• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

** Turny Updates **

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
I don't know about Turny but I had a buddy who worked in Whittier today and he said it snowing HARD when they were leaving tonight.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Pws

I don't know about Turny but I had a buddy who worked in Whittier today and he said it snowing HARD when they were leaving tonight.

Lots of moisture moving up into the sound, but not getting over the mountains. Wil be great for Whittier

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River

Whittier??????!!!!!! Good thing it is too early in the season for that place (seeing as how we are "in limbo" for a couple more weeks... kiddo's (loaner) sled is gone, so we are stuck waiting on your shocks - unless ya want to take Lydias beotch out) ;)

ohhhhhh... Jesse and some of the boys are heading to Turny in the AM ~ will let ya know what they report back :D

A

AKHark

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 19, 2008
Anchorage
Ya the snow depth says they only got 1 inch but there was more then that when we got to the parking lot and it was dumping hard when we left. Camera shows its snowing at the Portage turn off so Turny should be gettin some more.

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
wonder if its worth the drive down to just rip around without overheatin?

I AM getting SICK of not riding .

Got a new sled (new to me)this year and after getting back from vacation I have had it out once, and that ride wasent even a ride.

I havent even run a full tank of gas out yet. :(

A

AKHark

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 19, 2008
Anchorage

Got a new sled (new to me)this year and after getting back from vacation I have had it out once, and that ride wasent even a ride.

Same here I got a new sled in December and been out probably 10 times without using a whole tank, something gay happens everytime or the snow just sucks.

I overheated twice in about 2 miles today.

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River

I am sick of not riding too ~ I can't even live vicariously through others with any real joy since conditions have been so crappy. However, I was fortunate enough to get in 20 rides up until Dec 27th - but they only averaged about 20 miles each and not in the greatest of conditions...

I just went in the garage and started my sled so I could smell the 2 stroke ~ baby sounds good and wants to be rode ;) I was ecstatic that I could start her!! (I usually use my left hand to start my sled - but have to use the right now) That's it... next weekend I'm riding!!

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
sorry to be a post whore...

I just talked to Jesse ~ they dropped into the back side and found snow good enough for pow turns all day in the lower areas of the first two bowls - and hero snow to climb anything as high as you want on the slopes. He didn't mention the avy danger (I'm sure for a reason) but said it was a huge contrast to what is on the front side... concrete with foot deep pot holes everywhere.

so, if you aren't planning on dropping over the back side ~ don't waste your time and gas ~ ~ wait for more snow ;)

A

ak m8

Dec 3, 2007
Chugiak, AK

Go to Eureka. Went there yesterday. Really good snow and lots of places to play.:D

Reactions: LiveAlaska
A

ak m8

Dec 3, 2007
Chugiak, AK

I burned a tank at Eureka yesterday!:D:D

M

MTNDVL

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Rode Turny yesterday. Was a blast, made three trips to the top and was totally socked in, before coming down on third trip we decided to go (slowly, could only see about 6 feet) over to main bowl, looked a couple times and decided to drop in and after about a 1/4 the way down got under the fog/clouds and was totally clear. Found good snow all over main bowl and we were first and only tracks in second bowl. Used over a tank of gas by 2:30. Front side sucks but is worth it if going up and over. We played and climbed any hill we wanted and had no issues with avys, snow is set up pretty good although I know the week layer is still there. Did see a hand full of old slides. Blondz has the pics on her computer, didnt take many just some of jumping, will have her post some when I get home.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
yep

WEATHER FORECAST
WESTERN PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND-
INCLUDING...WHITTIER...SEWARD...GIRDWOOD...MOOSE PASS
500 AM AKST WED JAN 28 2009
.TODAY...SNOW SPREADING NORTH THROUGH THIS MORNING. SNOW ACCUMULATION
2 TO 4 INCHES. HIGHS IN THE 20S. NORTH TO EAST WIND 15 MPH. PORTAGE
VALLEY AND EASTERN TURNAGAIN ARM...EAST WINDS TO 25 MPH. AREAS OF
BLOWING SNOW WITH VISIBILITIES TO ONE HALF MILE.
.TONIGHT...SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION 3 TO 6 INCHES. LOWS IN THE UPPER
TEENS TO MID 20S. NORTH TO EAST WINDS 15 MPH.
.THURSDAY...SNOW BECOMING MIXED WITH RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW
ACCUMULATION 1 TO 5 INCHES. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 20S TO MID 30S.
VARIABLE WIND 10 MPH. NEAR SEWARD...LIGHT WINDS BECOMING SOUTH 15 MPH
IN THE AFTERNOON.

Its a start anyways. Hopefully a foot or more. come one baby,

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
yepers

I'm sure you know, but bad side turny is pretty damn nice right now. The sun was shining, and found some great snow. 2 ft at times with a good foot plus in most places. Theres spots that haven't been touched with some epic snow. Good times.

Last edited:
A

AKHark

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 19, 2008
Anchorage
Yup rode the main bowl all day. There was around 8 inches on the flats and over 2 feet on some of the hills. Sunny all day, will be back tomorow.

Premium Features