• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

**thunder mtn - grand mesa 09-10**

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
The Mesa got about 4' by Hotel Twin. I say that from first hand experience. That said, there was virtually no existing base and anyone who has ever rode the Mesa early season knows, it takes about 6' of base to cover up the boulder field that the Mesa is. Need at least one more good storm cycle to hit for it to be safe to ride anything but trails up here. Unless you like replacing A-arms, I'd go somewhere else for now, sorry.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Sure, go hit the ear's and tell me how it is. when snotel says 12" on the west side and 22" on the east I get all excited cause I know that can't be right and there must be triple that amount ;). Just reading snotel, but it's a pretty good gauge. Nothing in the state is really worth a $hit base wise yet. Another 4 footer and then we'll be rockin :D

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
wow, just walked in the door......RE wasnt worth the drive. Didnt see a sled trailer up there, so atleast people arent also wasting there time.
maybe 1-2ft open areas, and high wind blowing it all around.

gonna hit the desert w/ bohica tomorrow, maybe we'll find ya a pic or two?

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
no rattlers, but did see a snow snake.............in the desert

P1000318.jpg

P1000330.jpg

P1000341.jpg

P1000331.jpg

P1000309.jpg

BOHICA

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Colorado
Some of the deepest snow I've ridden in a while. Good times.
The highlight of the day for me was running into Chuck Perkins and Royal Collard, who have been riding the GM since the Indians were around. Both in their late 70's they are an inspiration to me. These two are not trail riders but hardcore boondockers. We found them breaking the SP trail in, not a groomer has touched it yet this year. Smiles on their faces even when buried in four feet of fresh. WOW. My hat is off to the both of you. They mentioned that this would probably be their last year riding, I think I heard that story 10 yrs ago too.
Mark

Last edited:
W
Stopped by to say hi, and not a sole around. Parking lot was perfectly plowed and looked great.

Keithcat is coming out on the 19th and staying at the Grand Mesa through the 23rd, is there going to be any food at the Thunder Mountain Lodge next week?

Would have stayed with you, but last we knew you were buying the Grand Mesa Lodge and wanted to support you there. Unfortunately can't cancel the reservation being so close to the date now.

We'll stop by on the 19th.

I was up riding from 9am - 2pm. Great snow... just got to be careful when your skis disappear with no base. Whackkkk! Careful everyone!

Ed

Last edited:
Premium Features