• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Xp turbo kit

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)
O
Aug 17, 2009
Garr Peterson and Steve Packer (TurboDoc) started this whole turbo'd 2 stroke fad... They were both running 2 stroke turbos back in the mid 80's and they have the pistons to prove it!! LOL.

In any case.. Carbed 2 stroke turbos have been around for over 20 years.. I have even had some, myself.. and they work great!! Yes, some of us were running turbos BEFORE turbos were COOl!! and BEFORE the EFI systems!...:eek::confused::eek:

Are the EFI's better? maybe.. But when you have high boost, you are always making power..

As for which turbo is better.. They BOTH have their pros and cons.. The Hiper (Aero) has MANY positives.. Like the self lubricating and variable vane system.. These features are VERY desireable.. and work exceptionally well on a 2 stroke engine..
When Aero had financial issues not so long ago.. THIS is when the turbo hounds NEEDED and were forced to come up with an alternative turbo.. Brad Story led the way on this endeavor and got the Auto turbos up and running on the sno-mo engines.. I saw many flops with the auto turbos in the beginning.. HUGE lag and very incosistent running. After Brad figured out which turbo was ideal..The others followed suit and now it (auto turbos) is the norm.. Is it better?? Not sure.. One thing for sure.. It is MUCH, MUCH Cheaper and MUCH, MUCH easier to repair/replace and availablility is much greater than the Hiper turbos.. These, alone, are a big plus.. And IMO, this are the MAIN reasons behind the Auto turbo's success..

Boondocker has a unique system where they actually have the turbos made to flow coolant through them to keep them cool.. This is a great addition and will really make a difference.. is it mandatory?? NOPE.. but it is a nice feature.

The Hiper 66 series Turbo is an excellent turbo. Capable of 400HP and runs flawlessly.. Steve Packer worked directly with them and they re-designed the turbo for much greater life and much more rapid spool up.. Great turbo for any engine that needs to run over 225 HP.. For most the 53 series work great but are only capable of 225HP which is MORE than ANY pump gas set-up will ever make at the higher elevations.. Spool up is muchfaster and driveability is excellent.. Great set up for under 225HP applications..

Again.. the major downfall with the Hiper turbos is PRICE, AVAILABILITY, and REPAIR COSTS/DOWNTIME.. but, when they are running.. they are excellent.

So, since there are a few companies making XP kits this season.. I would suggest doing a little homework onthe different offerings and going with who you feel the most comfortable with..
Should be an interesting season with the DOO's on boost.. Can't wait to compare against them, myself...

Kelsey
^
^
^
^
^
Just what he said :D

If your in the buisness of selling turbo kits the average layman has a hard time understanding why a Garrett 28 cost $995.00 and the Aerocharger 66 cost 2495.00 making it very hard for the Aerocharger to compete in a competative market place.

As i've said before if the Aerocharger 66 were the same cost as the Garrett 28 the choice would be simple. :D

It's to bad Packard is a 100% Polaris guy.

OT

Last edited:
D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
For myself even if the Aero was $400 I wouldn't want it. It looks good on paper, but comes up short in the actual application due to the design. Getting parts for them is stupid and that's if you can even get them at all. In a perfect world the parts would be cheaper and the availability would be better, but in a perfect world I don't think the Aero would even exist. They can be made to work in some applications by some guys, but they are few.

Bottom line is this has been debated for years and will continue. This post went from "who's kit" to now "what turbo", man I hate summer.

Dave

O
Aug 17, 2009
Dave, "who's kit" is just as important as "what turbo".

By the way $400.00 buys you a mitsubishi turbo :D:beer; Looks just like a garrett for almost 1/2 the cost of a garrett. www.turbochargers.com clicky on the mitsubishi logo...

OT

Last edited:
R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
This post went from "who's kit" to now "what turbo", man I hate summer.

Dave

Dave,, get use to it... It has little to do with Summer.. If you choose to throw your hat into the "MOD" Game and want to talk about it on ANY public forum.. This is the way it goes 90% of the time..

Glad to see you giving more options for the XP... Can't wait to see them run..

You are in for many surprises... Interesting times lie ahead of you..
Trust me on this one...:D

Good luck with the endeavor.

Kelsey

O
Aug 17, 2009
^
^
^
^
^
What He said.....Dave if your turbo kit is as good as you say over time it will speak for itself.
^
^
^
^
^
Just like the Doo hemi-head above.

OT

O
Aug 17, 2009
Garrett every time. Every time OT, because Garrett has spent how many times the money developing turbos when compared to Aero?? You choose to ignore every downfall that Aero has dealt with for years... I dont mean to get down on Aero, they have there place for sure. But if you are trying to assemble the highest quality, most reliable, best performing turbo packages then the choice is clear, Garrett by a landslide.

Just to clarify, even your beloved Turbo Performance has switched to the Garrett this year...notice that?? I supose you will say COST is the only reason, I sincerely doubt that.

As for all the turbo guys that you seem to be good buddies with that can read through me, send em' on out. Ill have a few sleds that I would be more than happy to line up this winter. After all, the best way to quantify what you know is through competition right?? Oh wait, you choose to quantify what you know by talking in circles, I forgot.

Jake

Curious to know how much seat time you have with the turbo kit ?

Reactions: Leaf27
Premium Features