got 12 l/100km....that's 19.6 mpg (US) or 23.5 mpg (Imp)....that's just what she gets. Towing the holiday trailer she's real bad though.....down to 8 or 9.....so I sold the holiday trailer.

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
i run a half ton chevy and 4 place open is fine drops moilage alot but ther would be no way id pull an enclosed farther than 2 blocks here in the flats its ok towing but when i hit the mts its a diffrent story

R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
I know the air bags are more and there is a little maintence involved, but with helper springs(depending on what shape your existing springs are in) they will work good for awhile then take the shape of your old springs in probably less than a year, depending on how often you put them on load, unless you get them resprung or put new leafs in there too. the nice thing about the air bags is that your springs are there basically to keep the axle in place when under load, and once you find the right air pressure empty it will be a smoother ride when accompanied by the springs.

now they also have a new load leveler out that is basically a rubber bushing
that goes in the same place as the air bags. it's a lot cheaper and still does a good job. because you only use them when you there is enough weight to bring the truck down on to em. might be something else for you to consider too.

and as for the extreme cold the only problem you would run across is water in the air system. and you might have to add some more air when its that cold.

True. Didn't think much about the sag in the springs over time.
Only plan to have the truck for another 2 years and just need something to get me by so I'm not dragging the back end when I tow. Again, upgrading to a 3/4 ton is not option right now, although in two years, it will be :D

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
FWIW, I tow a 2 place enclosed, tandem axle, elec brakes (14' i beleive) with a 98 5.7l 1/2 ton.

I feel like this trailer works/tows better than the aluminum floe single axle with protector top.

Granted, its heavier, so I'm slowed down on the steep pulls, but the brakes and twin axles make it feel very stable and i feel a lot less 'wag and sway' from the bigger trailer.
And it doesn't break loose/slide around the switch backs up Berthoud like my single axle tended too in slick conditions (when in a hurry). ><

Only issue w/ my towing rig is lack of power over 7k feet...

I've driven a "loaded" 4 place enclosed with 1/2 ton tahoe 5.7l and accross the flats, it'll be fine.. in the twistys, steep and snowy and wind.. slow it down and let 'er grunt in 2nd if u have to. the trailer WILL drive you otherwise.. anyone else hate WY wind as much as I do? haha

And as one guy stated, buzzing a gasser KILLS gas milage quickly.. The difference between 75-80 and ~65 is a huge difference on mpg. I'll get ~10-12 if i'm being nice. ~7-8 if I'm on the clock..or trying to make good time.

I've been stuck wanting to go T Deisel to make the trip shorter (faster)...but not sure it will be the most $ concious decision after whats happend to oil costs.

Oh, and get a tranny temp guage and get a feel for the sound and/or feel of torque converter lock/unlocking.. Exhaust tone or a very close eye on the tach work..I find listening to work best for my truck. Could be the difference in getting to the snow or home on time. :p

Last edited:
J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I drive an 07 1/2 ton hemi with lots of mods and airbags and it does just fine

Dodge is giving $9K factory rebate on the 1/2 ton and my local dealer is doing another $5K cash back. Brand new, decked out is under 25K. If this keeps on I may be driving a new 08 hemi 1/2 ton soon.

H
Nov 21, 2007
MN
I used to pull a 6 place open trailer with an 05 Ram 1500 Hemi. It would pull just fine, even on icy roads. (I-90 from Minnesota to Wyoming tends to get slippery) I had a Timbren suspension kit which helped a great deal with sway and sag. However, I never felt completely comfortable with the 1500 so I upgraded to a 2500 Cummins. I decided that rather than trying to put mods on my 1500 to make it feel as stable as a 2500 does on the highway, I might as well just have the 2500.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I have a '99 Ram 1500, 5.9L 4x4... Tows a two-horse trailer pretty good during the summer... wintertime I just run my sled into the bed (trying not to go through the back window) and haul it up the mountain that way :face-icon-small-con

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
I had to make this decision in October, albeit for small travel trailer. It was a tough decision to decide whether to mod my 01 Chevy 1/2 ton or move to 3/4ton. Once the wife gave me the okay to purchase new, it was an easy decision.

I guess one question I had that prompted my decision is although the 1/2 ton may be able to pull the load, will it decrease the longevity of the truck?

I
Nov 26, 2007
Any more opinions?

If your truck is squatting you've either got too much tongue weight or a yammi in the bed, buy a 3 or 4 place trailer, or redistribute the weight on your 2 place (move the sleds back...turn one around, etc).

I have an 04 1500 GMC and tow an open 4 place (steel) with 4 sleds/4 guys no problem. It'll hold 60MPH on the hills between here and nenana but it does shift (my dads duramax doesn't).

I do put the sleds as far back on the trailer as possible to keep the tongue weight down, but the truck still rides level.

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
dont get a hemi, they BlOW! i dont know if theres any other motor that they will put in it but if at all possible dont get the hemi

hahahaha, your just a walking book of knowledge aren't you. The hemi actually is an awesome motor with a few minor things done to it.

I did an edge evolution chip, afe stage 2 CAI and exhaust and I'm running about 420hp and 510 ft lbs of torque. That thing flat out pulls

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I pulled a 27ft charmac enclosed trailer with my 02 supercrew with airbags for 4 years.Did just fine.Thought the fuel economy was pretty bad.Now my new superduty seems to get the same crappy MPG's as it did towing.Mabye a bit better but not double or anything.Speed limit on roads going to Revy are like 80km or 90km most of the time anyways and usually ice covered with lots of traffick so needing to go 130 wasnt an issue.We always made good time and never had issues with trailer weight etc like you naysayers.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
it's funny how in the mid 90's everyone seemed to be fine towing witha half ton. But now unless you have a 1 ton, diesel you can't haul a box of popcorn

Kinda like sleds, huh. Used to be if you had 600 cc and a 136 track you could have some fun sledding, now if you do not have at least 800 or 1000cc, 151 track and a turbo you better stay home.

D
Nov 26, 2007

I have a 2005 GMC quad cab with the 5.3, I get 19.5 on the freeway if I'm careful with it.

Premium Features