• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who all have had their 800 blow?

Is it possible to remove the seals on the bearings and drill oil ports,I was a fan of skidoo till they used sealed bearings, if that dosen't work sue them.

Just found out that a bearing siezed on my 08' XP and caused the crank to twist. Putting a new gasket, crank and pistons. It has 549 miles on it.
Also had my 05' 1000 seize twice. First time at about 1100 miles the crank bearing went out and they ended up fixing the same motor instead of putting a short block. Mind you it was all on my dime because ski doo wouldn't help me out on the warranty stuff. I put maybe 30 miles on new motor and it blew up. Ski Doo did put a short block in but I had to put another $500 towards it. When they put these sleds out they are not ready for mass production, explains the 20 some updates the 08' XPs needed.
2001 Summit 800X never had any engine problems and was reliable.
1997 Summit 670 was also reliable and not many problems.

Just lost a piston today ,glorious riding conditions,two feet of fresh powder and me and riding buds had to burn up the day getting my POS off the mountain. Yes I was towed home by an Artic again. Good thing I ride with good guys on reliable Artic,Polaris and Yamaha snowmobiles !!!!

Just lost a piston today ,glorious riding conditions,two feet of fresh powder and me and riding buds had to burn up the day getting my POS off the mountain. Yes I was towed home by an Artic again. Good thing I ride with good guys on reliable Artic,Polaris and Yamaha snowmobiles !!!!
Not very helpful... what year and model sled? Some years are better than others as we know. How many miles? Did you have the infamous cracked piston skirt, or did you just lean it out too much or ingest some of that fresh powder? That will seize up most any piston. Doesn't reflect on Doo.

Not defending any brand, they all seem to have issues, and I know how annoyed I was when at 1200 miles my 02 ZX 800 dropped a skirt and cracked my crankcase... but it is fine now with 1700 miles on the engine with about 500 on Wiseco dual ring kits (just warm them up or you can cold-seize them).

05 800X Lost 1 Piston and took Cylinder with it

Had heard that model year had bad pistons and rings, but only replaced rings @ 1500 miles, so came as no real suprise when 1 piston went at 1900 miles, but took the cylinder with it. Went Wiseco double ring settup, but 600.00 lesson.

yes

2003 summit 800h0 blew with 3100 miles on it.........cranks went out ...but 1400 bucks i got a updated short block which consits of new crank ,rods,pistons rings jugs an d they have updates for the fix........i am riding the sled now for the second season.....and it rides great.

Lost my 07 Summit 800r at 1800 miles, cracked piston skirt, cracked the case. Ski-Doo warrantied with new updated shortblock. 400 miles or so on it so far, Have heard from others, replace stock pistons before 1500 miles. Caged bearings as well.

Wow, I get to respond twice to this thread. Nephew blew up yesterday again. At this time I don't think it's Doo's fault though. He said he was in the middle of a long nitrous assisted climb when it popped. I can't wait to see the carnage this time.

Could a lot of these problems be attributed to where the sleds are manufactured or how guys are riding or maintenance....?
I just bought an 04 800 and in talking with guys around here and my sled tech they all tell me these were one of the best motors around. I've talked to guys out in the hills that tell me they have had no issues whatsoever with their 800s and they love them. So far I love mine too (Knock on Wood) but this thread is scaring the $hit out of me!

Wow I almost bought a doo 800 kinda glad I didn't

Friends 02 summit 800-Seized solid on the trail ruined a day of riding
Friends 04 summit 800 blew(think it was the crank not sure tho), Junked it for $1500 and bought a M1000
Good luck with the M's around here (only herd of 1 m1000 go and it was just a wrist pin and the sled was also run HARD and on spray)

Wow I almost bought a doo 800 kinda glad I didn't

Friends 02 summit 800-Seized solid on the trail ruined a day of riding
Friends 04 summit 800 blew(think it was the crank not sure tho), Junked it for $1500 and bought a M1000
Good luck with the M's around here (only herd of 1 m1000 go and it was just a wrist pin and the sled was also run HARD and on spray)
I am done running Doos....Dino

Similar circumstance, great day, half way to the cabin, got towed home by an Arctic Cat.

I have an 07 800R that has the cast RAVE valve. Those cast valves break and then it's a $1,800 repair bill. I found out that BRP started replacing those cast valves in the late 08 production sleds. So if you don't know, you better pull the RAVE valves and find out if you have the old cast valves or not. I found out what BRP had done by reading it in the SnowTech magazine of all places!

P2180666 (Medium).JPG

Premium Features

Back