• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who all have had their 800 blow?

I sold my xrs to a buddy and it broke the pto crank counterweight on his first trip. It had around 1500 miles. I loved that sled but I can't say why.....its like a dysfunctional relationship, you know you are going to get beat up but can't help but going back (I bought an xp).

I am sure my 07 800X will let me down sooner or later, hopefully not but I will be suprised if it doesn't. Over 2000 miles now, factory engine.

But to the guys who keep thinking the 800 are a POS, they most definately are not. Yes they can fail, but so can any other model of engine, especially two strokes. There are far more engines that hold together than failures. I have no proof but most people would aggree.

Lost a piston skirt on friday & now the crank is no longer true.this motor had
aprox 3600km on it.Both piston have .014 clearance at the skirts. the motor is plain old wore out.With my 2002 zx i could only get 2000 km before it
would fug up(3 times), so i guess they have made some improvements:eek:
the problem is it's cheaper to buy a new motor than a new sled,seens as
the xrs already runs with most new sleds anyway:)

New to Doo

I recently went from Yamaha to Doo. I bought an 04 800 Rev with 2000 miles on it. Within 300 miles I've had to put a new topend on it (cracked cylinder and melted pistons). Now I have it in the shop for a crank seal. Hopefully the crank is good. :mad:

The Yamaha two smokes may not have had the performance, but they would run for ever.

o7 xrs 1100 miles. crank. 20 days after factory warranty. skidoo "goodwilled" a motor and i had to pay 570 for labor, plugs, antifreeze ect. 1600 miles now and running good.......

Well add my 08 xp to the list. Just over 1400mi and squeeked the PTO side piston. In the shop now. Third doo to blow this season in our group. Other two were older ZX 800's. Two rides wasted, blue bird skies and untracked powder everywhere and out comes the pull rope... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Just rode a supercharged Nytro. WOW, who wants to lend me 20K??

I recently went from Yamaha to Doo. I bought an 04 800 Rev with 2000 miles on it. Within 300 miles I've had to put a new topend on it (cracked cylinder and melted pistons). Now I have it in the shop for a crank seal. Hopefully the crank is good. :mad:QUOTE]

This is a common problem with these sleds, has been brought up many times. Every problem I had on my '07 was addressed here before it happened. I bought the sled from a shady dealer and just took it on faith that they had done the updates (they hadn't but shame on me I knew better).

My '07 that broke the crank had blown two belts the day before, my buddy was racing down the trail wot with two older belts I had given him, which I told him not to do. I am sure that had something to do with why the crank blew, it must take extreme force to break a counter-weight. Ski-doo warrantied the motor I was quite happy I did not expect them to do that. I still worry about my xp but I have 1000 trouble free happy miles on it and have peace of mind that ski-doo will stand behind it if I have a problem. My $.02

I hope Cat's new engine doesn't end up like these ones.

Lighter cranks? is that the answer? How did it work for Doo? Time will tell.

Owen

So far I have just shy of 800 miles on my 09 XP with no engine problems. My riding partner has an 08 with no problems either. Knock on wood! :) When I sold my 2001 700 Summit it had over 4500 miles on it with not one problem and it only burnt one belt. :D

My 09 xp had 600 miles. I had what I thought was some electrical problems and took it to the dealer. It wouldn't stay running. The dealer said the knock sensor needed to be reset. Called me and told me it was done and to come pick it up. An hour later he called me back said he was replacing the entire motor because the crank was going out. When they test rode it after the fix started hearing a noise. They said I would have it back in a couple of days. When all was said and done, new motor, flywheel and recoil starter. I was out of my sled two days and didn't have to tow it out when the crank actually went. Props to my dealer for catching it and taking care of it in a couple of days. They actually had a motor in stock!:D

Sled history

All Miles are mtn Miles.
-85 485 Phazer 12,000+ (Odometer stopped 5 years ago at 8,000) Miles, Motor is running great even now. Over 20,000 Miles on chassis (BM Oil)
-98 670X 8531 miles, No motor work needed at all, ran fine until it was hit by a car.:( (best Doo motor to date!) (BM Oil)
-04 800 6256 miles, New rings at 2900 miles, no other motor issues still running good today. (BM Oil)
-07 800X 224 miles on new motor, It has had the engine light flashing since I got it, must be a break-in thing do you guys know? Sled runs fantastic, How long is the break in period? Does the computer let the motor open up once it hits a certain mileage? (will be running BM unless someone can convince me otherwise:D)

No problems with my 09 800r after about 1500 miles this season. Adjusted the oil pump a little leaner and that's about it. I had a 2003.5 REV 800 before the XP with 7000 miles on the motor and I did the pistons and rings around 4000 miles due to ring flaking but other than that the motor was solid.

Last edited:
Why-why-why???

05 800X 2nd Motor, 1200m on first "WHY"?
06 800X 2nd motor, 1800m on first "WHY"?
07 xrs 3rd motor, 1600M ON first, 650 on 2nd, "WHY"?

:confused::confused::confused::mad::mad::mad:

Had a 2008 mxz 800R x package, sold it for stupid reasons at 1200miles with no issues, sled now has 2500miles on it with still no issues and im trying to buy it back from the guy

So what is the deal here? I heard the ski doo 800 was the best motor on the market? Is anyone having good luck with these? I am looking at buying an 06 or 07 summit 800. Should i start searching for something else?

well find one that hasnt had issues and that has had all the good updates

if your willing to get an xp, then there is an 09 summit x in blue and white for $8000-9000cdn in brandon manitoba at action powersports

i worked at the local dealer in mantioba for about 2 years till we shut down, next week i am starting at the new one and up until now i have personally only heard of about 3 or 4 800rs going down on the flat lands, but i have been out of touch from the sled scene for pretty well this whole winter

Here is what I have seen in my circle of riding buddies.
mine- 05 800ho- blown twice, one was broken RKT piston
05 800ho- once, crank bearing
06 800etek- once, crank and top end
07 800r- twice, 1 bottom end, 1 top end
08 800r - once, bottom end
Had a 97 500 and a 2000 700 both were great sleds and the reason I bought a new one in 05.

Premium Features

Back