• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who Uses A 1/2 Ton?

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
This 1/2 ton stuff is all fine and dandy on dry roads or flatland country. Its the pure ice, mountainous areas and narrow roads combined that tip the scales.

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
Don't have time to post all the details but unless you are on really good plowed roads all the time I wouldn't do it. I did it with a Titan 9500# tow rating with load levelr and sway bar (pain to hook up in a storm) BTW they recommend you take off the sway bar and load leveler on rough roads, how the %^&* are you supposed to do that???

Anyway pulled a 27' Wells Cargo enclosed. Got rid of it before the season was over. Especially since I have to tow up FS roads turn around etc. Truck would do it, but the rig pushed it. Also the Titan had all kinds of traction control/anti skid/ESP/electronic locker. This stuff saved my butt.

Went to a two place enclosed Pace and was ok, but bought a new Dodge 2500 diesel and no more problems.

BTW your payload is only maybe 1600 at most and after gas, tongue weight, people, and gear you get very very close.

You can do two place (and I still used sway bar and load leveler)

Good luck.

(maybe all aluminum??? but I have no experience with the 4plc alum)

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
who in there right mind honestly thinks that you cant pull a 4 place enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton. my buddies 24' haulmark with sleds weighs maybe 6500lbs with gear in it and my ram 1500 has a tow rating of 8700lbs. thats a full ton over the weight of the trailer. i've pulled that trailer all over MN, ND, SD ,WY, MT, CO. Yeah you might not be able to go 75+ all the time on every hiway but just because you can't go 100% of the speed limit doesn't mean it isn't safe.

Slow down and take it easy that 1/2 ton will do just fine

on the other hand I did buy a ram 3500 diesel last year and it does pull it like its not even there but its way more truck than you need for a sled trailer.

oh and BTW get a race car style trailer not a true snowmobile trailer they sit lower and pull much nicer behind a 1/2 ton

Long Gone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Twin Falls, Idaho
The majority of you have confirmed what I had already thought. I will need to upgrade to a bigger truck before I can get an enclosed. I understand that the flatlanders can and will use the smaller truck and be fine, but I travel up the ugly roads to my riding and typically the roads are always slick. Thanks for the response.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I do a bunch of towing for work and for play. For work the trucks are all 1 ton and bigger. My personal vehicle is 1/2 ton. I have not had a need for a /3/4 or 1 ton and then I bought a larger dump trailer. I used my half ton mostly stock for a minute but I quickly purchased rear air suspension and trailer brakes. Other than short on power(very occasionally), the half ton pulls fine. Oh, I got an edge programmer to help with the sloppy shifting and some exhaust for some noise.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
1/2 ton will do it if set up properly & and a slower rate of speed.

This is fine, but have the courtesy to stop & pull over so you don't hold the rest of us up behind that little half ton!

O
Feb 17, 2003
Waverly, IA
I have pulled a 4 place open out to laramie and back twice with my 04 gmc 5.3L. We've got a dump box and car trailer that it pulls in the summer. Upgraded to airbags in the rear to help with the ride. Got CIA, hypertech, and exhaust.

Truck does fine on power, thing is those 5.3L aren't tourqe monsters down low so you have to let them wind up. I ran 80-85 out to the snowys, fully loaded with gear/sleds/people with the cruise set and would only drop 6-8mph on mountian passes. When i ran slower speeds it had more of a problem pulling passes and the tranny would try to find 2nd gear if you got below 65.

With trailer brakes and cautious driving it can be done safely. My only complaint is the fuel economy, got 6-7mpg running about 3600rpm all the way. If i went to an enclosed trailer i would have a stabelizing hitch for sure.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
Maybe look at it this way. You won't need to upgrade your truck, simply upgrade the trailer (cheaper then a truck) to an all aluminum enclosed and like one said get the race car style which has a much lower deck, tows a lot better and you can see around it which means it's frontal area for drag is a lot lower. The 7.5' wide staggered sled trailers are super nice, they are a little longer but boy they look sweet, haul nice and it's not some big crap wagon!

I wouldn't hesitate pulling a 4 place enclosed with my 1/2 ton and it being set up correctly. If I did it a lot I would put air bags on the truck just so it sits level and handles the weight better. When everything is set up correctly it can be done safely. A bit slower of course but who needs to pull a trailer across the mountains at 80? That right there is just plain stupid so the speed factor is a non issue in my book.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
The majority of you have confirmed what I had already thought. I will need to upgrade to a bigger truck before I can get an enclosed. I understand that the flatlanders can and will use the smaller truck and be fine, but I travel up the ugly roads to my riding and typically the roads are always slick. Thanks for the response.

The people saying it can't be done are the ones with 1-tons that don't put chains on. Just put your chains on the vehicle and trailer and you will be fine... Seems people would rather buy a larger vehicle than to simply chain up more often. Must be that di*cks shrink when you have to put chains on a vehicle?:p

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

Well, I'm not saying it can't be done ... I'm just saying that in my opinion, pulling a 4-place enclosed with a half-ton can get pretty hairy ... but then again, it can with a 3/4 ton too, but a 3/4 ton really is a better choice.

Look at it this way: How often are you actually going to pull your trailer? Probably the biggest reason I upgraded to a 3/4 ton is because I was literally towing my trailer every single weekend, and I was making long trips with it. If all I was ever gonna do was make a 30 minute drive up the mountain here locally with that trailer, I wouldn't have bought the 3/4 ton ... It was mainly for long trips and being comfortable on them ...

Truthfully if I didn't tow as much as I did I wouldn't have bought teh 3/4 ton ... if I was just towing occasionally and not makign real long trips,t he 1/2 ton would have been fine.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I'm guessing we'll see more & more 1/2 tons towing.
Obviously, a 3/4 ton will be better suited for the job, but gas prices will force
many of us to realize that owning a 3/4 ton is a luxury we can no longer afford.
Particularly, those of us who have had a 3/4 simply because of a couple of trips per year.

I no longer run a 3/4 ton, it's a simple economic choice.
Luckily I have buddies with trucks.
But if I am towing with my 1/2 ton, and find myself holding up traffic, I will stop & let people by.

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
most 4 place enclosed trailers have a gvw of 7,000 lbs.any half ton should handle it fine with a well setup brake controller.I did this for many years with no problems.I finally broke down and bought a diesel and it works much better.to each his own....

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
who in there right mind honestly thinks that you cant pull a 4 place enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton. my buddies 24' haulmark with sleds weighs maybe 6500lbs with gear in it and my ram 1500 has a tow rating of 8700lbs. thats a full ton over the weight of the trailer. i've pulled that trailer all over MN, ND, SD ,WY, MT, CO. Yeah you might not be able to go 75+ all the time on every hiway but just because you can't go 100% of the speed limit doesn't mean it isn't safe.

Slow down and take it easy that 1/2 ton will do just fine

On the other hand I did buy a ram 3500 diesel last year and it does pull it like its not even there but its way more truck than you need for a sled trailer.

oh and BTW get a race car style trailer not a true snowmobile trailer they sit lower and pull much nicer behind a 1/2 ton

Disclaimer: Like I said earlier an aluminum 4 place may cahnge the whole discussion. although, they cost a lot more.

To the quoted poster:

First of all the discussion was NOT "Cannot pull" It was a discussion of pros and cons of pulling.

And it wasn't about how fast you can go.

And plenty of people in their "right" minds may agree with you or not.

And there is a size truck between you're 3500 and a 1500.

So... have you been pulling a 4 place maybe 27' on snow and ice in the mountains with a 1500? How about up FS roads unplowed? In the mountains above 9000' week after week go weather or bad????

Most people said ok on open roads etc, and no problem non-winter. I double pulled a 27' travel trailer with a 12' trailer with an ATV on it and gear. Then put two dirt bikes, 4000 watt Honda in the bed... and two people in cab with gear with a... Nissan Titan for 3 years+. Over two 10,000' passes from Pagosa Springs, Co to Silverton Colorado. and over Wolf Creek pass to points north. No problem at all.

But in deep winter cold, ice, snow, slush, unplowed roads my 27' snowmobile trailer loaded up was a hand full at times.

Thats my honest opinion and am not putting down 1/2 tons, the recent changes to 1/2 tons are amazing. Just sold mine, it was a hot rod and I loved it. But now I need more payload and a bit more towing capacity.

The poster just asked experiences and opinion. So don't blow a gasket.

The price between a new 1/2 ton and a new 3/4 with a gas engine is so close that is shouldn't be a choice issue for most.

BTW I sold my GMC 3500 to buy the Titan so I know what they will do also and we could start another argument on the use of a dually in the ice and snow.
Oh yeah, what's the Ram payload. Around 1500# right? (If you have the Hemi and 4wd)
With a 27' 4place you are still dealing with that. (look at my original post) If you want to put on load levers and anti sway and then risk tweaking your frame on rough 4wd roads... go for it. Oh yeah... wait... you're towing heavy with the 3500... Hmmm advising people to do something you're not???? :cool:

Last edited:
N
Nov 26, 2007
With the soaring diesel prices I got rid of the 2500 cummings and went with the 1/2 ton Tundra. Biggest concern at the time was how it would pull the 4 place enclosed. After much ribbing on here I am happy to say it pulls the trailer just fine. We took the 27ft trailer with 4 - 4 wheelers, a Polaris Ranger and camping gear to the Uinta's for the weekend. Instead of going 70 over Parley's, I was only able to do 60. I can live with that. Biggest concern was getting everything stopped. Added a good break controller and everything stops just fine now.

Now, that being said, I have to admit I did feel more at easy pulling that same load with the 3/4 ton. Not that the Tundra feels unsafe or anything, just the law of bigness doing it's thing.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Disclaimer: Like I said earlier an aluminum 4 place may cahnge the whole discussion. although, they cost a lot more.

To the quoted poster:

First of all the discussion was NOT "Cannot pull" It was a discussion of pros and cons of pulling.

And it wasn't about how fast you can go.

And plenty of people in their "right" minds may agree with you or not.

And there is a size truck between you're 3500 and a 1500.

So... have you been pulling a 4 place maybe 27' on snow and ice in the mountains with a 1500? How about up FS roads unplowed? In the mountains above 9000' week after week go weather or bad????

Most people said ok on open roads etc, and no problem non-winter. I double pulled a 27' travel trailer with a 12' trailer with an ATV on it and gear. Then put two dirt bikes, 4000 watt Honda in the bed... and two people in cab with gear with a... Nissan Titan for 3 years+. Over two 10,000' passes from Pagosa Springs, Co to Silverton Colorado. and over Wolf Creek pass to points north. No problem at all.

But in deep winter cold, ice, snow, slush, unplowed roads my 27' snowmobile trailer loaded up was a hand full at times.

Thats my honest opinion and am not putting down 1/2 tons, the recent changes to 1/2 tons are amazing. Just sold mine, it was a hot rod and I loved it. But now I need more payload and a bit more towing capacity.

The poster just asked experiences and opinion. So don't blow a gasket.

The price between a new 1/2 ton and a new 3/4 with a gas engine is so close that is shouldn't be a choice issue for most.

BTW I sold my GMC 3500 to buy the Titan so I know what they will do also and we could start another argument on the use of a dually in the ice and snow.
Oh yeah, what's the Ram payload. Around 1500# right? (If you have the Hemi and 4wd)
With a 27' 4place you are still dealing with that. (look at my original post) If you want to put on load levers and anti sway and then risk tweaking your frame on rough 4wd roads... go for it. Oh yeah... wait... you're towing heavy with the 3500... Hmmm advising people to do something you're not???? :cool:

Just to reply as I maybe didn't make this totally clear in my original post, but i bought a new ram 1500 in 03 and towed the 27 footer all over as far west as grand junction CO and yeah i would say absolutely it was more than enough truck to do the job. I just bought the 3500 cummins at the begining of last winter for work and started using it for the sleds as well. so 4 seasons of towing with the 1/2 ton. if the trailer is loaded correctly and your tires are good its no problem. someone else talked about a good brake controller and i totally agree with that no matter what the tonnage of the vehicle. and yes i've had hairy moments pulling trailers of all types, ( i own a small excavation company and tow trailers everyday) wet road dry roads you name it. I can remember one time in particular driving west of denver at about 2am during a snowstorm that had already dumped like 14 inches on the roads. just chained up and went about 40mph all the way to grand juction, yeah it was white knuckle but i dont think my 1 ton would've been any better, after all its just the tires that connect you to the road no matter what vehicle your in.

IMO if a person is thinking of upgrading from a well equiped 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton its not worth it especially if trading a gas motor for another gas motor. what do you really gain, just the heavy suspension. why not save your money and just upgrade your 1/2 ton suspension to be equal to the 3/4 ton and you will probably be ahead of the game.

IMO if you get a race car style trailer your 1/2 ton will do it every time

And I would never give my opinion on doing something if I hadn't already done it myself.

Last edited:
K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
With the soaring diesel prices I got rid of the 2500 cummings and went with the 1/2 ton Tundra. Biggest concern at the time was how it would pull the 4 place enclosed. After much ribbing on here I am happy to say it pulls the trailer just fine. We took the 27ft trailer with 4 - 4 wheelers, a Polaris Ranger and camping gear to the Uinta's for the weekend. Instead of going 70 over Parley's, I was only able to do 60. I can live with that. Biggest concern was getting everything stopped. Added a good break controller and everything stops just fine now.

Now, that being said, I have to admit I did feel more at easy pulling that same load with the 3/4 ton. Not that the Tundra feels unsafe or anything, just the law of bigness doing it's thing.

Are you doing that on snow and ice etc??

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO

I kinda did the same thing in 03. Got rid of my 1 ton GMC and went to Titan. Double towed etc. It was ok with that except for my 4 place in deep snow. It had the HP to tow it, but like the other guy said, white nuckle moments.

This winter which was the worst down here since 1970something.. I bought Cummins 2500 Diesel. Also I added a Yamaha Rhino to my toys so now am towing on the edge of my 1/2 ton rating and over the 1600# payload. Of course this unit gets 20-22mpg not towing so that helps a bit for everyday but still it is more expensive. Got a really good deal though.

Never had a Diesel before but really like it. Have had numerous 3/4 tons since late 60's.

Towing my 2 place enclosed and my friend's 4 place was cake this winter, even on terrible roads. Using Toyo Open Country AT's.

That new Tundra is really strong, but still have to watch the payload so I went up on the payload. I seriously thought about the Toyota but wasn't quite heavy and specd enough for my need this time.

I've got a picture of a cracked frame on a Tundra (which would happen on any 1/2) since the guy seriously overloaded it and put a number of extra leaves in the springs +air bag I think. I'll post it when I get time. My son just sent it to me a couple of days ago.

Good luck to all you haulers.

Last edited:

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
in all honesty I think i'm still ahead with the diesel whether i'm empty or loaded.

hemi ram w/$3.89 gas 17mpg empty= 22 cents a mile 10mpg loaded = 38 cents a mile

cummins ram w/ $4.49 diesel 20 mpg empty=22 cents a mile 16mpg loaded=28 cents a mile

oh wait i forgot to figure in that the cummins is like an extra 8k to buy, maybe they will come out with a hybrid diesel in the future.

Last edited:
N
Nov 26, 2007
Are you doing that on snow and ice etc??

Kind of hard to ride the Ranger and 4 wheelers on the snow... I prefer the sleds....

BUT, I did pull a 3 place enclosed with three sleds and gear from SLC to Labarge, the sisters are always nasty.... again NO problem.

Kong, you sound like one of those guys who believes just because you go four wheel drive you can still drive 60 on ice covered roads? .... simple truth is that just means you have 4 tires spinning on the ice...

Again, I agree a 3/4 ton diesel will pull a four place with much more ease than a 1/2 ton... BUT the new 1/2 tons will handle the task just fine if you are willing to slow down just a bit and get the correct gear for your truck....

Premium Features