• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Xp turbo kit

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)
T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
No, they wouldnt. Once again you try to baffle with bull**** OT.

I actually took the time and effort to prepare an explanation of why the Aero is far from the ideal turbo for ONE simple reason but then realized it is a futile waste of time.

If anyone ever cares to hear my take on why carb turbos (and efi under certain conditions) wont work with aero's just pm me.

Jake

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
WOW...talk about a hijacked thread....Who cares about age and who promotes who...the big thing for me is customer service. I have been screwed by Boss with their noss and I currently own a Hyperlite sec that works awesome but is dificult to get parts for.I dont just run out and buy things anymore without doing research. I am going to Turbo my sled and it WILL be one of Daves kits...because.... I have talked to him on the phone and you can really get a feel for someone when you actually have a conversation with them,not just about sledding but about life in general.he has done his R and D and he says he backs his work.That is easy to say and only time will tell if it is true.I will be riding with Jake in BC sometime this year I will bag that demo turbo he has and I will get a feel for him as a person as well.After all of that,if he passes my personal "I am a decent human being that wont screw you in the end test" than he will probably do my install.All I know if it works and you do as you say you will get praised and business will be good...BUT if you screw it up...man oh man...you will pay dearly....and I will be happy to bash or praise...

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
^^^^And that is how it should be. Come try out our product, or call me, or meet me at a snow show and see what you think. But dont hide behind your computer screen and flip BS like you know my life story and what Im all about.

Hivoltage, I look forward to going on a ride with you. I am confident that we can provide the level of performance and quality that will make you glad you chose us!

Jake

Last edited:
updated video

hi dave sounds like u got something goin with ur kit. i can't get to ur dealers to test drive one. so i was wondering if u could post a new video showing throttle response and i wanna see some cat walks if not a video of it on the dyno showing throttle response would be great.
Good luck
Thanks

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
The dealer in Canada should have a demo sled that they will let you try. If you can't get to them Jake said he could come up to let you go for a test ride.

Any riding videos this time of year are going to be tough. I might have a dyno run video sometime if time allows for it.

Dave Halverson
R&D Custom Turbo Werx

hi dave sounds like u got something goin with ur kit. i can't get to ur dealers to test drive one. so i was wondering if u could post a new video showing throttle response and i wanna see some cat walks if not a video of it on the dyno showing throttle response would be great.
Good luck
Thanks

O
Aug 17, 2009
No, they wouldnt. Once again you try to baffle with bull**** OT.

I actually took the time and effort to prepare an explanation of why the Aero is far from the ideal turbo for ONE simple reason but then realized it is a futile waste of time.

If anyone ever cares to hear my take on why carb turbos (and efi under certain conditions) wont work with aero's just pm me.

Jake

Dude, FYI there are a lot of smart turbo folks on this website that can read right through your BS. You clearly don't know sqwat about the Aerocharger Johnny-Come-Lately.

For those folks who want to compare turbo's go to www.AEROCHARGER.com or www.TurboByGarrett.com

If the Aerocharger unit were the same price as the Garrett unit which would you choose ?

OT

Last edited:
T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Garrett every time. Every time OT, because Garrett has spent how many times the money developing turbos when compared to Aero?? You choose to ignore every downfall that Aero has dealt with for years... I dont mean to get down on Aero, they have there place for sure. But if you are trying to assemble the highest quality, most reliable, best performing turbo packages then the choice is clear, Garrett by a landslide.

Just to clarify, even your beloved Turbo Performance has switched to the Garrett this year...notice that?? I supose you will say COST is the only reason, I sincerely doubt that.

As for all the turbo guys that you seem to be good buddies with that can read through me, send em' on out. Ill have a few sleds that I would be more than happy to line up this winter. After all, the best way to quantify what you know is through competition right?? Oh wait, you choose to quantify what you know by talking in circles, I forgot.

Jake

O
Aug 17, 2009
Garrett every time. Every time OT, because Garrett has spent how many times the money developing turbos when compared to Aero?? You choose to ignore every downfall that Aero has dealt with for years... I dont mean to get down on Aero, they have there place for sure. But if you are trying to assemble the highest quality, most reliable, best performing turbo packages then the choice is clear, Garrett by a landslide.

Just to clarify, even your beloved Turbo Performance has switched to the Garrett this year...notice that?? I supose you will say COST is the only reason, I sincerely doubt that.

As for all the turbo guys that you seem to be good buddies with that can read through me, send em' on out. Ill have a few sleds that I would be more than happy to line up this winter. After all, the best way to quantify what you know is through competition right?? Oh wait, you choose to quantify what you know by talking in circles, I forgot.

Jake

What downfall does the Aerocharger have?.......Also how many mile do you have on Daves kit ?

Last edited:
O
Aug 17, 2009
Yes with both.....The Garrett can glow so red you light a cigarett off the housing/exhaust flang......It's worthy to note that the Garrett uses hot engine oil to flood the ball bearings to cool, while the Aerocharger since it's self contained unit uses a formulated oil blend to cool it's ball bearings.

OT

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I thought we were talking 2 -stroke turbo setups......no engine oil being used with 2-stroke setups, but the Garrett has a much larger oil supply to cool then the small bath of the aero if I'm not mistakin.....and when I say heat, I am referring to heat transfered to charge air.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Garr Peterson and Steve Packer (TurboDoc) started this whole turbo'd 2 stroke fad... They were both running 2 stroke turbos back in the mid 80's and they have the pistons to prove it!! LOL.

In any case.. Carbed 2 stroke turbos have been around for over 20 years.. I have even had some, myself.. and they work great!! Yes, some of us were running turbos BEFORE turbos were COOl!! and BEFORE the EFI systems!...:eek::confused::eek:

Are the EFI's better? maybe.. But when you have high boost, you are always making power..

As for which turbo is better.. They BOTH have their pros and cons.. The Hiper (Aero) has MANY positives.. Like the self lubricating and variable vane system.. These features are VERY desireable.. and work exceptionally well on a 2 stroke engine..
When Aero had financial issues not so long ago.. THIS is when the turbo hounds NEEDED and were forced to come up with an alternative turbo.. Brad Story led the way on this endeavor and got the Auto turbos up and running on the sno-mo engines.. I saw many flops with the auto turbos in the beginning.. HUGE lag and very incosistent running. After Brad figured out which turbo was ideal..The others followed suit and now it (auto turbos) is the norm.. Is it better?? Not sure.. One thing for sure.. It is MUCH, MUCH Cheaper and MUCH, MUCH easier to repair/replace and availablility is much greater than the Hiper turbos.. These, alone, are a big plus.. And IMO, this are the MAIN reasons behind the Auto turbo's success..

Boondocker has a unique system where they actually have the turbos made to flow coolant through them to keep them cool.. This is a great addition and will really make a difference.. is it mandatory?? NOPE.. but it is a nice feature.

The Hiper 66 series Turbo is an excellent turbo. Capable of 400HP and runs flawlessly.. Steve Packer worked directly with them and they re-designed the turbo for much greater life and much more rapid spool up.. Great turbo for any engine that needs to run over 225 HP.. For most the 53 series work great but are only capable of 225HP which is MORE than ANY pump gas set-up will ever make at the higher elevations.. Spool up is muchfaster and driveability is excellent.. Great set up for under 225HP applications..

Again.. the major downfall with the Hiper turbos is PRICE, AVAILABILITY, and REPAIR COSTS/DOWNTIME.. but, when they are running.. they are excellent.

So, since there are a few companies making XP kits this season.. I would suggest doing a little homework onthe different offerings and going with who you feel the most comfortable with..
Should be an interesting season with the DOO's on boost.. Can't wait to compare against them, myself...

Kelsey

F

Fack

Nov 28, 2007
I've got a little experience with both. The aero uses wicks to transfer oil (capillary action) from the reservoir to the bearings. The garrett uses an external source for bearing oil. The aero has significant insulation between the hot parts and the bearing section. The garrett uses coolant from an external source to cool the bearing housing. both are good turbos and both make good power. I personally think efficiency suffers on an aero when compared to the garrett. The aero uses veins in the exhaust section to speed up or slow down exhaust flow going to the turbine much like a garden hose sprayer speeds up or slows down the flow of water (Boyles Law). The veins are redirecting the air flow and in the process reducing the energy of the exhaust gases. Also the bearings in a garrett are mounted between the compressor and turbine wheels whereas the aero's bearings are mounted on the compressor side. The heat is further from the bearings on an aero when compared to the garrett, but due to the fact that the bearings aren't in the center of the load on an aero the tolerances and operating speeds are way more critical. The balancing on the wheels used to be an issue on the 66 aerochargers in the past but it sounds like things have been fixed. The overspeed is still a problem. With all the load being fixed on one end of the aerocharger excessive speeds cause greater shaft deflection that would ruin the bearings. If you break things in an aero they are a lot more expensive to fix because of expensive parts, and simply more parts. Again, both turbos are good turbos. I personally have a garrett and would recommend a garrett. I've seen both sleds work really well though....

-Fack

Reactions: Leaf27
G
Apr 23, 2008
Those who have been in the aero fray since gerhart first sold unit one will not get back into bed with another ..

In 1983 i had to make my own tooling to rebuidl the untis when the inevitable burn down took out the veins, then the old story of bearing float, race movment and just plain poor design cost not only thousands of dollars per season, but sent you back to the drawing board only to find the turbo and its poor assembly from aerodyne was the real issue.

Many auto customers sufferd dearly as the wick feed oiling of the undersized and underrated ball bearings just got too hot and turn soft.

YES, they do work within there design limits.
Yes , some very small changes have been made
NO they are not any different than they ever really were, maybe a little more passionatly assembled than aerodyne .

I have a soft spot for them, but not soft enough to justify the agg that goes with one in my end use of drag race or lake race.

ALL garrets have had liquid cooled centers for years..not new sorry.
Garrett , has much better flowing maps,

the 66 unit will make 400 hp at 25 + boost, but its over 120 degrees hotter air doing it than a typical 3071.

As it has been since gerharts dream first came to fuition,,, they are just another niche item, the niche never seems to dry up, just keeps replacing its lost follwers with new ..

Each has its followers,, like chevy, ford and bush..LOL

Use whichever makes YOU happy, the end result is they both provide more fun than a bottle of n20..:D

Gus

Last edited:
Premium Features