• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Xp turbo kit

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)
D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I dissagree with this statement 100%.

Dave

Hmmmm carberated turbo's are still tempermental and prone to inconsistant performance when riding in high elevations....On the other hand EFI turbo's in conjuction with a programmed control box will ALL but cure any temperment the turbo might cause as a result of elevation, tempature and barometric change that occure while riding....Big Differance IMHO.

O
Aug 17, 2009
Dave, a carberated turbo does not have the luxury of a Pure Logic, MPI, Debock or Boondocker air/fuel controler like the EFI turbo's do....When your at 10,000 feet with your carberated turbo how do you currently adjust your air/fuel mixture so your setup runs at it's optimum ?

OT

O
Aug 17, 2009
Dave, even if you used a power jet it still doesn't equal the tune ability of how a programmed control box optimizes turbo tuning while riding your turbo in the field .... Pure Logic, MPI, Boondocker just to name a few guys have done alot of work & spent alot of time developing the software, programs for all elevations and years now of field testing to makes it all possible.

At 10,000 feet AIR + FUEL = HP Aspirated or Not

OT

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Ummm....yaaa.... Better bring a spare EFI control box at all times, they are all prone to moisture problems and frequent failure....been there, done that. Give me the simplicity, reliability and consistancy of a carb over EFI anyday.....NA or turbo.

O
Aug 17, 2009
Ummm....yaaa.... Better bring a spare EFI control box at all times, they are all prone to moisture problems and frequent failure....been there, done that. Give me the simplicity, reliability and consistancy of a carb over EFI anyday.....NA or turbo.

Brew, that woud be correct if you were running the 5 year old versions. Condensation would collect inside the unit and than freeze causing the setting to go a little biszirk at times. The latest control box's are head and shoulder better than than earlier one's, "UPDATE" LOL.....Most guys that have kept them mounted to there handle bars have learned & now velcro mount there air/fuel controlers to the belt cover for easy access/tunning where the unit also stays warm, dry and out of the elements.

Heck you can even roll your turbo downhill without fear of bustin your air/fuel controler Brew. How's the saying go..... If you never experianced rolling you sled downhill your not climbing steep enough or high enough !!!!

Jake, While your taking the XP carb rack off to tune i'll be out riding .

OT

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Well...the one I ran last year was new...latest greatest and went through 2 of them....in fact the mfr. even recomended carrying a spare and having a quick change plug in the harness...that's what they do!!. I won't name the brand but it's popular and considered one of the best....and most brands use the same dobeck style housing that is nothing close to waterproof. Everyone I personally know of that has run ANY brand (probaly 4-5 different brands) have ALL had problems. I will say my Boondocker box I ran in '06 was trouble free.
I still like my carbed Doo's. :):beer; Jet it and forget it!

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Well...the one I ran last year was new...latest greatest and went through 2 of them....in fact the mfr. even recomended carrying a spare and having a quick change plug in the harness...that's what they do!!. I won't name the brand but it's popular and considered one of the best....and most brands use the same dobeck style housing that is nothing close to waterproof. Everyone I personally know of that has run ANY brand (probaly 4-5 different brands) have ALL had problems. I will say my Boondocker box I ran in '06 was trouble free.
I still like my carbed Doo's. :):beer; Jet it and forget it!

I have had moisture problems with the dobeck style boxes that attitude and pure logic use. I have had several Boondocker boxes and never had a moisture problem. I chose the Boondocker turbo because I felt like their box was more reliable. I guess carbs still have their place but I'm not sure a turbo application is it. I guess this season will tell but I'm guessing that you all will find the EFI setup much more turbo friendly. The inconsistency in the EFI system that has been mentioned is not an inconsistency in the fuel system as much as it's an inconsistency in the conditions your sled is running in and the fuel system is adjusting. The Boondocker ADA system and new electronic turbo waste gate systems are leaps and bounds further along then when this whole EFI stuff started. I set my box last season and didn't touch it...ever.

Is a doo ever "jet it and forget it?" What about different riding altitudes? How are you guys jetting the turbos to run when a parking lot is at 6000' and some of the riding areas are at 10,000'? I'm not bashing a kit or saying the doo turbo won't work, I'm just curious as to how you guys are getting them to work. I've seen people try to turbo carbed sleds it seems like forever without much success, just wondering what has changed.

O
Aug 17, 2009
There's are alot of boosted Apex's, Nytro's, Cats, Doo's & Poo's ALL using a air/fuel controlers. The numbers of air/fuel controlers in service vs. the issues you discribe is minimal at best Brew....Once again ALL mass produced products have failure issues even Boondookers controler.

OT

O
Aug 17, 2009
Just to clarify.....im not comparing air/fuel control boxes...

Im just stating that when operating a turbo'd 2 stroke or 4 stroke snowmobile that having a air/fuel control box is an "essential tool" when it comes to the operation of a boosted sled VS. Operating a boosted snowmobile without a air/fuel control box. :beer;:)

OT

G
Apr 23, 2008
Dave B. I see your point , well made I understand that completely.
"free",,, never comes without cost..:D

You guys are all pretty cool and more than capable of handling carbed boost.

Now, on to the question of tuning for altitude changes during the riding day.?

Not unlike tuning for wide boost swings , ie 8 psi to 22 psi on a bar mounted bleed button ( clippard ).

typically we would reduce the needlejet orrafice 2-4 sizes, this allows tuning with the powerjet circuit.

Low elevation would be basically 3 1/2 turn or less out, with a 3-4 size smaller main. now you can just clean it up with the knob fora wider range.

I realize my swing is much broader than what would be needed for easy clean tuning with an alttitude change so the tuning changes would be less drastic..

try it , you will be happy , it works really well with the longer powerjet nozzles in todays kits. Most I've seen tip in at half throttle or even less.

The sooner they tip in, thhe wider their effective range of UNDER boost tuning window you have. :D:beer;

Gus

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Gus Bohne claims to be on a crusade to help SW remove the amsnow behavior when it come to defaming a buisness and person......:mad:

Gus Bohne your full of yourself and this post proves it. Gus is one of many in our society that when it suits him it OK. But when it suits others it not OK.

OT
Gus also offers a heck of a lot more then bashing of others products and not giving much credit to those who are trying to get something new going.

he has given a TON as far as tuning info goes. as far as efi goes, there not magic, there only as good as the person punching the buttons, got some buddies that cant get boxes to work for the life of them, they make the sled worse. but they have modded out carb toys that run amazing. its all in the tuner. I will agree, EFI does allow for more fine tuning, and will allow for more precision, but its more then most people need or care for.

and again, cant wait to see the boosted XP's run in cooke this winter!

Reactions: diamonddave

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Dave B. I see your point , well made I understand that completely.
"free",,, never comes without cost..:D

You guys are all pretty cool and more than capable of handling carbed boost.

Now, on to the question of tuning for altitude changes during the riding day.?

Not unlike tuning for wide boost swings , ie 8 psi to 22 psi on a bar mounted bleed button ( clippard ).

typically we would reduce the needlejet orrafice 2-4 sizes, this allows tuning with the powerjet circuit.

Low elevation would be basically 3 1/2 turn or less out, with a 3-4 size smaller main. now you can just clean it up with the knob fora wider range.

I realize my swing is much broader than what would be needed for easy clean tuning with an alttitude change so the tuning changes would be less drastic..

try it , you will be happy , it works really well with the longer powerjet nozzles in todays kits. Most I've seen tip in at half throttle or even less.

The sooner they tip in, thhe wider their effective range of UNDER boost tuning window you have. :D:beer;

Gus

Wow. OT says it won't work on a carbed sled!! Are you sure about this GUS???

Maybe OT doesn't understand that the sled comes with DPM?? Tuning the turbo doo hasn't been the issue he's making it out to be. Reeds!

Oh wait...I don't have any doo experience, LMAO. Those 24 years have been a dream.

Turbo boyz, CPI have a turbo set-up but no one else can doo it because OT doubts they can!!

Good post Skidooinit.

Where's that picture of the 350lb dumbfounded gorilla looking at his stuck Yamacrap at that was floating around?? That's the image I get when I see every OT ignore message.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I love the misconception most have of the carbed two-stroke turbo sleds:D!! I have to thank Aerocharger for establishing that years ago:beer;. Some people are just not willing to continue their education and will only continue to wallow in their own unknowing. Just because of how things were years ago on "this one day" doesn't hold much truth today. If the turbo kit is designed correctly and tuned right the consistency on the carbed sleds is stellar:eek:!! Trust me, I have a turboed efi sled to compare them to. I wouldn't build a kit to have to deal with issues from everybody that bought one. I was happy enough with mine. It was after the comments and remarks I received from others and seeing a "gap" in the market for the turboed Ski-Doos that persuaded me to build a kit to fill that gap. Until more are out and running like a turboed 800cc sled should then some will continue to be uneducated.

Dave Halverson
R&D Custom Turbo Werx

Premium Features