• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So what’s the difference in turbo kits out there?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I'll get one hopefully this weekend I need to get up the the cabin to take a pic. I have a cad soild model that i will post here shortly. Just need to find it

ok found it. if the pic doesnt work ill give you the link to photbucket

maniflod.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/Turbom700/maniflod.jpg

Now that is what I am talking about.
You might have mentioned this, but have you tried it out?
Are you interested in replicating it?

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
Yes works good.
Sure can make another one.
What sled is it for?
Also do would you want it coming out the front of the top. Top makes it a litter harder and not as clean. Front is alot more smooth flowing also.

Mike

O
Aug 17, 2009
That looks like a sweet concept, however im not sure that i would force all the boost directly at each carberator which that configuration appears to do. It seems like it could cause a lot of "Throttle Chop" at lower rpm's.

Either an airbox or intercooler imo works best because it allows the carberators to "inhale" or "feed" on the boost as the operator/throttle require the power rather than the boost be forced down it's throat. This is especially true at lower rpms or when the carberator slides are barley 1/2 open. At "wfo" it doesn't matter bring on the boost.

It sure looks simple im not so sure the operator operating the throttle will be very happy... So much of the latest turbo technology is geared at making comfortable managable horse power for the rider to enjoy.

OT

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
That looks like a sweet concept, however im not sure that i would force all the boost directly at each carberator which that configuration appears to do. It seems like it could cause a lot of "Throttle Chop" at lower rpm's.

Either an airbox or intercooler imo works best because it allows the carberators to "inhale" or "feed" on the boost as the operator/throttle require the power rather than the boost be forced down it's throat. This is especially true at lower rpms or when the carberator slides are barley 1/2 open. At "wfo" it doesn't matter bring on the boost.

It sure looks simple im not so sure the operator operating the throttle will be very happy... So much of the latest turbo technology is geared at making comfortable managable horse power for the rider to enjoy.

OT

That is the job of the blow off valve.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
That is the job of the blow off valve.

what he said. I have no clue what OT is talking about throttle chop??????

I have tried the o-rings did not have much luck with them after a few hundred miles they always seamed to leak on me. I tried two o-rings still the same tried two x-rings still the same. I machined the throttle bodys so they were with in .0005 of circularity still did not like. Them I back to the good olf fashion rubber boots with good clamps "not worm gear".

I have run up to 14psi thru them and have pressure test them well over 20 no issues.

Mike

O
Aug 17, 2009
Doesn't the carberator slide have to be fully closed to activate the BOV. When the carb slide is 1/2 open or wide open the BOV isn't activated unless there is some kind of new BOV that runs in conjuntion with the carb slide.

OT

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
Doesn't the carberator slide have to be fully closed to activate the BOV. When the carb slide is 1/2 open or wide open the BOV isn't activated unless there is some kind of new BOV that runs in conjuntion with the carb slide.

OT

I have never run a carb sled except for drag racing and I don't do a hole lot of throttle chop:D

My M sleds are all EFI so I can get away from having that issue. I think the BOV is just looking for a difference in pressure between each side of the butterfly/slides. How would having more of a log type manifold be any different?

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut

OT

Actually it is active. I like mine open at idle. Mid throttle has the BOV fluttering, waiting for which way to move. Open the throttle, it closes, chop the throttle, it opens.....

O
Aug 17, 2009
Guy's, the sole purpose of the BOV is when your "off" the throttle and the carb slides are "closed" the BOV will release the pressure the the boost does not return to the turbo which can cause damage as well as big time lag.

There is really no reason for the BOV to activate once you've sqweezed the throttle and your slides are open.

OT

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Guy's, the sole purpose of the BOV is when your "off" the throttle and the carb slides are "closed" the BOV will release the pressure the the boost does not return to the turbo which can cause damage as well as big time lag.

There is really no reason for the BOV to activate once you've sqweezed the throttle and your slides are open.

OT

This is why some peoples sled run like crap, and some of ours put the hurtin to those sleds.....

Your comments are correct, but there is more to it than that. This you will need to learn on your own.

O
Aug 17, 2009
There are lots of thing that can make any turbo run like cr*p, least being the BOV when the throttle is sqweezed and the carb slides open...If you have a bad BOV thats not good. just like any bad part used to operate a turbo is not good.

OT

O
Aug 17, 2009
I haven't owned a turbo for 2 years now. But i get to throw my leg over my buddy's stuff all the time.

1st Choice...would be a Polaris 800 with Steve Packard's Aerocharger 66 (newest unit) running 50/50 blend @ 10# to 12# of boost.

2nd Choice....XP 600 SDI w/Aerocharger 53 running 50/50 blend @ 10# to 12# of boost

3rd Choice....Apex w/Garrett 28R (powderlite Kit) running 50/50 blend @ 12# to 15# of boost

ALL kits must have external cold-air intake

The garrett turbos work good, however the Aerocharge is self contained, built in wastegate and runs alot cooler than the garrett. Plus the Aerocharger66 can make silly sick boost as long as the motor can handle it. And Aero is a better looking unit once installed into a sled.

You get what you pay for :D

OT

Last edited:
Steve's kits run great but he'll be the first to tell you over 15lbs of boost on a 66 is a ticking time bomb, LOL. His sleds drive great though and nobody knows the aerochargers like steve does. If you want simple then he's the choice. If you want sick power run a garette. I ran 20lbs of boost all season on my 700 Polaris with not one problem. I agree the cold air intake is a plus. The SPS kit I run has a a great cold air intake.

Premium Features